Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

123fish

The Strut Stops Here

I don't have near the birds featherslayer has. My groups were one gobbler with three or four  hens. There was zero gobbling on the roost both mornings. When they hit the ground there was a lot of gobbling and strutting for a couple of hours. The one I shot this morning answered my calls a  couple of times but was out of sight the whole while. He stopped gobbling for a hour and a half when suddenly there was a gobble and close. I called a little bit and he popped out of the trees about eighty yards away and stood there in full strut and just checked things out. Did some soft calling and here he came in full strut and went right to my jake decoy and gave him a beat down. That was all it wrote for him. Classic case of him losing his hens and coming to check out that hen he had answered after flydown. This is a little area I'm hunting and I had let a jake go last year and I'm hoping this was him. Good luck to the rest of our teammates.

The gobbler came in and beat the jake down I shot him and five seconds later the hen decoy fell over from not being able to stake it down in the frozen ground.

IMG_0094.JPG

Well they were all n the other side of the brook and they come over to my side often, but not this morning. I wanted to check so I drove over there. Haha I was right dirty birds and the property owner does not anyone hunt there. 

DF0F532C-DA9B-4AC4-859D-93CDD26ED9B4.jpeg

Maybe tomorrow I can sweet talk one of them to come over. I think a lot of hunters are waiting for later seasons. I checked a couple public land spots and no people tracks or truck tracks. 

Holy Moses how far is that from where you are hunting? There's more strutters in that picture than I see in five years.

3 hours ago, 123fish said:

Holy Moses how far is that from where you are hunting? There's more strutters in that picture than I see in five years.

There is at least double the number to the left side

They roost 150 yards from where my blind is

123 congrats on the bird

Just a matter of time then I would think. One of them will make a mistake and end up down the end of your gun barrel. It would keep my faith up just knowing there are that many around. Good luck.

40 minutes ago, 123fish said:

Just a matter of time then I would think. One of them will make a mistake and end up down the end of your gun barrel. It would keep my faith up just knowing there are that many around. Good luck.

I will get one they will come over the brook and I will be waiting.

Looks like ill be taken a buddy out this wed. I enjoy calling one in for somebody just as much as shooting one. Hopefully everything works out for this is only his 2nd year at it. Last year i took him and he shot a dandy bird with a 11 1/4 beard and 1 1/8" spurs and weighed a little over 23#'s. 

Totally agree with you featherslayer. I have a bud who will be down May 2. Just as much fun calling for him and figuring strategy as shooting one myself. More fun actually.

Good job guys! Great start to the season.

Every bird is around now except for a turkey. I heard them as the sun came up but I know they went to that field again. I am going to stick it out and see if I can get one to come over in a while.

1 hour ago, featherslayer 1 said:

Well it looks like a successful morning, buddy got his bird. Weieghed in at 25.6#'s  10" beard and spurs 1 1/8". Heres the happy hunter.

20180425_063626.jpg

Even with all the snow gone, they still dont want to come out in the fields. Even this morning i really got on the slate, this one come in at 640. Now im cayching brown trout. Good luck fellas

Hope your trout fishing was as good as your turkey hunting. Beautiful morning, beautiful bird. Congrats.

Yes the trout was biting also, we both brought home 5

3 hours ago, 123fish said:

Hope your trout fishing was as good as your turkey hunting. Beautiful morning, beautiful bird. Congrats.

3 hours ago, DrJ said:

Got my bird right away at 6:15 Wednesday morning. Will post detail's later.

Congrats, DrJ now the suspence. Looks like the team is definitely putting a stop to the strutters.