Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Pherris

What model Foodsaver

I have decided to purchase a foodsaver vacuum pack system and I am wondering what model to get I would use it mainly for fish and game and possible some store bought meat. Can anyone give me any ideas on what unit would be best for that? Thanks

I bought one at WalMart last year for packaging venison. I bought the cheaper 350 model. I returned it and bought the 550 instead because it had more vacuum. Just 20 minutes ago I finished packaging my venison steaks with it. I am very satisified with the 550.

Pherris

I bought a food saver from Walmart 3 months ago... I bought the model 800... and I love it.. It seems to be the latest model they are promoting on the info commericals...it has the storage for the roll inside and the cutter is nice! several features are just heat seal only and extended seal for items like FISH grin.gif and meats.... maybe the downfall is the cost of the bags shocked.gif I hope this helps

I use it for everything...so Good Luck

------------------
Brother Bro

Work Less Play More

We've got the 550 and like it. Wish there was a better deal on bags. You can use the hose and do a pretty good job with zip bags but I wouldn't count on that for long-term use.

What brand of vacuum packer are those you are talking about and what was the price. I bought one at Target a few years back and it is a piece of dump. I've tried the Foodsaver they advertise on the infomercials and they seem ok. I'm really considering the commercial grade one they sell at Cabela's for around 400 bucks. Has anyone used this kind?

Target sells the Seal-A-Meal, which was the original product on the market. My sister has had one for years and likes it. And the Seal bags are some cheaper than Foodsaver.

If you're a casual user, a mid-range Foodsaver should serve you well. I wouldn't think that you'd get four times the benefit from a high-end Cabelas model.

I was at Gander Mt. today, they didn't have any foodsaver's with those model numbers.Only the proII at $275.00 and a lesser priced one at $150.00.

Any one know if they are more advanced than the 550 or are they just renamed per the retailers store chain?

Benny

My foodsaver is called a Deluxe 2, about 6 years old. Paid 200 for it I think. I'd say we get about a 10-15% failure rate. I expect to be needing one of these machines forever, I'll pop for the best one I can get next time. I'd bite on the 400 dollar cabelas model.

I use a Tilla Food Saver Vac 1050 and the wife and I will never be without one again. My advice is buy the best one that you can afford, you will never regret it.

Pherris,

I have the 1050 and love it. The one feature that is a must have is the manual seal button. There are times when you want to be able to start the seal a tad early due to liquid in your fish filets, birds or venison. If the liquid makes it up to the seal area before your seal is complete, you won't have a good seal.

Thanks,

WG

Walleyeguy, that sounds like some good advice.Never thought about that fact.

I see the 1050 is on sale at Mills Fleet Farm this week.Some where around $130 I think.

Benny

I bought a Tilia Food Saver about 15 years ago and it is just starting to cause me some problems due some seals starting to go bad. It's worked great for years.

What types/brands of bags are all of you using? I borrowed a packer from a friend of mine to package some deer and bought some Rival bags at a Kmart store. They seemed ok and weren't as expensive as others.

I have used 3 brands of bags; Food Saver, Sears and one other. The Sears and the Food Saver worked equally well. The third brand (I cannot remember the name other than they make small home appliances too) only had the special venting on two strips along each side seam of the bag/roll. They were cheaper but didn't seem to seal as well.