Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pherris

What model Foodsaver

17 posts in this topic

I have decided to purchase a foodsaver vacuum pack system and I am wondering what model to get I would use it mainly for fish and game and possible some store bought meat. Can anyone give me any ideas on what unit would be best for that? Thanks

I bought one at WalMart last year for packaging venison. I bought the cheaper 350 model. I returned it and bought the 550 instead because it had more vacuum. Just 20 minutes ago I finished packaging my venison steaks with it. I am very satisified with the 550.

Pherris

I bought a food saver from Walmart 3 months ago... I bought the model 800... and I love it.. It seems to be the latest model they are promoting on the info commericals...it has the storage for the roll inside and the cutter is nice! several features are just heat seal only and extended seal for items like FISH grin.gif and meats.... maybe the downfall is the cost of the bags shocked.gif I hope this helps

I use it for everything...so Good Luck

------------------
Brother Bro

Work Less Play More

We've got the 550 and like it. Wish there was a better deal on bags. You can use the hose and do a pretty good job with zip bags but I wouldn't count on that for long-term use.

I have the 550 and it works fine. Just be sure to get one that handles the 11 inch bags. Some of the lower numbered models can only take 8 inch bags.

What brand of vacuum packer are those you are talking about and what was the price. I bought one at Target a few years back and it is a piece of dump. I've tried the Foodsaver they advertise on the infomercials and they seem ok. I'm really considering the commercial grade one they sell at Cabela's for around 400 bucks. Has anyone used this kind?

Target sells the Seal-A-Meal, which was the original product on the market. My sister has had one for years and likes it. And the Seal bags are some cheaper than Foodsaver.

If you're a casual user, a mid-range Foodsaver should serve you well. I wouldn't think that you'd get four times the benefit from a high-end Cabelas model.

I was at Gander Mt. today, they didn't have any foodsaver's with those model numbers.Only the proII at $275.00 and a lesser priced one at $150.00.

Any one know if they are more advanced than the 550 or are they just renamed per the retailers store chain?

Benny

My foodsaver is called a Deluxe 2, about 6 years old. Paid 200 for it I think. I'd say we get about a 10-15% failure rate. I expect to be needing one of these machines forever, I'll pop for the best one I can get next time. I'd bite on the 400 dollar cabelas model.

I use a Tilla Food Saver Vac 1050 and the wife and I will never be without one again. My advice is buy the best one that you can afford, you will never regret it.

Pherris,

I have the 1050 and love it. The one feature that is a must have is the manual seal button. There are times when you want to be able to start the seal a tad early due to liquid in your fish filets, birds or venison. If the liquid makes it up to the seal area before your seal is complete, you won't have a good seal.

Thanks,

WG

Walleyeguy, that sounds like some good advice.Never thought about that fact.

I see the 1050 is on sale at Mills Fleet Farm this week.Some where around $130 I think.

Benny

I bought a Tilia Food Saver about 15 years ago and it is just starting to cause me some problems due some seals starting to go bad. It's worked great for years.

We have used our 1050 for over a year now and it works great on everything we have tried it on, very easy to use. Ron

What types/brands of bags are all of you using? I borrowed a packer from a friend of mine to package some deer and bought some Rival bags at a Kmart store. They seemed ok and weren't as expensive as others.

