Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big A

Fish House Insurance

30 posts in this topic

As a new owner of a custom wheelhouse. I am hearing stories of houses being vandalized or stolen madsick

What are the insurance options? How much does it cost? Any good companies to go through?.. or good stories of something bad turning out to be okay because the house was insured?

I am interested in insurance. Just wondering what the options are based on your experiences confused

Thanks

I have am fam and it cost about $24 a month to have fully covered for theft fire etc. Including up to $1500 for stuff inside. 0 deductable. You can get cheaper with a higher deductable and less insurance on stuff inside. They said they would cover going thru the ice too.

I know some companys will insure them as RVs, it might be worth it to check prices that way to see if it's cheaper.

Mine is insured as a RV. It is actually cheaper to insure as a fish house but they do not cover anything inside of it.

When you say the "do not cover anything inside" do you mean gear you leave inside or things that are part of the inside of the house like heaters, stoves, lights, bunks, built-in stereo's etc.? Or both?

I beleive it would not cover any gear but would cover attached items up to $500 if I remember right.

The company from which I just retired and sold my agency endorsed them (wheel houses) right to the auto policy. Contents; items that can be removed and taken with you would be covered as an endorsement for contents if you wished. A skid house with our company was considered personal property under your homeowners policy and would include loss of contents just the same as your home. We had a couple of these losses paid out over the years. The cost on the wheel house coverage was dependant on the value of the unit. Bill

How many out there have Insurance on there Permanent Houses?

I pay about $ 50 a year with a $ 500 deductible. I have my house insured for $ 7,000 - Actually its 47 and some change

$50 a year !

That is awesome! I purchased my house for 5 grand... if I could insure it for 7 .. that would be unbelievable for $50 a year!

Any hints towards who you have it insured with?

mine i sfully covered at replacement cost with my homeowners policy. i have been with state farm for about 15 years. it was from my old fishhouse getting totaled out in a storm while it was in storage, that i found this out as they cut me a check for current cost of matierls and labor that i have the one i do now. ... paul

I was pretty happy too - it is a no brainer to have the insurance - Farm Bureau

I believe that if it does not have a serial number(built it yourself) then it would be covered as personal property under your homeowners. If you have a house that DOES have a serial number on it(most manufacturers of houses) then you have to insure it as an RV.

I believe that if it does not have a serial number(built it yourself) then it would be covered as personal property under your homeowners. If you have a house that DOES have a serial number on it(most manufacturers of houses) then you have to insure it as an RV.

My neighbor registered his home made house. When he got the plate and tabs for it, they also sent a serial number with it that he is to attach to the frame of the house. Wouldn't this work for RV insurance as well? It's not a manufactured house, but it has a serial number.

My new house is the same. It has a title. and is registered as an RV.. sticker with a serial # on the tongue...

I would think that means I HAVE to insure it like an RV ?

8 years ago I built my house and insured it for $4300, this winter when it burned down, thats what I got $4300. Now when I priced everything out it would cost me $10,500 to rebuild it the way it was. The steel and siding cost took an unreal jump. Thats my fault for not pushing the coverage up. Also don't place your fish house under your homeowers insurance, because if you have claims, it will go up. we had 2 storm damage claims this summer and now the fish house and we got a letter about how much it could go up with the next claim. Like I had any control over any of it.

this is all good to know you guys! i am looking at building a house this summer and knowing i can get insurance for not that much money makes my day!!

hawkeye43 i guess that is a good pt on the claim issue. If it is that cheap I guess I might insure it outside of homeowners. I just said that as that is what my agent told me was an option(the serial number thing). $41 I will do that instead. I think he was just trying to save me money.

I am confused as to why it would be insured as an RV as it should be a camper/trailer coverage and endorse the policy for contents/personal property..... I would think it would need to have an engine to be considered a RV....and if it has wheels you are most likely not covered under your homeowners policy...

They told me it could either be covered as a trailer or as a RV/Camper but the trailer coverage would not cover contents.

$41 a year sounds great also. Who is that with?

I am not too worried for the remainder of this year... but def will be making some calls soon..

this is great info. I never knew it could be insured for so little cost !

$41 a year sounds great also. Who is that with?

I am not too worried for the remainder of this year... but def will be making some calls soon..

this is great info. I never knew it could be insured for so little cost !

Are you not worried about it being stolen, vandalised, a tree falling on it, or anything else that could happen to it....just cause it is not being used on the ice or being used at all doesn't mean that nothing can happen to it......if you can find it for under $200 a year that is just under $17 a month I think you should look into insuring it now.......