Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
olbaidhh

State Warns About Eating Fish From Henn. Co. Lake

19 posts in this topic

State Warns About Eating Fish From Henn. Co. Lake

ST. PAUL (AP) ―

The department said Friday that people shouldn't eat fish from Twin Lake in Robbinsdale and Crystal more than once a month.

The department has issued similar warnings after PFCs were found in lakes Calhoun, Elmo and Johanna.

PFCs were first discovered in metro area lakes in 2007.

The chemicals were made by Maplewood-based 3M beginning in the 1940s for such household products as Scotchgard and Teflon. The company no longer makes the chemicals.

There are few studies of the health effects of PFCs on people, but studies by 3M of workers exposed to PFCs during manufacturing show no apparent problems.

However, laboratory studies have found high concentrations of PFCs caused changes in the liver and other organs of test animals

geeeez! Twin and Crystal are my home waters! I don't think i've EVER eaten anything outta them though.

Of course the studies of 3M by 3M are going to favor 3M.There capping all the wells in that area showing signs of PFCs.I believe 3Ms payin the bill. Now the lakes? they'll only find more lakes and the list will grow just as the area well list has continuly grown since first discovered,by people constantly sick! But it does no harm???

Its a bummer because those lakes are right down the road from me too. I guess I never really ate anything from out of there but its still too bad. Twin has seemed to decline since they did that bridge project, dont really see anyone out there much. Used to be a decent little hole to go throw a line in once in a while, lots of stunted crappies and sunnies now. I guess its good that i didnt keep anything from there after all.

Only good thing is the fish don't stick to the pan when you fry them. hahahaah laugh

LOL!!! grin

Originally Posted By: BartmanN
Only good thing is the fish don't stick to the pan when you fry them. hahahaah laugh

LOL!!! grin

Hilarious laughlaugh

Ya, you could say they really slide right through you too.

Hmmmm is it white castle or is it fish from Hen Lakes?

Thats one thing about White Castle- either you really love it or you really hate it. There is really no in between with them.

Back on topic, I am really trying to figure out why any company ever thought pumping stuff into any body of water was a good idea.

I'll guess 3M knew it was bad! But back then pollution was a given fact it was ignorance on most behalfs but 3M scientists??? I bet they just kept quiet knowing their job was at steak!

Back then the Mississippi was next to dead raw sewage flowing in was accepted!

Ya how the times have changed. I always hear my grandpa and the old guys talk about the good old days, but im thinking we got better conditions now (maybe not better fishing, but i wasnt there so i got no clue about that). Some of the things that used to happen are almost unimaginable now.

Aren't there alot of lakes closer to the 3M plant than Twin Lakes in Crystal?? Makes me wonder about the rest of the lakes in Mpls/St Paul.

I don't eat any fish from the lakes in the Metro area anyway because of the polution concern

I used to fish Twin Lake alot in the winter. Mostly for pike.

I'd put out a couple of tip ups, sit in the truck and read the paper and wait for a flag.

If a flag didn't fly by the time I was done, I'd do the crosswords. If nothing by then, I would usually wind it up and make the long five minute drive home.

I ate a couple of pike out of there years back, pickled em. Then I read in the Minnesota Volunteer where pickling doesn't destroy parasites like tapeworm larvae that might be in the meat....that pretty much ended my pike fishing in the winter.

But I was thinking about something? Wouldn't a person get a higher dose of the contaminant by cooking on a Teflon surface, or spraying, or using a product like ScotchGard? Way more then what a fish fillet would contain.

You can still buy Teflon stuff, we got a gridle for Christmas,so I'm wondering,where is the contamination from the new products going now?

You can still buy Teflon stuff, we got a gridle for Christmas,so I'm wondering,where is the contamination from the new products going now?

Nowadays they have facilities that can get rid of things like toxic wastes legally and safely. I know it was kind of a chick flick, but Erin Brockovich was a pretty good movie showing the effects of things like this.

I ate a couple of pike out of there years back, pickled em. Then I read in the Minnesota Volunteer where pickling doesn't destroy parasites like tapeworm larvae that might be in the meat....that pretty much ended my pike fishing in the winter.

Before putting the fish in the brine it should be frozen. That will kill a lot of the parasites that cooking would normally kill.

If you completely freeze your nortins' first you won't have any parasite problem.Lived in bc for over forty years,used to eat sunnies,norts out of Twin weekly(Were not growing gills ,yet?)c63