• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What model Foodsaver

Pherris

Question

I have decided to purchase a foodsaver vacuum pack system and I am wondering what model to get I would use it mainly for fish and game and possible some store bought meat. Can anyone give me any ideas on what unit would be best for that? Thanks

16 answers to this question

I bought one at WalMart last year for packaging venison. I bought the cheaper 350 model. I returned it and bought the 550 instead because it had more vacuum. Just 20 minutes ago I finished packaging my venison steaks with it. I am very satisified with the 550.

Pherris

I bought a food saver from Walmart 3 months ago... I bought the model 800... and I love it.. It seems to be the latest model they are promoting on the info commericals...it has the storage for the roll inside and the cutter is nice! several features are just heat seal only and extended seal for items like FISH grin.gif and meats.... maybe the downfall is the cost of the bags shocked.gif I hope this helps

I use it for everything...so Good Luck

------------------
Brother Bro

Work Less Play More

What brand of vacuum packer are those you are talking about and what was the price. I bought one at Target a few years back and it is a piece of dump. I've tried the Foodsaver they advertise on the infomercials and they seem ok. I'm really considering the commercial grade one they sell at Cabela's for around 400 bucks. Has anyone used this kind?

Target sells the Seal-A-Meal, which was the original product on the market. My sister has had one for years and likes it. And the Seal bags are some cheaper than Foodsaver.

If you're a casual user, a mid-range Foodsaver should serve you well. I wouldn't think that you'd get four times the benefit from a high-end Cabelas model.

I was at Gander Mt. today, they didn't have any foodsaver's with those model numbers.Only the proII at $275.00 and a lesser priced one at $150.00.

Any one know if they are more advanced than the 550 or are they just renamed per the retailers store chain?

Benny

My foodsaver is called a Deluxe 2, about 6 years old. Paid 200 for it I think. I'd say we get about a 10-15% failure rate. I expect to be needing one of these machines forever, I'll pop for the best one I can get next time. I'd bite on the 400 dollar cabelas model.

Pherris,

I have the 1050 and love it. The one feature that is a must have is the manual seal button. There are times when you want to be able to start the seal a tad early due to liquid in your fish filets, birds or venison. If the liquid makes it up to the seal area before your seal is complete, you won't have a good seal.

Thanks,

WG

I have used 3 brands of bags; Food Saver, Sears and one other. The Sears and the Food Saver worked equally well. The third brand (I cannot remember the name other than they make small home appliances too) only had the special venting on two strips along each side seam of the bag/roll. They were cheaper but didn't seem to seal as well.