• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mice eating holes in both my portables

bigminnow

I just went out yesterday for the first time with a new portable i bought last season. I was bummed to find 3 new mouse holes in the canvas cover. Now both of my portables have holes in their canvas from mice.

Has anyone found a good way to prevent mice from chewing up their portables when in storage? I guess i need to get the mouse traps back in the garage.

bigminnow

try storing them where there aren't any mice...

then you aren't gagging from moth balls, deoderant, and peppermint when you go fishing

I've stored mine in the basement before (flipover) and in a CLEAN garage w/ lots of mouse traps around the walls with no problems in 10 years. I used to have mouse holes in some prior to that, but and tried most of the aforementioned wive's tale remedies listed with little success (other than developing a weeze while trying to fish...).

Now I have about 6-10 plastic snap (newer clothespin type) mouse traps around the perimeter of the garage wall and through the use of a pulley system, store the portables in the rafters. I average about 1-3 mice a year in my trapline and have yet to see any holes.

Just open the traps (buy the brand w/ the large square pans) and face them to the wall creating a hole/passage way for the rodents. Seeing as they naturally follow the walls, I don't even have the need to bait them.

the fresh cab does work i've used for 3years now.

ill vouch for this stuff too! we use it in all our tractors/combine and never have mice trouble we store our houses in the same shed w/ some fresh cab in each house and never have mice....moth balls work too but youll die of the smell!!!

The fresh cab works pretty good. Also you could leave a new 5 gallon bucket(perfectly smooth sides) in the house with a little food in it, wheat or something that will not get old. That way if they do get in they jump in the bucket and die in the bucket without doing damage. This also works great for vehicles and campers. Just set the bucket on the floor so its touching the seat so they can jump right in.

I would also reccoment fixing your mouse holes with fabric mend right away. That stuff works pretty well.

Originally Posted By: looneyducer
I loaded mine with moth balls last Spring. Two new holes this Fall.

I'll be trying dryer sheets next year. I hear Downy works best.

Isn't Downy a liquid?? I think you mean Bounce

That's what I said! But Nope, they make a dryer sheet as well. They stink way more than Bounce, which is probably why more people claim success with them.

I guess we'll see.

After the season is over I clean my canvas and remove it from the sled and poles. I then place it in a large rubbermaid container. No problems with them at all. I put the tote in the sled and attach to garage ceiling. Clean and easy and always works