• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

JBMasterAngler

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Square Lake will be catch and release only for trout after tomorrow.

Quote:
Square Lake (Washington County) trout: Catch-and-release from

May 9 through June 5 and from October 1 through October 31.

Remainder of the summer and winter seasons the possession limit for trout is two.

That being said, with the cooling water temps, I would think fishing should be good.

I've had good luck trolling small black/silver rapalas. Early and late they may be right up on the surface, if your electronics show they're deep, use a snap weight to get down to them.

If you see them at say 30' over 50' of water, I'll get into 30 fow and drop the snap weight down till I feel bottom, then I know how deep I'm running.

Good luck.

Wanted to bump this to the top. Just a few more weeks and we'll be able to fish here again. It's the only lake I sight fish and realy enjoy it. Anybody else looking forward to the opener?

Besides, my smoker is lonely for some trout. smile

JB, did you get out here last fall?

I might be wrong, but I don't think trout in lakes use structure like other fish do. I was on Cenaiko this morning and it seemed that everybody was scattered around. The fish did seem to be shallower earlier in the day and then they moved deeper but it seemed that no matter what depth they were in they were suspended. I think trout mostly cruise in lakes and they can be anywhere in the lake. Just start drilling holes and fish for a couple minutes and move if you don't see anything.

Thanks! Are they pretty active throughout the winter? Can they be caught at any time during the day, or are there certain times that are better than others? Square Lake is pretty close to my home, so I'd love to be able to spend plenty of time out there trying to figure it out!

Trout activity levels are pretty good throughout the winter. You can catch them anytime during the day, but it seemed like I was getting the most interest before the sun came up and not too long after it did. Today was my first time ice fishing for trout, so I don't have enough experience to say whether or not they are more active in the morning, though. My advice would be to fish it hard and figure out how the fish behave.

My best luck has been from before sunrise to mid-morning. I usually fish in 10' or less, though a friend fishes 40' and does as well at times. In the shallow water after it gets light (if you have a shack) don't even use a bobber, or spring bobber, or even your electronics, just look down the hole. It is the most fun way to fish I've ever done. Trout can be very light biters and are famouse for quickly spitting the hook. If you are watching your jig, you can set the hook as soon as it is inhaled. Very cool watching them move in like a pack of wolves trying to be the first to get your bait.

Whatever depth you end up fishing it seems they are aprox half way between top and bottom. At least that's a good starting place.