• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

JBMasterAngler

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P1140095.jpg

It was a beautiful but cold opener. I fished hard most of the day with only a short lunch break. Came home fishless. frown Not many success stories from Saturday. I had one on briefly and saw only two or three others. All day. Without a doubt, the poorest opener I can recall on Square.

Today was another day. Caught one right away, about 7:30. Two more came through about 20 minutes later. Then just shy of 9:00 I had my second and had to go home. smile Both were nice fat, healthy 14 inchers.

All fishing was done in 6 - 12 FOW. Small panfish jigs topped with two or three Eurolarvae.

That is great! I am trying to talk a walleye guy or 2 to come out and experience the fun of sightfishing for trout. I'll know better by Friday night. You feeling a bit better these days? Been a rough year but I'm praying for you and your family and hopefully the big guy is listening:)

Tunrevir~

Oh yeah, I'm all better. You'll know where to find me if you come out there Saturday morning. I'll be set up by about 7:30. Look for the old purple otter with the even older Jiffy auger.

First time poster, first time ice fishing on Square Lake:

I was out last Sunday (line wet at 8:30am) and only caught a couple of small northerns. Had a trout on but lost it at the hole.

Tried three different locations and the ice was minimum 8 inches each spot, some spots over 10 inches.

I am going to try and get out earlier this Sunday and use some more of the tips I have read in this thread.

If you see two guys that look like they are setting up a Fatfish shelter for the first time, that will be me. (picked one up this week, couldn't pass up the deal)

Lots of action this morning, but it was just one of those days. Lost two in the hole, one was a nice 16 - 17 incher. One I lost when my line got wrapped around my spring bobber. Had another on the ice that flopped back down the hole after unhooking him. shocked Also missed 4 or 5 others. Left fishless. frown

Back this afternoon at 2:30. In 45 minutes I saw two and put both on the ice. Done deal. Limits in minutes. smile Sometimes it just goes like that.

BTW, measured 12" of ice today. Trucks all over the place. Please, if you must drive on 12" of ice, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!

There a good spots all around the lake as the trout are always swimming around. If you look for some of the shoreline points and spots where folks have been fishing you'll get an idea. 6-9 feet seems to be a good range. I like fishing over the weeds which you should be able to find pretty easily in that depth range. Good luck!

Tunrevir~

tunrevir gave you good advice. Every place I've fished this year has been walking distance if that helps at all.

Don't overlook the deeper water during the day. Fish seem to head away from the shoreline during mid-day. They still hang just under the ice.

Good action again this morning.

Lights, if you saw a few, you were in the right spot. Not all seen will take a lure. I've found the fishing to be better in the late afternoon than it is towards evening.

Better luck next time!

Wow, tough weekend for me. From Friday thru yesterday, 12 hours in the shack, only iced two fish. Only saw a handfull in that time.

There were some around me who had better luck, and I HEARD that those who were fishing the deeper water had some success.

FWIW, the water is pretty murky this year, and with the new snow cover this week, it's pretty dark and hard to see very far into the water. If that's making the fish head to deeper parts of the lake for some reason, I don't know.

Still only 13" of ice. Had a full size truck with a wheelhouse set up pretty close to me. Made me a bit nervous. eek

Don, I took my son down Saturday morning for his first shot at the trout. He missed his first one, got the second up to the hole and the line broke and then he caught one to put on the ice. He reported seeing a few fish more then me. I had one come in at 9 and iced it and then we called it a day. Funny thing, I was sitting there and he said he had trout swimming by in his hole so I leaned over to take a peek. Out of the corner of my eye I caught some movement in my hole and looked down just as a muskrat was beginning to climb out on the ice between my feet! Talk about jump! The darn muskrat got one look at me and decided to head on his way grin Water was quite murky and made it tough to sight fish but Nick had a great first trip and was excited to get a rainbow crossed off the "bucket" list.

Tunrevir~

I set up a bit north of where you usually fish. We had the green eskimo shack out. I honestly looked for you and there was a small otter set up where you tend to fish but wasn't you. Your buddy maybe? We fished from roughly 7-9 and then had to head home to get him to swimming lessons. I'm sure he'll want to get out again and chase some trout.

Tunrevir~