• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter layering from the skin out.

Ed Carlson

Ya well, we have all been there..right.

41KN3GW3B1L._SS400_.jpg

Great thing is now we don't let Mom dress us for the cold anymore and modern materials are far more thermal efficient, less bulky, and lighter, and in the end far more comfortable and warmer.

What are you favorite base layers materials and layering options including the ice suit or outer shell of choice.

Thanks in advance.....Ed

Ed,I had been using Under Armor,but I'm trying out the new Ice Armor base layers and their socks also.So far so good.They do smell funny though.Then I use fleece and outside, Cabela's signature rain gear.The rain gear just won't give up and I'm too tight to buy new when the old is still working.

For base layers I use a layer or two of under armor and depending on how cold it is I throw in a layer of your old fashion long underware long sleeve top. A fleece material is a real good idea as previously stated but I personally havent tried that. I also like to add a nice thick hooded sweatshirt. My Ice armor suit is almost too warm when I layer my base layers. I really have to remember to slow down when doing physical work as I get sweaty real easy. That is not a good thing.

Originally Posted By: McGurk
Sorry Ed, but that's Randy.

I hear your point, though.

Good catch...my bad. That is his Little Bro not Ralphie.

Still one of the funniest parts of the show to me. Waddling down the sidewalk like a penguin...LOL!!

Randy was Ralphie's little brother.

I can't put my arms down!

Well... put your arms down when you get to school.

I made the move on some UnderArmor and I'm impressed, but nothing I've seen in outerwear has moved me off of the old Air Force surplus pants and Parka yet. I thought the grey suit from Ice Armor would do it -- their bibs are something else -- but their hood design is ineffective.

I like the Gander Mt. nock off of the X armor. Its cheaper and the real deal. I wear that under my pants and then wear my arctic armor bibs over that. Upper layer is the Gander top moc turtle neck, a fleece top, usually a flannel shirt or a hooded sweatshirt and then my Arctic Armor.

Mad Bomber Hat on my head and choppers with a good layered wool liner.