• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New home tools

Grant Pearson

I just bought a new (to me) townhome. It's the first home purchase for my wife and I, and just thought I'd ask what tools people thought were absolutely necessary to have around the house.

My list thus far:

(the first few are obvious to me)

hammer

screwdrivers (both philips and straight

level

battery operated drill

drill bits

nails, screws, nuts and bolts

crescent wrench

few other wrenches

What else am I missing? any/all help is much appreciated.

Your list plus this stuff:

Pliers: both needle nose and wire cutter

Vise Grips

Allen Wrenches

Trouble light or some other type of light

3/8" socket set SAE and Metric

With that stuff you should have a good start.

Oh yeah one more thing some type of tool box to put all of you stuff in.

Well as far as Circluar Saws how much do you want to spend? Or how often will you use it? I have a 60 dollar Porter Cable which is just a rebagged Black and Decker. Its ok I dont use it alot someday I'll get a better one. I'd say a good brand if your just starting out and not going to use it a lot but still want a good saw for the price would be a Master Force from Menards I think there like a 15amps and sell for about 90 dollars if my memory is right and it comes with a nice case. Or a Ridgid from Home Depot isnt bad either I think they sell for around 100 bucks. But if you want THE best get DeWalt, Milwakuee, a real Porter Cable, Hitachi, Bosch.

I forget about Skil Saws are good too would be a nice starter saw they also make some highend saws and low cheap saws. Craftsman arent bad either. So that really leaves the door open but theres lots of good saws out there.

I moved in to my first place 4 months ago and all I can say is thank god Menards is only 3 miles away. I swear I'm there 2-3 times a week. If you don't have one, get a cordless drill and drill bit set. Seems I'm using mine in the garage or house at least once a week. A 6' ladder is a necessity. Socket set, hacksaw, extension cords, 3' level, utility knife, etc. My next purchase will be a circular saw. Like mentioned, buy stuff as needed. A new project will let you know what you need. Have some cash on reserve and go out and by the right tools. It's never ending but fun work.

Like mentioned, buy stuff as needed. A new project will let you know what you need. Have some cash on reserve and go out and by the right tools. It's never ending but fun work.

I think the rule is every new project requires the purchase of at least 1 good tool.

1 tool I absolutely wish I had is a high quality Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw.

Really depends on how much remodeling and fixing a guy is going to get into but there is probably not a more versatile saw for around the house. From cutting dimensional lumber to length to cutting trim and moldings, all exact and perfect cuts.

I know... probably not in the 1st time homebuyers budget but it would get used A LOT around my place in the next year.

Tape measure

Cordless tools, most notably a drill as noted, but the entire B&E (drill, sawzall, light, and small circ saw) kit is prefered, but problably not in the budget.

When buying tools try to buy the best tool you can. Good tools are worth it, and it saves you from buying them twice.

For around the house, a cordless tool set (like ryobi has) is a must for me. and a small finish nailer. and a sander. Depending on how much you are going to do yourself but pawn shops usualy have good tools pretty cheap.

I need alot of tools lol, I ride Harleys, fish camp work around the house, have a perm shack, hunt, work on cars. Would you think that at least 1 tool would do repairs on everything? nope! I keep a 200 sumthing tool set in my motorhome, another set in my bikes , one in the truck. plenty more at the fish house. a ton more up nort. just go to sears and get a tool set, the biggest one you can afford, the start building up from that.

A scissors. That's all you need. Good for stripping wire, turning screws, opening paint cans, pounding nails(when using the handle end), etc. Admit it, who hasn't used a scissors in a way it wasn't meant to be used?

Get one of those pry bar / alignment tool kits - 3 different sized ones - they have them at Northern or Sears. You will be amazed at how many times you will use them, especially the small one.

I'd also say a good center punch and punch set.

For power tool I have to say, after the cordless drill, the cordless circular "trim" saw is the thing that gets used the most for me. Get a metal and masonry blade(s) and coupled with a square you are set for anything you need to cut smile

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.