Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jakemcarroll

Boots

20 posts in this topic

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but this will be my first hunting season, and I will be hunting upland birds, pheasant mostly. I am looking for some advice on what to look for boots. There seem to be a lot of options and styles, so any advice would be much appreciated!

soomething thats comfortable to walk in for a couple of hours and i like a boot with ankle support, something that will go a little less then halfway to my knees.

I've had good luck with the Rocky boots over the years. Reasonably priced, comfortable, waterproof. I actually have several pairs, non-insulated for early season hunting and then 1000 gram boots for late season hunting. If you're looking for just one pair, think 400-600 grams.

Also think about good socks, polypropelene liners with wool blends over them, stay away from cotton socks!!!

I am a Danner guy and I would recommend the Pronghorn. Get waterproof for sure, dew will make your feet miserable if you dont. Dont go too cheap either, comfort is more than a luxury while roody hunting.

goona have to chase codydog with the danners. If your walking for ditch chickens try the sharptails or the good ole pronghorn

My first boots were cabelas waterproof multi purpose hunting boots, then I bought some rocky's because I couldn't bring myself to buy the Danner Pronghorns, the rockies lasted 8 months before failure (boot lacing design) so I took them back and got the danners. COULDN"T BE HAPPIER WITH THE DANNERS.......

I used to use danners exclusively. They are great boots and last a long time. Last year, I got a cabellas knock-off of the danner pronghorns, at 1/2 the price. They show similar wear, and are still waterpoof. You can get a pair cabelas of uninsulated boots for the early season and some heavy insulated boots for late deer season for the same price as 1 pair of danners. I highly recommend them and feel they are the best buy out there for boots.

I am a big fan of Rocky boots, I have had a pair of them for 10 years have to finally get a new pair as the sole is wearing out and have used them from upland hunting, waterfowl, deer hunting, ice fishing, and anything else I could, I am going to try a pair of the Cabelas branded this year though, can't hurt anyway

Personally, I hunt alot of public land and hunt pressured roosters. I wear my lacross alpha burlys mud boots alot. I will walk through swamps and areas were other hunters will not think about going and this was quite successful for me last year. I found birds sitting on top of cattails in 1 foot of water. I too have been planning on buying a good set of regular boots but right now my redwing work boots do the job just fine if im not going in any water.

For rifle and bowhunting rubber boots are the only way to go for me. I can walk comfortably for hours in them. They dont give much ancle support and I have bad ankles but I have learned to get by.

I used to buy Rocky's but one year got a great deal on some Danner's and will never go back. I've got 3 pairs of Pronghorns - non-ins, 400 gr, and 1000 gr. Love them!!

Danners! To me they are just like tennie shoes. Great boots.

My feet are like shoe box's, not too long but wide.Danner is the only way to go. I have hunted from mn to wyoming and everything in between. My dad once said "you only have 2 feet so take care of them and they will last forever" in other words get the best boots you can afford!

ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY I wear rockies every day 800 gram summer winter spring and fall I wear them for work and for play my feet dont get hot or cold. They are a little heavy in some opinions but for me you cant beat them. Rocky has shoes and non insulated boots but I am just comfy in 800 grams year round no sweat no stink no nothing.

I bought a pair of pronghorns two years ago for upland hunting. They fit great out of the box and are very light. After two seasons I had walked the sole of the boots off and the toe portion was almost worn thru. I called and they did not believe me. I sent them in and they repaired them for $25 and they paid the shipping. I opened the box and thought they sent me the wrong boots back. I was wrong, they repaired them to the point they looked right out of the box new! Great boot and great service.

I have worn cabelas brand boots and they do not work for my feet. They just wont break in to my feet and keep giving me blisters. Walk in them for a bit b4 you buy them to see how they feel. I have friends that swear by them, they just dont work for me!