• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflectix

CJH

So, who has used it in their portables and have you been happy with the results? I was thinking about trying it this year in my guide to help add a little warmth on those cold, windy days.

Any negatives? How did you attach it to the poles?

Thanks for any feedback!

CJH

I put it my Yukon last year and it was alot warmer. I never had a issue collapsing the canvas it would fold up as if it wasn't there. I didn't attached it with zip ties though just ran it between the polls and canvas.

Used it last year in my 5x6 suitcase. Made a big difference. I bought one roll and cut it into 3 pieces. Then I used foil tape to join the pieces side by side to form one "blanket" that slides in between the poles and the canvas. When I'm done I simply fold it up with the rest of the house. You won't notice the weight.

Thanks guys I think I'm just going to get the 16" by 25ft roll because its cheaper and I wont need very much then I will just put them together with foil tape like sparky says. Any chance Duct Tape would work the same way or should I just go with the Aluminum Foil Tape?

Thanks!

Ryan

I put it in my Eskimo quick flip II, one of the best and cheapest improvements I made to it. I just ran it through my poles and use the Eskimo's velcro straps to hold it in place.

I used it in my Yukon last season and I have no complaints. I only lined the ceiling and about a foot down on the sides...basically just putting a cap on the inside. It was connected by running it over the poles and in between the canvas. I cut out little slits where the canvas has Velcro to attached to the poles and that seemed to work just fine. I used duct tape to connect the pieces and it worked fine.

I found my shelter stayed warmer, longer and with the light reflecting qualities, my LEDs made it very bright inside. The weight was a non-issue and it packs up almost as small/tight as without it. So, well worth your time to do it.

Thanks for all of the great replies and suggestions. I think the consensus is definitely a thumbs up, with a few different options for attachment. It definitely seems like there aren't many if any downsides to it, based on the feedback metioned above. I guess I definitely will be making a trip to the home improvement store!!!

Thanks again and a good hardwater season to all of you!!

CJH

Alright I'm going to head up to home depot and buy a roll of this stuff tonight. I think they have 16 and 24". My FT scout is like 30"s so I think I will go with the 16" and just use to strips lengthwise. I would also like to do this to my Voyager which i have at my cabin so I'm not able to take dimensions. Do you think if I got one 25' roll of the 16" wide stuff and taped it together it would be enough to cover the roofs of both shacks?

Thanks!

Ryan

Just picked some up at Lowes for 28 bucks today. I got the 2' wide since in my FT Scout there are Velcro pieces holding the canvas to the bars. Therefore any wider and it wouldn't have worked. I cut some slits in the foam on either side of the bar and attached a few zip ties on each bar. Looks Great I am excited to see what it looks like with the LED's in there too!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Ryan

Would a 12 ounce emergency space blanket sold for camping do the same thing or is the reflectix work better? The space blanket is a foil lined material. The space blanket has nice rivets for holding it in place? Anyone ever try these instead of reflectix?

Either last year or two years ago i was up in Ely with -20 degree weather early in the morning and I was fine and peachy with my Big buddy heater on either low or medium, the only thing that I was confused about was I would hear a running river everyonce in awhile, the condensation from me and the heater would build up on top of the Reflectix and run down the back of the portable. So theres an added bennifit, you dont get rained on, but if your one of those guys who cant listen to running water and not have to pee...well... grin