I have used 3 brands of bags; Food Saver, Sears and one other. The Sears and the Food Saver worked equally well. The third brand (I cannot remember the name other than they make small home appliances too) only had the special venting on two strips along each side seam of the bag/roll. They were cheaper but didn't seem to seal as well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Looks like the rust belt should of went with a better rustproofing package.........     Donald Trump may have positioned himself as the champion of American workers but Republicans on the Hill are already embracing his “do as I say, not as I do” modus operandi. Under the backing of Paul Ryan, the GOP leadership stripped a provision from a water bill Monday that would have required American-made iron and steel products to be used in infrastructure projects in Flint and elsewhere funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown blasted Republicans, who removed the “Buy America” provision (which passed the Senate with strong bipartisan support) while the House and Senate were reconciling the bills. In other words, GOP leadership scrapped it behind closed doors. “By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin,” said Brown. “This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump’s promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price.” Now, Brown is teaming up with Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania to insert the provision back in the bill. They want to reattach the provision to a nearly $12 billion Water Resource Development Act (WRDA), which authorizes dozens of infrastructure projects around the country and is on track to pass the House this week. “I’m not giving up on this fight,” Baldwin said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “Why would we pass a bill that only benefits Russian and Chinese steel corporations when we could be providing certainty to American manufacturers of steel and iron?” That sentiment was shared by some steel worker groups earlier this week: “From our end it’s a little baffling,” said Roy Houseman, a legislative representative for the United Steelworkers. “It’s been a program that’s been really successful, and it has bipartisan support. We’re just very confused by the Speaker, who’s not listening to the rest of his caucus.” In essence, “Buy America” sounds as nice to Republicans as it did to Trump, but in practice they would rather preserve the "Buy Chinese" option that Trump uses to build his skyscrapers.
    • If there are any twins fans left, I wonder if these new young bucks running the club have asked mauer if he would lift his no trade clause?  I think we know the answer.  I find it interesting to watch these winter meetings trades etc but we are never involved.  It seems like we are missing something as fans.
    • Sorry BD2 --I think the trout is the most dependent on everything Now the king of conservatism is a-----------------------carp   This could get interesting!
    • Sorry but the Walleye is the most Liberal fish in Minnesota. In most lakes it depends solely on the government and taxpayers of the state for it's very survival and proliferation. Lot's of other fish breeds are able to take care of themselves without help from the Government, those are the conservative fish. 
    • They make a variety of suits to suit your fishing style really. If you are a run and gun style fisherman, or if you're a guy that sits in the fish house all day they, and most brands nowadays have one that will suit your needs. I'm more hot blooded so when they first came out I ordered the Lite suit, a little less insulation but just as durable. It has been discontinued but it I think it was replaced with the Predator suit. 
    • Nah....walleyes would be hard-line Republicans;  conservative with little or no imagination, terrified of doing something new or different or pushing ahead with anything not tried before. Show me a 6-pound walleye and I'll show you Barry Goldwater with scales  or Ronald Reagan when he was not napping. PF is right, catching a walleye,  even a nice big fat one, is about as exciting as a naked tussle with Rosie O'Donnell or dragging a bag of seaweed into your boat. We used to catch some really big ones in MT and after a bit we learned that the big perch fought better and were way more tasty!  No kidding, those perch....12-15" were way better eating.  But then we were catching them from cold clear water. But if you are really new to fishing and don't possess a lot of skill by all means become a walleye fisherman-anybody can do it.
    • Well it's "Throw Down" time! For years I have kept a bag of sunflower seeds in the cup holder of my SUV to nibble on as I ride along. In the last few weeks since about the last weekend up north Deer hunting I would come in and think, man I really down some seeds, that was a pretty new bag? Then checking my oil one day noticed some empties under the hood!  Um, someone's having a party? Went to pick up my Deer at the butcher today and again found the new bag almost empty! Checked back seat floor and found a few sprinkles on the floor! That's it, don't mind the little guy along for a ride but don't touch my seeds! Thought about setting up the trail cam to plan some strategy, but just went with the blind two trap set front and back seat floor. Report when I get some results!
    • Read it again grasshopper, I never said any such thing.     Pence LOST jobs, Johnson gained jobs and the money didn't come out of revenue that was already being produced. Johnson's money came out of NEW tax revenue that would have never been earned if they didn't do the deal.   I don't know what that quote is you posted but I never said any of that.
    • Catching a walleye is about as exciting as reeling in a bath towel. Not sure how that justifies being an elitist. Bullheads put up a better fight.    I always considered walleyes to be the liberals of the fish world. 
    • When was the last time? 1835? That was the last time the national debt was paid off.     How would you know that? We've never taken a trillion dollars off the debt EVER.      
  • Our Sponsors