• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line should i use?

Far-I

Superlines all the way, and you can probably get by with 14lb or 20lb in them too. Everyone will tell you what brand they like, but really it's preference. I think I am yet to break a superline on a fish, with mono it was happening a couple times a year (usually because I forget to check and re-tie after it got nicked up).

Are you looking for casting distance? that makes a big difference...I don't use much 10 lb., I can cast 6 or 8 much better, but I'm usually looking for distance as well. And I tend to use the lightest line (within reason) for the size fish I expect to catch, taking into account the amount of brush, snags, etc...in the water I'm fishing. Personally, I don't get into braids until I get into heavier line classes and tougher fishing situations; heavy weeds, wood, muskies...

gotta disagree there. Throwing spoons on the shore is exactly what I love the 6 lb for. Not to be a jerk, but I challenge anyone to outcast me with any braid:) Yes, it's tougher, and might save you a fish; but I'll take 6 lb trilene lx for castability. Put a 5/8 kroc on a full spool with the right rod, and you can light a cigatette waiting for the thing to land.....way out there! (PS I actually quit smoking 24 years ago)

I use 14/6 Fireline and can cast a mile with it. I also like that it is no stretch so I can set the hook on a fish that hits far from the boat with no problems. I would imagine that 6 lb. mono would have a ton of stretch at the end of a long cast which may cause a few missed hooksets. The 10 pound test Fireline is also wonderful.

If your lookig for pure distance, I haven't casted a ton of lines, but Triple Fish think its called triple x copolymer, is soooo limp and casts sooo far. When I tried it, I couldn't believe it. I have hardly used it though cause it stretches to much for my liking.

Squeedunk...yup, line stretch is my only gripe with mono, and I've tried light braid and lost casting distance. Useing a long rod and making a long sweeping hookset I don't miss many hits, but i know I might be better off losing a little distance and having the no stretch line. Just can't bring myself to giving up the distance:)

Tonkabass...I've probably went thru a couple dozen spools of 6 lb. XL after doing this for 20 + years, so I don't think it was a special spool. If you ever come up to the shore, I'm only 2 minutes from the french and would be available to school you on short notice:)

Far-1 was talking about 10# mono. Traveler is casting 6#. There is a pretty big difference in casting performance between 6# & 10#. In general the braid will cast farther. I'm not sure if it’s relevant with the spoons you're throwing, but generally a lure runs deeper with braid than mono. If you do use a braid, I love power-pro.

Go with the super braide! It won't coil like mono and it will last for years. If you think fish will see it add a 3' fluorocarbon leader to the end of it or Add a mono shock leader to the end of it. Fluorocarbon and mono lines is just leader material if you ask me.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to go with the 10 lb power pro and i have some 12lb or 6lb fluro i can throw on a leader. just got a new 9ft med fish eagle II steelhead rod with a spirex 4000 fg reel.

i'm tempted to go to the local pier and practice cast out on the ice until i can make a run down to the shore! wink