• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weird sunset between storm clouds

Had a storm last night, in between the storm clouds, there was a mile long break where the sun broke out as it was going down. Sunlight gave off this weird ORANGE lighting all over!

My son Zach came and got me from my basement to show me the sunset. I had only a few minutes to take a shot of it, because the rain had stopped for a few minutes. Ran out to the end of my driveway to take this shot.

The storm was all around us, lighting, raining..heck, I was a bit nervous standing out in the open, in fear of getting struck by lighting. Only highest point where I was standing was the power pole next to me. I was in a hurry to take the shot.

I just wished I had seen this coming. It was a rare sighting to see this kind of lighting from the sun/clouds that turned everything outside orange..I mean it was creepy, errieee...gave me goose bumps! Just weird.. smile

orangesunset.jpg

Thanks. It's just pure luck that I got this shot. I just wish I had more time to set the settings on the camera right. Didn't even bother looking at the settings. Just ran, stopped, and shoot. (sigh) frown

Another thing I forgot to tell you that, when I was there, outside, the lighting kept changing every minute..it was like um..how do I say this... like a rapid movement of the sunrise coming up, like how it brighten things up. Only this orange lighting was like slower motion of a orange light came in and you could see how a normal lighting changed pretty darn fast to orange..I mean even my son Zach's face looked funny with orange color on his face!

That went on for about 5 minutes..then boom, the orange was gone, just ordinary gray/dark color came back.

Zach said that he'd never seen anything like it, told him that I'd only seen it only a couple of times in my life. Said that it looked like a nuclear bomb went off in the clouds. Joking, I told him that how'd he know, he's never seen one go off. He told me that he saw it on History channel. Nice!

Just very happy I was there with my son to experience this! smile

Marc, great capture. Sunrise and sunset lighting can change by the second, and often does.

When I actually set up for SR or SS I make sure my card is empty and my stuff is ready, because I tend to shoot a LOT of images in a row as the light changes. And I use a remote shutter release so I can keep my eye on the sky, not the camera. The light changes so rapidly that I never know which image will turn out best until I get home and look at them on computer.

Also, SR/SS shots are a perfect opportunity to use the autobracketing feature and later blend images together in photoshop.

Very nice work, man. Looks like you caught it at the perfect moment!

Thanks guys! I just hope I get to experience it again... Still, no matter how many times I see the picture, I still can't get over how much light had changed dramatically. That look on my son's face is implanted in my brain forever, with his eyes open wide, and orange face! Should have taken a shot of him when I had the chance!

Thanks again. I'll never forget this experience! smile