• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Man Killed After Fishing Argument on St. Croix River

Vitreus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What terrible outcome. Prayers sent to his wife and 5 young children.

Another article I read stated that the murderers were being loud and rude, also smoking weed. Peter and his friend essentially told them to knock it off and the perps challenged them to come to the other side of the river.

I hope these cowards that stabbed him spend a lifetime in jail.

There is something that needs to change with the gang banger culture. Other than good parenting I don't know how it will change.

My own father was stabbed by a punk whom he was telling to knock off what he was doing. Luckily it was non-fatal, but still required surgery. The kid was under 18 at the time and got a slap on the wrist....

What a horrible tragedy and a loss of what appears to be a great person. I was just up at that park a couple of weeks ago- one of my favorite getaways for my two girls and I.

So it appears they crossed the river by getting in their car and going over the bridge? It doesn't sound like any boats were involved.

Many years ago I had some punks taking long potshots at me with a rifle in the desert in California and I got in my truck and went to confront them (I was furious of course!). By the time I got to where I think they were up on a hillside, they were gone. Almost immediately I realized that was the best outcome and I felt I was quite foolish to even think about messing with people like that (I had a .22 with me, but I know I would have never gotten out of my truck brandishing it).

I'll be very interested to hear more details about what went wrong here. Why those kids think they can get away with murder is what puzzles me most- they'll get caught and will be going to jail for a long time.

They know the dogs names, have a vehicle descrirptions, but didn't tell the public what they look like...in regards to race? Saw two nesd stories and read one article of which neither described what they looked like.

I have no idea what race they are but typically the "News" has no probable healineing an articel "White Cop / Black Victim".

Not to lay blame on the person who was stabbed but this is a perfect example of where the world is at right now. Easy solution would have been to avoid the confrontation and just call the cops. Gone are the days when you could settle things through discussion and maybe a good old fashioned fist fight, shake hands afterwards and walk away. One doesn't know what you're going to deal with in todays world when a glance at someone is considered "disrespecting" him. With that being said my condolences to the family of the deceased and hope they catch this guy and put him behind bars.

Unless its an unavoidable situation walk away and go home to your loved ones.

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the TV news this a.m. said they were 3 white guys

it is odd that the news articles don't mention race at this point, but I doubt they would really be holding back on that info if they were minorities- our country and the press has a long history of making it quite clear when wanted criminals are black, hispanic, asian, etc.

Not to lay blame on the person who was stabbed but this is a perfect example of where the world is at right now. Easy solution would have been to avoid the confrontation and just call the cops. Gone are the days when you could settle things through discussion and maybe a good old fashioned fist fight, shake hands afterwards and walk away. One doesn't know what you're going to deal with in todays world when a glance at someone is considered "disrespecting" him. With that being said my condolences to the family of the deceased and hope they catch this guy and put him behind bars.

Unless its an unavoidable situation walk away and go home to your loved ones.

Seems like the stabber might have a self-defense claim. The victim and his buddy drove across the river to find and confront them, an altercation ensues, and one guy ends up dead.

I think this case will be pretty tough unless there is cell phone video or something.

It makes a good example for not getting carried away by emotions.

EDIT - by time I finished typing this, Del had already mentioned the self defense. Sorry for basically repeating what he said smile

Not to lay blame on the person who was stabbed but this is a perfect example of where the world is at right now.

This article mentions that they are looking for 3 white guys and that the argument went on for several hours, before the 2 guys crossed over the river for the confrontation.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/crime/2...river/25817705/

Bummer deal, but seems like cooler heads didn't prevail.

The TV clip above mentions several times that the suspects were "swearing and smoking pot". Well, that's kind of a given for male teens-early 20s, isn't it? That's pretty much what my pals and I would have been doing at that age fishing somewhere.

I'm certainly not condoning the violence and stabbing that occurred, but hey, what sort of a society do we live in where kids can't go and be jerks out in the woods if they want? Were they really that much of a bother on the other side of the river? Now if the man had his kids with him and they were hearing that stuff, that would be another story.

I know we still don't have all the facts yet, so I am just speculating at this point what might have happened.

It shouldn't take long for a friend of Peter Kelly's to see this thread. Just something to think about.

Let me point out that I made no judgement of who started anything or what happened. I was pointing out the circumstances and what the defense will be. Hopefully some actual witnesses will be located who can tell what really happened.

It is pretty clear in retrospect that errors in judgement were made by both parties. One guy drove over to confront and another used a knife. In fact, the yelling trash talk back and forth across the river for 3 hours seems like a bad idea for both sides, at least to me.

I don't think it's clear at this point exactly which party "started" the actual fight- I think that should make a big difference at how this case will be viewed
Exactly! True he went out of his way to confront the other folks by driving to the other side, but the story thus far does NOT indicate WHO initiated the physical contact. You can argue who initiated the confrontation, but the physical confrontation initiation hasn't been confirmed by any facts I have read thus far.

Either way, its a tragedy and the gutless suckers who left the scene of a crime, had they "done nothing wrong, but defend themselves" they should have stayed.

So in my mind THEY are the guilty ones by their actions until other facts arise.

Let me point out that I made no judgement of who started anything or what happened. I was pointing out the circumstances and what the defense will be. Hopefully some actual witnesses will be located who can tell what really happened.

It is pretty clear in retrospect that errors in judgement were made by both parties. One guy drove over to confront and another used a knife. In fact, the yelling trash talk back and forth across the river for 3 hours seems like a bad idea for both sides, at least to me.

Very true! What is the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished"? He may have been a very standup guy and just trying to inform these guys about how to act in public or whatever. Somewhere along the line something went terribly wrong.

The time will come in our society where NO ONE will do anything and the "bad" people will just run amuck.

I just saw that one community in Florida is looking at making drastic changes due to the issues at Spring Break. They was actually people videoing as multiple men gang-raped some drunk woman all the while hundreds (yes hundreds) of people were merely a few paces away and no one did anything.

Sadly, there will be more of this in this country.

I was going to bring up another situation that was all over the news a few years ago, but decided this is not the forum for that.

My point is that these days you don't know who you will run into and what they will do so getting involved might not be the best idea. Perhaps a call to law enforcement would have been a better idea. weed is still against the law even in wisconsin.

My point is that these days you don't know who you will run into and what they will do so getting involved might not be the best idea. Perhaps a call to law enforcement would have been a better idea. weed is still against the law even in wisconsin.
Well said!

Innocent people are not known to flee the scene of a death they caused...... are they???

If I myself was put into a self defense situation, death or no death, I would stay at the scene and wait for the police.....unless I felt guilty of murder, then I'd be running..... just saying.....

People get angry at each other every day, but it is just terrible when it can escalate to what happened here.

Again, prayers sent to all of his loved ones. It's a small town I lived near to for 25 years, so I may even know some of you? Peter was just a couple years older than me, it's highly likely we competed together in high school sports. Take care you guys and you will always be in my heart.

-Brandon Meyer from Balsam Lake

Innocent people are not known to flee the scene of a death they caused...... are they???

If I myself was put into a self defense situation, death or no death, I would stay at the scene and wait for the police.....unless I felt guilty of murder, then I'd be running..... just saying.....

I was going to bring up another situation that was all over the news a few years ago, but decided this is not the forum for that.

Unfortunately, that may not be the best solution as time goes on. It seems more and more we are hearing about how a cop using a taser is dragged under the bus by the ACLU or a cop drawing and heaven forbid using his weapon results in being dragged through the mud. Basically, if they do anything more than just asking suspects to please be nice they are looking at serious issues with society.