• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Much

hamrej23

I would say about 2 inches maybe a little less to fish on. I have walked on 1 inch by slide stepping, but then I did fall in at the shore. I weigh more now, and I dont like falling in anymore, so I wait until about 3 inches now.

When I was in high school, we were out on Lake Alexander(by Cushing)I think the 2nd/3rd week of Nov. MAYBE 2" at most. Had ropes tied to each of us. Couldn't get closer than 8 feet to the next guy. Hammered the crappies. One of the dumbest things I've ever done, and it's quite a list.

For that thinner ice, don't forget those ice picks and better yet, if you were to fall in, one can always wear their Arctic Armor for those accidents that could save ones life.

HSO Arctic Armor Suits Online here if you can't make it to one of the shows that Reel fishing Outfitters attends.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/arctic-armor.html

I remember way back when we were the first to cross over Pine Island out of Baudette.( I believe that is what it is called) Got a write up in the Outdoor news about it. This was Thanksgiving weekend. Also set up a portable by the river mouth and said to my buddy, why is my line going sideways in the hole. Never trolled in a fish house b-4. Never want to do that again.

G.C.

My impression is the that the hard core river ice fishing guys are the biggest thrill seekers when it comes to flirting with dangerously thin, less predictable, and close to open water ice.

Way too extreme for me, but it is fun to look at the pics of the hogs they are rewarded with, and/or the stories of their close call experiences. eek

I only did it once and never again. I was alot younger also. Ice was anywhere between 2-3 ". Had to keep a safe distance between persons, like 6-8 feet apart. We did do well and I won the biggest eye contest on Saturday and my lodging was free for that night. The trolling of the fishhouse is when I got the biggest eye.

Granted it was not 1 of our smartest moments in life, but all survived, so it is a good memory.

G.C.

I'm a wuss. I'll hunt birds til there's at least 4", preferably 6".

Also set up a portable by the river mouth and said to my buddy, why is my line going sideways in the hole. Never trolled in a fish house b-4. Never want to do that again.

G.C.

Are you saying it was because of the ice moving or the current of the river?

We were right on the edge, water a little ways away, I think it was mostly current,however it did not do this the whole time we were in the house. We set the house up for the early evening bite. When we got out, it was pretty well dark. Could not tell if we broke away as we had no issues bring the house towards the shoreline. A little slushy is all. This happened right after I landed the winning eye.

G.C.

I went out on 2" of crystal clear ice on a small lake. It was fun watching the fish scatter below when I walked around. My plan was to stay over shallow water but as I got comfortable I started moving around. Pretty soon I was standing over 7 feet of water with ice cracking no matter what direction I moved. It made my eyes water knowing how stupid I was and I did not catch one fish. I generally use my head a little more now but that first ice is always tempting.

Years ago we dragged a canoe out on a couple inches of clear ice, it was pretty cool watching the walleyes swimming below your feet before pulling them through the hole. Years later I fell through on several inches of honeycomb in the spring, thankfully I was wearing a pfd and had some barn nails to crawl out with. After getting cold and wet I will now wait til theres more than enough and I don't have to worry about sleeping with the fishes. Cleats,picks and spuds are essential early ice tools.

redhooks