Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoot

Finally got Cody a muskie!

19 posts in this topic

I've taken my 11 year old nephew Cody out fishing for muskies a half dozen times now, and we just couldn't get him a fish! I've caught a few in the process, but we couldn't get one to bite his dang lure. Well... that finally changed yesterday!

My brother, Rod, and I took Cody out for another shot at a ski. Two of us took turns casting while another guy kept an eye on a sucker rig. We didn't find many fish for the first couple hours of fishing, but we finally moved into a new area that seemed to have some fish. They were fairly active too. I finally got a follow from a fish that looked to be low 40's. It turned short of the boat and headed away from us. I turned the boat towards it in hopes of getting the sucker in front of its nose. A few casts later, the sucker started freaking out! We looked down just in time to see the muskie sitting a few feet from the sucker. All of a sudden... WHAM! It t-boned the sucker and was off to the races!!! Cody quickly put his rod down, grabbed the sucker rod, turned the reel and laid a viscious hook set into it. Then, the fight was on! Cody got his butt kicked, but did a great job of keeping the line tight and playing the fish. A few minutes later, it was in the net! It was a nice, thick 45 incher- a great start for an 11 year old boy, for sure!!!

We only took two pics- one with me and one with Rod. We went very fast and didn't want the fish to be out of the water long. You can see in Rod's pic that he's just moving into position- one quick click and the fish was in the water seconds after that one. It swam away strong too, and Cody was happy about that.

codynet.jpg

Here's a shot of Rod with Cody.

Cody1.jpg

And me with him.

Cody2.jpg

Even though the fish fought hard and swam away very strong, he appeared to have a broken spine near his tail. It's not as obvious in this pic as it was in person, but you can tell he's got a some scoliosis going on!

Tail.jpg

That's the quick version of Cody's first muskie. Of course it doesn't include the many, many hours of time he put in on the water trying to catch it! He definitely earned it and I was really happy Rod and I could be there to see him catch first REAL fish!!! winkgrin

Way to go, Cody!!! smilegrinsmile

That is just awesome!!! Got another one hooked on Muskies for life and better than that, a fishing partner/buddy for a long time to come. Love hearing this stuff. Congrats to both you and Cody!

Congrats to Cody, that is awesome...

Did the Musky keep his sucker treat? I've never fished with a sucker and not sure if they keep dinner.

RU

Very cool...congrats to you all! There's nothin' like puttin' kids on fish (especially BIG fish)!

Way to go Scoot. My 16 year old got bit last year, but still trying to get my 11 year a big one. Nice job!!! Nice fall colors too.

great job Cody. nice overtime Unc. putting down the bow to give it another shot. very cool. really like hearing Cody was happy to see it go away and go away strong. just remind him, he'll never lose that feeling of his first one but he'll never have that feeling again. really cool. i'm sitting here remembering my first... cool

Scoot-

Nice work ot you and cody. These are by far my favorite pics of the year - including my own!!

-erik

Another one has the sickness! Nice job, great to see youngsters out fishing!

Hahahahaha, thats great, nice post. That vessel is in about 2 feet of water lol.

Congrats of the fish Scoot!

Hahahahaha, thats great, nice post. That vessel is in about 2 feet of water lol.

Congrats of the fish Scoot!

2 feet??? What are you talking about? That's a hole that's about 125 feet deep? wink

Thanks fellas. Cody loved it and I'm sure he'll appreciate all of your encouragement!