• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darkhouse Spearing Photos Gallery

bassNspear

I got one of Daves spears this year and it is truly an amazing spear.  A work of art is not an understatement and I could not be happier with it.  My daughter took a friend out spearing last weekend and they would not even bring this spear out on the lake.  As my daugter said "If I lose it in the bottom of the lake I know I am going swimming.  We will just use mine".  I hate to say it but she is right....she would be going swimming. 

31 minutes ago, slurpie said:

Started spearing 5 days ago. Finally got on a spot with some northern. Missed the first one got him the second time. Ended up with 3 24-28". I was in 12' any tips for spearing that deep.  It was fun. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

My home lake is deep. Best tip I have for deep water is a heavy spear. 

Got this 36". This morning. I thought and wish it was bigger.  Or it would still be swimming. Came in smoked the decoy. I speared it not good I ran out of rope buddy stuck it knocked my spear out. He only had one tine in it. Got off in the hole. I stuck it again pretty good he put his back in for good measure.  Wow. I'm hooked  it was fun.  My goal is to get more 24-28" let the nice ones swim. 

image.jpg

Good job getting her in! I am glad she didn't slip away from you Slurpie. It sure is a good idea to have a backup spear in the house. 

in a clear lake it is sometimes hard to target a weed line in under 10' of water. I have taken fish in as deep as 18' of crystal clear water. It helps to line up the fish for a straight drop, using a heavy weighted center spear like a Dillo, or 9tine's, as these do not plane off target on long shots. Commercial spearers on the great lakes used to use really long spears on a mechanical release system and a hole cut in the top of the house to accommodate the extra long shaft of their spears, which they carefully lowered as far down to the fish as possible without spooking them before the release. 

I couldn't agree more about letting those 30" plus fish swim, and I am glad more spearers are embracing "look and release" these days. As one friend is fond to say, "they keep better in the lake versus the freezer."

I also couldn't agree more about enjoying being as far away from anyone else as possible. It is why I love spearing way up north more than anywhere else. Nobody seems to care much for spearing (at least where I go), and people would not think of crowding another spearer or angler. I often have the entire lake to myself.

For me a dark house is a temporary escape from the modern world. The sounds of the ice on cold days, a raven, eagle or pheasant cackling contribute to the whole experience.  On the other hand, the sound of generators, people talking, music, vehicles, augers, etc is distracting.