Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverrat56

Trolling Rod

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking to add a long rod for trolling, especially when having 3 people in the boat, it would help to get one bait further out to the side. Looking to go somewhere in the 8ft range, but am open to sugestions for longer or shorter rods.

Also I will be pairing this rod with a line counter reel, what would everyone recommend in that catigory?

What is your realistic budget? There are alot of rods that will fit the bill. Do you plan on using a rod holder most of the time or holding it? Cranks or lindys?

Another question - sounds like you're using it for flatlines instead of planer boards, but that will affect what you want to go with also.

For flatlines, I like 7 foot graphite rods in ML or M power. Medium or medium-fast actions if you can find them, but fast actions are okay too. I use Daiwa Sealine 17 LCs. Spooled with one of the superlines, this is a great setup - lightweight and easy to hold, handles fish of all sizes, great feel for working around weeds and breaks, works great with baits from stickbaits all the way up to the biggest deep runners (especially if you have rodholders).

I am NOT a fan of the bigger, longer, mushier trolling rods that some guys like, unless you're pulling boards or leadcore and then they're in the rod holder the whole time anyway.

I have a 8' st. criox Medium power fast action and sealine 17 thought about a 27. spooled w/ 10# fireline crystal. works well for me, needed this setup to do the same thing as you, I found this for a great price when I was looking.

mnfishingguy, realistic budget is somewhere around $150-$175.

PJ, it would be for flat lines, cranks mostly, I haven't added planer boards to my arsenal yet, but the day is coming. Also I do not have a good rod holder set up, trying to find something that will work on my boat. Maybe I will just stick with a 7ft Medium rod I have now, adding a line counter reel and taking my 6500C4 off and then buying a new rod for that little baby. Although buying a whole new set up does sound fun....

My main thing was acctually having a reel with a line counter as my sharpie marks on the line work Ok until I start to talk and lose count.

I run some Cabela's Fish Eagle 10' medium action rods. They are great for flat line trolling and maximizing spreads. Very sensitive and can handle the big reef runners alright but do well the #5 and #7 shad raps.

I also like the Talara's (sp) from Shimano. I don't own any but have used them and wouldn't be afraid to buy some.

mw

My wife got me a Gander Mtn guide series 7 1/2 footer with a daiwa accudepth for my b-day last year and I really like it. Medium action fast tip

I run a Berkley Lightning rod that medium that is 8'6 with a 17 sealine and 27 sealine for leadcore the rod telescopes out to the full length then collapses in a little ways it has a nice soft tip on it i love the set up or i fish with a guy who use's 10'6 St.croix drift rod and they work great to but kind of spendy

He mike is that 10' a 2 peice? about how much does the rod run at cabelas?

Take a look at the Walleye Angler Series Trolling Rods at Bass Pro. They are very nice and are reasonably priced. I believe they are on sale right now. I have about 6 of these and they are great. They are less than $100 and if they are on sale less than $75. I prefer the 8'6" model but the 7'6" are also very nice.

Shimano Talora rod's are great for trolling rap's for walleye's. I pair mine up with Diawa Sealine's. I prefer using mono but to each their own.

Riverrat56: You might want to take a look at the Medium-Heavy Power Casting Rod by Limit Creek. I think that would do you proud. I bought one of their Spinning Rods the other day and I had to really debate whether to et the Casting Rod or the Spinning Rod. (SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED would only let me buy one rod!) I bought the spinning rod but I cried all the way home too!

I have had really good luck with it too. It cost about $55.00 at Moores Bait and Tackle.

Yes, they are 2 piece. They were $79.99. The stores do not always carry them so you might want to check the catalog before you head into the store.

FYI: These rods are designed for steelhead, I believe. The St. Croix "Wild River" rods are also fantastic but a little on the spendy side.

I also saw someone mentioned reels. I run all Sealines. I have tried the accudepths and they seam to only last a few months. I have been running some of the same Sealines for 5 years or more and they are still working great.

Has anyone used the newer Cabela's heavy duty Gold line counters? I was thinking about getting a couple 45's for leadcore. I am mostly interested in how the counters hold up. My past experience with Cabela's brand line counters was the counter breaksright away.

mw

Take a look at St Croix Tidemasters - it's a inshore saltwater rod that a lot of guides are starting to use as a trolling rod paired with Sealines and braid. Hard to find locally but Cabelas carries them. Very good rod better than the wild river series. My preferred rig is a Talora paired with a Tekota line counter. Tekotas costs more than Sealines but they are worth it.

I bought one last year for basically the same purposes you are. I think it is called the Mr. Walleye series or something like that. I picked it up from Fleet F for right around $50 or $60. 8 foot, graphite, medium action. It actually says on the rod what it is best used for. Mine is for bottom bouncers...I dont ever use bottom bouncers...so whatever. I put an ambassador line counter on it for around $80.So right around $140 for everthing. There are other rods in the series for other methods of walleye fishing.

I won't go with anything but a Limit Creek Med/Heavy with a line counter loaded with either lead core or power pro. Awsome rod for the money. Pounded eyes on them with Turk last week.

I run some Cabela's Fish Eagle 10' medium action rods. They are great for flat line trolling and maximizing spreads. Very sensitive and can handle the big reef runners alright but do well the #5 and #7 shad raps.

I picked up a couple of these 2 piece 10' rods from the bargain cave for $40 each. They are pretty nice for trolling the smaller shads as Mike suggested. I've also used them for bouncing spinners and bigger crankbaits on 3 ways a bit. Now that I've reeled in a couple of fish on a 10' medium pole, couldn't image hauling a fish in using one of those Jason Mitchell 14 footers. HS!

LB

"Trollers begged for the longer trolling rod, now they have it! This fourteen foot two piece trolling rod works for hard lines, mono and lead core. Eliminate the use of in line planer boards so that less can go wrong. Run several colors of lead core out the side of the boat, cover a swath that is wider than most people’s yards! This rod boasts a high modulus graphite blank with high quality guides and high grade cork handle. "