• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice sled Hitching problem

Tinkhamtown

Put your rope through a piece of PVC or metal conduit just shorter than the rope. That's a cheap fix. Make sure you put a washer or tie a big knot on the hitch end so the rope doesn't get pulled back into the tube while it's unhooked.

Ferny.

I just spent part of sunday taking care of the same problem. I welded up a light ridgid hitch that will connect to the 2" ball on the 4 wheeler and quick connect to my scout and x2. It works great. I can't wait to be able to use it.

Big DS, the rules last year was that was only needed if people were riding in the tub, if I recall - but that might have only been for sleds, not ATVs, I am not sure. But I am in the process of putting a hitch on two snowmobiles I just got, as I have used both rope and the "factory" rigid, and the rigid is muuuuuuch better for many reasons.

The tube on the rope fix is a good cheap answer yet it can become a hassle once you need to fold it to get into a rig.

A new Frabill tow hitch has quick disconnects on both ends. The base hardware stays in place and folds out of the way. They will bolt to just about any sled that was rigged with a rope.

Box MN. I think you are correct about the metalic hitch only if someone was riding in the sled. I have used the rope thing also and I think that spending the $60 for the rigid hitch for my Otter Lodge was the best money spent when it comes to pulling the sled and my own safety while driving the atv. Especially down a hill to the lake.

Thanks for the ideas.

Used your idea to make two hitches one for an Otter II sled and one for my Fish Trap Yukon. Used four 150# key chain snap rings, four 3/8” eyebolts, two ½” PCV pipe 10’ long, and some good nylon rope. Bolted eyebolts to the front corners of both sleds using existing holes and lots of wasters and nuts. Cut two 10’ PCV in two making four 5’sections and ran rope through two pipes and attached snap rings on each end. Snap rings go on and off the eyebolts on the front of the sleds very easily. Then on the end that hooks to the ATV ball hitch I just made a small loop. Looks like a big V with snap rings on each end on top that attach to eyebolts on sleds and loop that hooks over the ball hitch on ATV is on the bottom of the V. Total cost $10.40.

Also add a U bolt to the back of the Yukon so I have a place to hook a second sled so I can pull sleds in tandem. Several times last year I gave people who pulled they fish house out by hand a ride and fish house tow back to the landing.