• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing Pics HERE!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really all i said was good job on his harvest, sorry to offend you

Hey man, no offense taken. I was just taking an opportunity to educate those that don't know the difference between carp and buffalo. Believe it or not, many folks don't know the difference.

ralph...should we start eating skunks and raccoons now? they are native? how bout the coyote i shot the other day?

just stirrin the pot a little smile

i say to each their own as long as the fish are being removed from the lake and not left on shore to rot. ralph you are right though in your assertions that many do not realize that buffalo are not related to carp and are a native species.

Thanks guys. I will be getting out again Friday but then I'm headed to the cabin for the weekend, but not before I stop at my buddys in Alexandria and shoot a couple more pigs. I'll post again Tuesday when I get back.

I have thought of bowfishing. It looks like a lot of fun. I have a smoker so whatever I kill I would smoke. I just don't get seeing someone shoot 60 fish, and just throwing them out. It seems wrong, and it gives "outdoorsmen" in general a bad name. I understand it is legal, I am just a normal guy I have no authority to stop anyone from doing what they legally can. But I have a right to voice my opinion, and that is; it sickens me to see the useless slaughter of so many fish. Now with that being said can I make a suggestion? What about donating them to a food shelf, or a homeless shelter. Then you could shoot as many as you want, and the fish could go to a good cause.

... useless slaughter...

I disagree. Pulling large numbers of carp from a lake can help improve that lake for other fish, and wildlife, namely waterfowl.

May I suggest that you catch a bunch of carp and try donating them to a food shelf or homeless shelter. Please let us all know what their reaction is.

I have thought of bowfishing. It looks like a lot of fun. I have a smoker so whatever I kill I would smoke. I just don't get seeing someone shoot 60 fish, and just throwing them out. It seems wrong, and it gives "outdoorsmen" in general a bad name. I understand it is legal, I am just a normal guy I have no authority to stop anyone from doing what they legally can. But I have a right to voice my opinion, and that is; it sickens me to see the useless slaughter of so many fish. Now with that being said can I make a suggestion? What about donating them to a food shelf, or a homeless shelter. Then you could shoot as many as you want, and the fish could go to a good cause.

I would love to find a food shelf that would take carp!!! Ha ha. I don't know anyone that has even tried to eat a carp.(besides smoked) They are bottom feeders, that means they eat all the other [PoorWordUsage] and lord knows what else laying on the bottom. Also, typically when you bowfish, you shoot the fish and put it into some kind of barrel or bag, all the while the sun is beating down on it pre-marinating it. They don't make a cooler big enough to hold any kind of numbers. Not trying to be rude but thats pretty funny.

if you are able to find a food shelf or anyone that wants to take them post and im sure pleny of people would donate them. I know that some hog farmers would take them, but if you able to find a food shelf let use know

If you want to start an argument about the "ethics" of bowfishing, start a new thread and we can all argue about it there. I am sure it would get a big response and run to 5-9 pages in a hurry.

If you want to post up some pictures of bowfishing, or look at them, do it here. Right now we have 5 pages of this thread, and only 8 total pictures.

Stop the bickering and show some PICS!!!!

I am in the final stages of getting my boat issues figured out, when I do, look out, I am geting back in the game. I will post pictures when I do. Untill then, I want to see others harpooning adventures.

I came across this guy while out after some carp today. I told my buddy before we went out that I want to shoot a nice gar and managed to do just that...

IMG_0411.jpg

46" long, I couldn't get an accurate weight but he is about 10 pounds.

I think they are a real interesting species and would be somewhat unique on the wall. Does anyone recommend a taxidermist in South Central Minnesota or South Metro that is capable of mounting a gar? I am open to suggestions.