Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
CJH

Reflectix

CJH    0

So, who has used it in their portables and have you been happy with the results? I was thinking about trying it this year in my guide to help add a little warmth on those cold, windy days.

Any negatives? How did you attach it to the poles?

Thanks for any feedback!

CJH

I have it in my otter 2-man it keeps it toasty warm, I just attached it with some zip ties between the poles and canvas quite a cheap alternative to buying a insulated flip over..BT

After you zip tie it in i take it that it collapses right along with the canvas when you pack things up for the day??

I put it my Yukon last year and it was alot warmer. I never had a issue collapsing the canvas it would fold up as if it wasn't there. I didn't attached it with zip ties though just ran it between the polls and canvas.

I think I spent 35-40 $ for a rather large roll of it. Refletix is basically 2 layers of bubble wrap with foil on both sides. Weight is not a issue maybe a pound or less added to the portable but well worth it imo....BT

Used it last year in my 5x6 suitcase. Made a big difference. I bought one roll and cut it into 3 pieces. Then I used foil tape to join the pieces side by side to form one "blanket" that slides in between the poles and the canvas. When I'm done I simply fold it up with the rest of the house. You won't notice the weight.

Thanks guys I think I'm just going to get the 16" by 25ft roll because its cheaper and I wont need very much then I will just put them together with foil tape like sparky says. Any chance Duct Tape would work the same way or should I just go with the Aluminum Foil Tape?

Thanks!

Ryan

I would stick with the foil tape. Used it in my Voyeager last year. Worked great, was out in the Dakotas last January when it was VERY cold and was shedding clothes in the house.

It also makes it brighter in there as well. I have it in my Otter Cabin, works great. We then put it into my BIL's Eskimo 2 man, works great.

I put it in my Eskimo quick flip II, one of the best and cheapest improvements I made to it. I just ran it through my poles and use the Eskimo's velcro straps to hold it in place.

I used it in my Yukon last season and I have no complaints. I only lined the ceiling and about a foot down on the sides...basically just putting a cap on the inside. It was connected by running it over the poles and in between the canvas. I cut out little slits where the canvas has Velcro to attached to the poles and that seemed to work just fine. I used duct tape to connect the pieces and it worked fine.

I found my shelter stayed warmer, longer and with the light reflecting qualities, my LEDs made it very bright inside. The weight was a non-issue and it packs up almost as small/tight as without it. So, well worth your time to do it.

CJH    0

Thanks for all of the great replies and suggestions. I think the consensus is definitely a thumbs up, with a few different options for attachment. It definitely seems like there aren't many if any downsides to it, based on the feedback metioned above. I guess I definitely will be making a trip to the home improvement store!!!

Thanks again and a good hardwater season to all of you!!

CJH

Alright I'm going to head up to home depot and buy a roll of this stuff tonight. I think they have 16 and 24". My FT scout is like 30"s so I think I will go with the 16" and just use to strips lengthwise. I would also like to do this to my Voyager which i have at my cabin so I'm not able to take dimensions. Do you think if I got one 25' roll of the 16" wide stuff and taped it together it would be enough to cover the roofs of both shacks?

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan,

I know one roll of the wider stuff (I got it at FF) is about $30 and it can easily do 3 two man shacks with left over.

Just picked some up at Lowes for 28 bucks today. I got the 2' wide since in my FT Scout there are Velcro pieces holding the canvas to the bars. Therefore any wider and it wouldn't have worked. I cut some slits in the foam on either side of the bar and attached a few zip ties on each bar. Looks Great I am excited to see what it looks like with the LED's in there too!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Ryan

Would a 12 ounce emergency space blanket sold for camping do the same thing or is the reflectix work better? The space blanket is a foil lined material. The space blanket has nice rivets for holding it in place? Anyone ever try these instead of reflectix?

Either last year or two years ago i was up in Ely with -20 degree weather early in the morning and I was fine and peachy with my Big buddy heater on either low or medium, the only thing that I was confused about was I would hear a running river everyonce in awhile, the condensation from me and the heater would build up on top of the Reflectix and run down the back of the portable. So theres an added bennifit, you dont get rained on, but if your one of those guys who cant listen to running water and not have to pee...well... grin