• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another H2O Question....

Neighbor_guy

Question

I am looking into getting a handheld GPS unit, I like the H2O's. My question is this....

Is it worth the extra $100 to get the H2Oc, or should I buy the regular H2O? At todays prices, a guy can get the H20 and a 2008 chip for the price of the H20c base unit.

What are the major differences? Is the C realy that much better or what? Anyone used both? I guess I am full of questions, just looking for some answeres.

17 answers to this question

The color version has a better screen, better resolution.

My H2O is not the color version, I got it before the color ones came out and have never felt the need to upgrade. I mostly use it for ice fishing and grouse hunting and it's fine for those purposes. I don't use it in my boat, I have larger fixed-mount color screens in my boat.

I've used the H2OC also and they are nice. If I used my H2O more then I'd probably want the color screen.

I have the H2Oc and I'm disappointed in the brightness level of the screen.

I know Lowrance can make a better screen because they have it on the 520 series combo units. I wish they would put the same type of screen on the smaller units.

Having said this, if I were buying one new now, I would check out the B&W unit more seriously. Mine looked good in the store, but in the sun it is not that good.

- Wish

I have ran the Expedition C since they came out and love it. I went from the B&W to color and will never go back. I run mine off the cord mostly and run lithiums in it and go through 2 sets a year tops. It does get used on the bow of the boat as well as in my buddys boat, I love having the baromater feature on it. Things like the MP3 I'll never use but a neat feature. Mine ran me $440 with a Navionics chip and the Map Create cd's that allow making custom road maps all over the US.

I also have the ExpeditionC & I like it very much, although it's the only one I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. I was on the phone with a person from Lowrance with a question I had, & she said she uses them alot (they need to know them inside & out) she said it's definitely an upgrade from the H2Oc, but that all depends on ones needs, if a person doesn't need certain features why pay for them. While on the phone with her I asked about the 2 year extended warranty(after the initial 1st year ends) it was $60 for repair or replacement, considering the minimum repair charge is $150 if you need repair. I figured, why not, I paid $400 with the chip. L2f

Yes the coloured is worth the extra bucks although it will eat more batteries . I have both B&W and coloured .

Get out on a bright sunny day in the middle of the lake especially in the winter and you will understand why I say go coloured .

That B&W you will be angling around and shifting it around in your hand and eventually will tuck it under your arm inside your coat to get a picture .

In hunting etc where you can shade it a bit in the bush the B&w you will be satisfied with but in bright sunlight reflecting off other surfaces you will become frustrated .

Even the coloured ones can have their own issues with that scene but easier to see regardless .

TD

the h20c has a 16 parallel channel receiver, the h2o has a 12 parallel channel receiver.

the color screen is definately easier to read in bright sunlight.

get the color, you will love the better seperation of water,land ect.use the 12 volt adaptor when ever possible to save on batts. just wish the unit would charge batts when plugged into cig lighter.i use mine on the wheeler,boat,car,snowmobiel... nice to know where u are when in new area.

I have the Lawrance Explorer. One feature that the Explorer and, I believe, the Expedition and Hunt models have is that it continues to work when you are not moving. This is nice for ice fishing, when you are trying to get to the spot on the spot. The H2O and H2Oc will stop working when you stop moving. I believe all other features are pretty much equal. Not a big deal if you don't spend much time on the ice.

I ahve an H2Oc, and am looking at going to California to a race in early Sept. I would like to use a highway mapping chip of some sort to help me navigate from Sacramento to Chico. Any suggestions for a chip?

I think I have map create on an old computer, but dont know if I have all the stuff needed to make my own chip, and even if whats one the cds is current.

Any suggestions?

TIA

R