• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage's are a must

Kyle

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my whole family has been using expandibles for a very long time and the a couple of years ago we switched to rage and the first year my brother killed an 11 pointer in camp ripley and it was a perfect shot with a pass through. the deer ran about 40 yards and tumbled. also, the hole it left was unbeliveable and the amount of blood left behind was incredible.

I have reshot some arrow and broadheads combo's through 2-3 deer in the same season. It would get very spendy if I did not. I just check it over well as long as it did not hit a tree.

My rule of thumb with my replaceable blade Thunderheads is that if the broadhead hits the ground or goes thru a deer, I replace the blades, I want the sharpest broadheads on my arrow that is possible.

Here is the reply from the CO regarding the 2" Rage broadheads.

I know of the rage broadhead. The way I read it is they are legal and very effective in killing Elk and Deer. They are more effective than some other broad heads. The intent of the laws is to make sure the animal doesn't suffer a long and painful death. I have heard of guys and gals shooting deer and elk with the rage and couldn't believe how effective they are... The animals don't suffer but die very quickly most times bleeding out very fast.

I thought the question was in regards to the legality of the head. We all know they're effective! Good to hear from the horse's mouth nonetheless.

Joel - keep shooting buddy. Turkeys are a lot harder to kill with arrows than deer. Give that Bullhead a shot next spring!

Well my first experience with Rage's was frustrating. Perfect shot on a 5x5 elk at 49 yrds. I actually saw the blood shooting out of the lung immediately after I shot but I had very poor penetration. There was blood everywhere at the scene of impact and for a few hundred yrds until he clotted. I litterally had my arm, side, and half my pack covered in blood from tracking him through thick cover.

End result was a full day mile long tracking job with no elk. I'm estimating about 12" of penetration, musta just missed penetrating the far lung cavity. Shooting 60 lbs. I can only figure I hit a rib center on and that was enough to cost me the elk.

I agree with you on that one that is not a good idea even at 70 pds sounds like a liver shot to me I had the privelage of shooting a mature doe yesterday out at Fort McCoy Wisconsin with the 2 bladers and I center punched her lungs at 15yds and she made it about 60yds and it was game over and you should have seen the blood trail. I'm a believer!!!!!

Quote:
Read closer:

His quote right at the beginning.

"The way I read it is they are legal"

Wow, I totaly missed that too and I read his response twice.

As for the rages, I don't shoot them. I like the cabelas Lazer strike II's. They worked well for me last year. I always replace the broadhead after it has been shot. Its the $5 to make sure that there isn't any type of flaw in it is well worth it. Also, the cost of the blades for three braodheads is like $12 dollars, 3 new broadheads are around $15. You do the math. However, I might change my tune if I shoot the rage, where the cost of the broadhead is so much more, and possibly the cost of the blades are much less in relation.

Just another broadhead. Has good and bad points to it. It's all personal preference.

You put any broadhead in the boiler and the deer will go down in short order(exceptions may occur on individual deer).

Sharp blades and well placed shots kill deer. Rage heads turn it into a crime scene. I just shot number 3 last night and both holes were titanic. That old doe would've still made it into the freezer with any sharp head on the market but the rage head just took the ordeal to another level. Call for backup... There's blood everywhere.

everyone will have there idea of a great broadhead.I know I have heard good and bad about the rage.Too much bad so I will stay away but there will be people that have great success with them.Never had a problem with any Tropy Ridge rockets so I can not make myself change yet.Shot elk,deer and bear with them with success.Next year there will be another head out that everyone will be pushing as the best thing.Use what works for your setup.

The Rage heads seem to get alot of press both good and bad, I think they are probably one of the most popular heads out there right now, in turn they get shot at a lot of deer and sometimes things can go wrong. Like others have said any broadhead on the market will do the job on a well placed shot. I think the Rage takes the blame when someone makes a poorly placed shot, a bad shot is a bad shot and no other broadhead is going to magically drop that deer. I would be willing to say 99% of all lost deer are due to operator error, not the equipment.

Here in Indiana season for deer and fall turkey opened last wednesday. This past weekend I shot two hens with the rage not finding either one. The first was at 45 yards and the other at 18 yards. Both were pass thoughs and what I thought were good shots. Has any one had the same problems with the rage or just bad luck.

What tactics? And I'm being serious. I never watch their show. Just want to know what they do to look for. Do they have a show on the Outdoor Channel? All I have set to TIVO on that network is Spirit of the Wild (entertainment) and the bow specific shows. It has to have bow in the title or I'm not watching. : )

Well, first off, I do not like them because Ive seen some consistantly poor shots come from them which after a while just gets to be annoying. Secondly, this is just hear-say, but Ive heard that they will get word of a huge buck somewhere, and then go and pay off all of the surrounding land owners to only let them hunt it. I just think that it sucks for everyone else. Ive also heard that they'll do that with outfitters, pay them ungodly amounts of money to keep an area free of people until they can hunt it. I dont know, maybe I just dont like their material and it makes it easy for me to believe things like this. They just seem like rich yuppies, and I just dont like that.

Drurys claim fair chase(but with big wallets I'm sure). Those guys are obnoxious. Whats with bouncing an arrow off a deer? Sounds like they need to crank up the poundage a bit. Rage heads work. Fly better than my field points. Before them I used Rockets. They worked too. Shot placement is everything.

The reason I am going with the rage is, I am color blind. I take a little bit longer to trail deer than others, but I have become pretty good at it. When I make a good shot I still have to look harder than most to see the blood. From others I have talked to that have had SOFTBALL size entrance and exit wounds, I am convinced that that hole will make a better blood trail for me.

Off that subject.

I have a story from last year about the Drury boys in ND

A friend of the farmer where we stay and hunt shot this deer last year. The land owners around him had been baiting it(legal in ND) and were going to be paid a good sum by Drury to shoot it, but he shot it on his land before they got a chance at it. They had this deers routine down to a T and it was shot opening weekend of bow hunting. ( This is the story I was told)

35065.jpg

0901071420ble7.jpg

Doug,

Getting Close with Lee and Tiffany Lakoskie, and Whitetail freaks with the Kisky's consistantly state that they have never and would never hunt inside of any kind of fence. Infact, they own and manage large sums of land in Iowa spefically for whitetails.

I put Bill Jordan and his realtree tv shows up there with the Drury's; an absolute joke.

I do know that there was a recall on the rage but I think that has been fixed.Rocket hammerheads will do the same as the rage they make a huge hole.There new undertaker came out this year to compete with the rage.I have pack of those and going to give them a chance also.I do not think one broadhead is better then another as long as you make the shot count.Take that back could be some cheaper brands out there.But most heads are good and will do the job.

I agree that it takes a good hit but with that said, the Rage does make a huge hole and also makes it easier to track a deer. I personally have never seen another broadhead make a hole like the Rage does. There could be others out there its just I have not seen them yet.

I used Muzzy's for years and they killed alot of deer for me but, they never left a blood trail like these Rage heads.