• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late season gloves?

Tippman

Alright for those of you who fish late into the season what are your favorite gloves for muskie fishing. I love the dexterity of neoprene but they don't seem to keep my hands very warm. Looking for something warm without bulk and of course waterproof?

Hiya -

My hands don't get cold very easily so I usually fish bare handed, at least on my reel hand, pretty late, but even at that I carry tons of gloves in the boat. I keep a bag full of fingerless wool gloves (you can get 'em cheap at a surplus store) and just change pairs when one gets wet. For trolling, I wear either Ice Armor gloves, which are great when they're new, but seem to wear out quickly, or good old leather choppers with wool inserts. I can't stand Neoprene gloves unless you wear surgical gloves underneath them. Once your hands get wet in Neoprene, they stay wet all day.

For me the key is having lots of pairs of cheap gloves like will gloves or full-fingered wool insert gloves from the surplus store, then changing pairs when they get wet.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I use a couple pairs of the Gore-Tex waterfowl hunting gloves with the trigger fingers, but anything will get wet eventually.

I also keep a pair of big seude mittens to warm up the hands when needed and if I'm trolling.

I like the surplus wool gloves, great idea Rob. Sometimes the cheap route works just as well or better.

On a somewhat related note: For footwear I found a pair of Nike winter running shoes, Gore-Tex with the fully gusseted tongue. I really don't like the weight and the ankle constriction of boots, especially if I'm still trying to run the trolling motor pedal. These with a good pair of wicking socks keep my feet dry and warm enough until it gets really cold, then it's the boots, but on the 30-40 degree days these have served me well.

I also have a couple pairs of Cabelas jean-cut Gore-Tex pants (sorry for sounding like a Gore-Tex commercial) that I have hemmed a couple inches longer than a traditional inseam for me. So, when I'm sitting or on the butt-seat they still cover the ankles and don't let any wind or water drip in.

Little things can make a big difference, hope this helps.

my day job is a highrise window washer and daily use of gloves in cold weather is normal. . i get cold weather gardening gloves from a magazine. the gloves are called west county or country.... real thin, warm and never have a problem with water inside, not even sweat. i use them for cold weather casting too. down to around 35 washing windows i'm ok, after that the jokka therms go on. casting i'm not out there under 40, but they work great for casting. also carhart has some that work good, but they're a tad thicker. still useable. fabric backs on both kinds. real flexible. anyway look in gardenig mags... mills fleet farm i get carhart goods. maybe a store like bachmanns. hmmm i'll have to check that out. thanks for the post.

i should mention my gloves get soaked on the out side at work. my hands are dry. west county gloves last me two winters. carhart mabe one.

I've used seal skinz. They keep your hands dry, not especially warm, but OK. They are OK for dexterity too. Right now I use Rocky duck hunting gloves like Cjac mentioned. They're definitely warmer, less dexterity though.

We have SealSkinz, and they are flexible, but not especially warm. Unlike the above experience though, we have not found them to keep hands dry. The waterproof membrane is just not very good, it's a pretty thin film, and even the water from the line that drips on your hands gets the glove and your hand inside wet. We use Ice Armor for trolling.

I go barehanded on my casting reel, i'm like RK and don't get that cold. (more like I don't notice until i'm back to the truck and realize my hands hurt at the end of the day!)

When I do cave in, it's usually for neoprene and nitrile gloves underneath. Or the gardening gloves that are dipped in rubber.

I also use goretex camo waterfowl gloves, they are too bulky to be casting with for any period of time but for trolling they are perfect. As far as being waterproof and durable, I've been picking up decoys with them for years and they still stay dry.

I got mine at Gander for $50 (oops), but I've seen them on sale for as cheap as $20.