Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
muskieboy46

Personal best

Got a personal best tonight... actually personal worse. yep, lost 3 fish! didnt get anything in the boat. first attempt at landing a fish by myself didnt go so well. the other two spit the hook after about 3 seconds.

Anyone ever replaced the trailer hook on a mepps musky marabou with a bigger hook?

that is a MUST! great bait - small hooks, lost my PB and two others one weekend because I didn't make the adjustment!!!! although one of those was self net-job that didn't go so well either, I feel your pain......I still think about that fish everyday

That's a bummer. I've had fish come unbuttoned plenty but have done farily well in netting them once they're hooked good. A big help for me has been a longer rod. I think it has helped me "steer" the fist into the net - this still can be tough alone though - throw in darkness and it can get real interesting.

Hiya -

Bigger hooks might help, but sadly, sometimes they just get off. My personal 'best' was losing *11* fish in a row. All on different baits, and different lakes. Just went on one of those streaks... I was doing ok until I hit double digits. #11 was a big fish, fought it all the way to the boat, then it just opened its mouth and *pleh* - puked out the Suick. Spectacular rod-throwing, hat-stomping, potty-mouth meltdown...

I firmly believe though that in the end it all evens out. You'll land some fish you have no business keeping hooked - the ones where they're hooked by the skin of the lip, jump twice, and still don't get off. That's muskie fishing smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I can make Rob feel better, last fall I went 13 fish that were "hooked" and never made it to the net. Talk about being frustrated....!!

-Jeff

(although, #6 or 7 was on a bulldawg that the split rings straightened out on, not sure if that really counts as my fault!)

I change the hooks on almost every bait I have, usually with bigger eagle claws. I feel the little curve helps a little and then on the top water maybe the little bigger hooks add just a little more weight so they don't get thrown out of the water as easy? I don't know, but its what I'm trying now

Quote:
although, #6 or 7 was on a bulldawg that the split rings straightened out on, not sure if that really counts as my fault!)

Been there too, now all Wolverine triple splits. Tough when it's really "not your fault".....

Initial question: I think a 5/0 rides best on the tail end of a Mepps Maribou.

Slumps........ 0 for 3 today. One blow up and miss on a Pacemaker, on hung around for about 10 turns on the 8, another blitzed me from the right on a left side retrieve, if that makes sense. Seemed hot, nose on, and bailed.

Oh well, back to bassin'!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

All those missed fish yesterday were made up for tonight. I caught a 51incher! first picture ive taken by myself so not the best but still shows how big it is.

sunp0026wx5.jpg

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

All those missed fish yesterday were made up for tonight. I caught a 51incher!

See, toldja it all evens out:)

Congrats on a great fish!

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

ok, so this fish is becoming very expensive. I was gathering my stuff together tonight to go fishing and I was missing something. my net! Cant find it anywhere. i dont remember taking it out of the boat last night either. So while in the process of attempting to take a picture with a 51inch fish flopping in my arms i must have kicked it in and not noticed.

So a trip to gander mountain and 120bucks later...

Awesome fish, congrats to you!

The net? Well....things happen. Simple as that, it's replaceable. Better than the camera with the pics lost or a hook in hand, or elsewhere! Easier said when it's not my money I know.....

It does show to everyone how critical a well organized boat is for night fishing. I have my own list of out-of-pocket expenses from night fishing too, lost things, things that go "snap" in the night.....it happens!

Again, congrats!

Here's a tip for those wanting to keep their expensive nets where they belong - in the boat - during the unhooking, photo, and release process.

Tie about a foot long piece of nylon rope around the handle of your net to form a loop and use electrical tape to insure that the rope goes no where. Then, when you land a fish, secure the net to the boat by wrapping the nylon rope around a cleat or some other immovable object several times.

Where ever you decide to anchor your net, make sure the fish and bag are in the water to help insure survival during the release process. It helps to have a bit of flat surface for the base of the net to rest against to keep it from spinning and dumping your fish prematurely. Find the right spot in the boat and use that every time. When you have the right spot, your bag will be in the water with the fish and the net in the up-right position with the hoop held securely just above the water line.

Experiment to find the right set-up for your boat. Once you do, you can take all the time you need to grab tools, camera, or re-gain your composure without having to worry about dumping an expensive net. This method is particularly helpful when fishing alone.

BrianF.

Thanks for the tip Brian. what I thought about doing is use a fish stringer and click one end to the inside of the boat and the other around the hoop. that way even it falls in its still attached to the boat!