• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone else not have a boat?

mrpike1973

I like this thread. I've said for a very long time that all you really NEED to catch a fish is some line, a hook, bait, your brain, and a little luck. Everything else is candy.

I'm not saying a boat won't help increase your odds, but sometimes we get caught up in the gadgets, bells, and whistles and forget what we really need.

Plus, I've seen my share of FM'ers offering open seats and that's what we're all about.

Originally Posted By: Loos15
I'm boatless and it sux. I dream of a boat every day, and pretty much browse craigs. Too bad I do not have the funds for one at the moment. Can't wait till ice where boaters are on equal grounds smile.

I just bought a boat this year and I think (even though my wife may feel differently) that a boat is a mans best friend other than a dog. I love it so much. I had a boat before than sold it. I sold it on the grounds that I would soon get another. Well Life and finances both put way to long of a hold on that. Let me tell you this.If you ever get your hands on a boat, NEVER and I mean NEVER give it up until you got you hands on another smirk. I went crazy without a boat and now that I have another. Well much like Charelton Heston said "you'll get my boat when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers". grin

Thank you for that inspiring quote and sound advice! I love fishing but apparently I really suck at it or just have bad luck. I feel I need gadgets and gizmos to up my % of catching fish hehe. I wish I can be just having fun being out...but I think I'm well beyond that point. I use to have fun just being out...but being out so many times not being able to catch fish...well that wears on ya. Being able to fish in a boat this year with friendly FMers who are kind and offer an open seat, really fueled this desire to get a boat. I've said on shore, you are hoping the fish comes to you. On a boat, you can get to the fish.

Still gota make them bite, but it becomes a lot easier if your line is where they are.

Ps. Lambjm...that's a freaky avatar. It creeps me out. I like it.

I started with a very old (late 50's early 60's) boat/motor/trailer that a friend gave me (14ft fiberglass runabout with fins and 50 hp Johnson) and then gave it to someone else rather than tow it cross-country when we moved, had nothing for several years, then bought an old fiberglass canoe and had that for several years, then bought an old (1976) used Lund Mr Pike with a Merc 50 (went through two motors and trailers) before trading it in on current and then new (2003) Lund Explorer w/ 75 Merc.

That said, here is the best advice that I ever received on the subject of boat ownership: "The two best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it"......truer words have never been spoken!

I have a boat, but I still do plenty of shore fishing. Living up in the Duluth area I have lots of choices. In the early spring I shore cast off the Two Harbors break-wall into Lake Superior which can have its rewards with lakers, cohos and northerns, but with the east wind it can be the “dirty job” of fishing as I take a cold wind in the face. I also make it down to the Lake Superior shores a couple time of year for some Kamloop fishing. On occasion I head out to the local stream for some brook trout fishing. This year I started wading around some of the smaller lakes fly fishing for pan fish and bass. I always have a rod and some tackle in the truck.

wow i didnt think this thread would get so many responses. like daze off said when you sell a boat its youre happiest day. well mine was just a lemon if i had lots of money i would buy another boat but until then im going to fish from shore i have found some good fishing spots and as someone said you can meet alot of great people out there to talk to. i get amazed how you talk to some people and as soon as you say you dont have a boat they think youre not a real fisherman. ha i caught 4 walleyes one day from shore on a public dock when the guys came in with there fancy boats fishless yes i was a little braggy about it but it felt good he he thanks for all the great responses

I remember searching through craigs, [YouNeedAuthorization], and FM almost everyday for three years looking for a boat. Each day my anticipation for my perfect boat grew stronger and stronger. I was always looking for that perfect deal...Finally, I figured I should either [PoorWordUsage] or get off the pot, and I got my small bass boat last May. Hang in there guys without boats. Try to maintain patience in your search for what your looking for. Good Luck!

I bought my first boat last fall off hsolist,a real fixer upper, spent the winter and spring replacing rotted out wood and redesigning the front. What a pain that turned out to be. Only got to use it a couple times this year before I winterized it. Took my young boy out once, and he got bored in about 20 minutes, so now I'm looking for a place to fish from shore so when boredom strikes, he can just throw rocks, one of his favorite pastimes smile

I really got into ice fishing the last 5 years cause I didn't have a boat....this year I decided that I would buy a little boat for under $2000.....I was lucky enough to find a great deal on C.L. and am now the proud owner of a 14ft 74 crestliner with a 98 15hp mariner....when I purchased the boat I knew I would get use out of it but really didn't think I would get the use that I got out of it......I loved getting off work and spending and hour or 2 on the lake watching the sunset trying to catch some crappies and usually having success..over 50 days on water with most days fishing in my boat..If you do a little saving (or small loan) and don't just settle for a boat there are some great deals out there.....my boat has a small leak and the trailer lights don't always work and I need a new graph but with a little work this winter (paint, repair leaks, and new graph) I will be back on the water again in the spring catching crappipes in my favorite material possesion....my boat!!!

50 days on the water ... sounds like you had a great summer. Congrats on being a new boat owner. Those smaller boats can be great cause you don't need a truck to tow so you save a ton on gas.

That said, here is the best advice that I ever received on the subject of boat ownership: "The two best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it"......truer words have never been spoken!

NOOOOOOO!! NOT TRUE! Actually that thought has crossed my mind at times but I've owned a boat all my adult life and yea I've had the days where I wanted to pull the plug, let the thing sink in the middle of the lake and swim home, but think of all the good times you've had out fishing with your friends and family. I couldn't imagine not having a boat.

Originally Posted By: Daze Off

NOOOOOOO!! NOT TRUE! Actually that thought has crossed my mind at times but I've owned a boat all my adult life and yea I've had the days where I wanted to pull the plug, let the thing sink in the middle of the lake and swim home, but think of all the good times you've had out fishing with your friends and family. I couldn't imagine not having a boat.

What makes selling a boat a good day is having the cash to buy the next one. I've owned a boat most of my adult life starting with a 12 foot car topper and a 5 hp 1950 Johnson Sea Horse. Boat and motor was $225.00. I've been fortunate to get into some very nice upgrades over the years. No way could I see myself without one.

i had a 12' boat from the ages of 19-21 and easily caught more fish fishing the same waters as i had from shore. it was great till the 6 horse stopped starting. i sold it eventually, and now some 13 years later still looking for boat number two. shore fishing is a little lacking here in cali. i guess i had it pretty good back in the midwest