• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spro Bronzeeye Frog

ShoreGuy1984

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shoreguy alreay has the popper version... get him! lol I love popper style weedless frogs!they just displace more water, even on a steady retrieve. I have yet to get a popper version though, I think I have plenty of time though.

Tough to say goodbye to the snagproof ultapopper, what a bait!!!

lol. Yeah I wish they had the white/green colored Bronzeye in the popper version. last year I had lots and lots of luck on just regular poppers, so I figured Ill try a frog popper. Fishing with poppers is a blast, even if I dont catch anything !

spro all the way. use them every were slop, dockes, openwater, reeds, rockpiles,im sure you all know what i mean. havent noticed the stiffer body being a problem if i loose a fish its my fualt. going with the jr this year

I'm not going to lie guys but I like the orignal Scum Frogs way better. So many people throw these spro frogs now that I go with the scum frog because the fish have seen the spro so many times. I have nothing against Spro they do have some good looking baits just choose not to use them. Who knows its all preference!

I'm going to tell a truth about myself as well.. I'm not a huge fan of them either.. or at least I dont see the reason behind the cost.. My personal fave are PopN Scum Frogs.. But then again, I do replace the hooks on them as I think they are junk. I dont really care what color I throw or if the paint comes off. I rarely care about color of any topwater bait as more likely its just a an outline the fish are seeing anyway. and through grass for sure..

I have nothing against the bronzeye, just cant see spending that much on it when other cheaper options work just as well in my opinion. I have no prob spending that much on a bait if I feel its actually worth it, and is different. Heck I buy some lucky craft and some discontinued cranks worth twice what the bronzeeye is worth.

I have a real tough time shelling out the money for the Spro frogs, but I always seem to come back to them in the long run. I've tried 4-5 different brands of plain frogs and a couple popper frogs as well, and none of them seem to hold up quite as well or have as good of hooks as the Spro Bronzeyes. Not to mention some of the softer brands suck in water like nobody's business and end up starting to sink. That'll get a guy frustrated quick if you're fishing the frog for any significant period of time.

I like the spro frogs and throw them most of the time now just because i feel they cast a bit better but I still have a scum frog tied on alot of the time for a few reasons. one is the price frogs just get ripped up to much by northrens and they are softer as mentioned before which I feel makes the fish hold on to them longer makeing for a better hook set

Tonka, the hooks usually will wear little slits eventually anyways so it doesnt really seem to affect the life of the frog. Also when I Fish Trophy Frogs Ill take the body off the hook entirely and put a Northland Buckshot rattle on the top of the double hook usually by wrapping it with Power-Pro and then soaking it in superglue. Brass on glass is much louder than brass on plastic and also much heavier which is what makes the wake bigger-and thats what frog fishing is all about. Down South they fish Bobby's Perfect Frogs by cutting the legs off entirely and filling the holes with 1/8 oz. lead or Tungsten Bullet weights, talk about your frog sinking on the pause then! They do this to get the maximum wake going and to really give that bass a sense of where your bait is through that 18" thick mat.

I am a big bronze eye fan. I think their construction, hooks, and paint quality is reflected in the price. With regards to color, I fished in a tournament last summer and I was throwing a green spro and also switching it with an all black one, and I wasn't nearly as successful as the guys who were throwing all white frogs and rats. The guys throwing white were killing them, and big fish too.

Love the bronzeyes, I prefer the jr. They all cast really well and havnt notice many misses as compared to when I used scumfrogs. Last year I started throwing these around docks and walking the dog with them and did really well. Ive hear the swamp donkeys walk even better so Ill probably pick one up this year if I can find them.

I'm also hooked on the Spro frogs - way better presentation in my opinion although now more company's are puttting out knock-offs. As for Swamp Donkeys - I have been told that they are being discontinued so if you like 'em you better get some while they are still around.

I enjoy using the spros reg & jrs and have good luck. Some misses but I figure one for the fish when it happens. Found that a small titanium leader doesn't affect the action and I don't lose any to those pesky hammerhandles. It seems that timing on the hookset is a key to frogs. I prefer weedless jigs, but love the excitement of topwater. Boated and released a 44" muskie last summer on a black Spro.

P1010062.jpg

Ive been reading all the post in here and from what I hear, the black color works quite well. I never thought how the Bass would look up at the bait aganist the sky. I just got back from fleet farm and got the black Spro Jr. Man I cant wait to try this baits out !

Me and my brother did alot of frog fishing together last year, we experimented with most of the brands and colors. What we concluded:

-Black seems to get the most action

-The harder bodies reduced hooksets

-Expensive isn't always better (furbits were are least favorite)

Our favorite turned out to be the scum frog trophy series. They aren't the most durable frogs (eyes fall off), but we liked their subtle bobbing action, and price at $5...

So I would personally rate them:

1. Scum frog trophy series

2. Bobby's perfect frog

3. Spro

Gotta love a good frog bite smile