• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Septic System update

fishin58

We upgraded our septic system 10 years ago. It was sized for a three-bedroom home and I supplied the top soil for finishing it off and installed the electrical part myself. Total cost was almost $6,000.00 here in Todd County. Would have been closer to $7500.00 if everything was supplied by the contractor.

Yours would have a smaller tank and drain field or mound but with the increased costs over the past 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if it cost close to the same as ours.

You dont mention the area, We bought and moved to our lake home in 2000.I did all the checking of septic,DNR rules for lake shore,County rules.Everything was a go.Next thing the empty lot nextdoor went up forsale at a good price bought it. County refused a permit for septic on that empty lot,Applied for a holding tank permit.Refused! Was then told sewer was comming at a cost of 18,000.00 per lot because of water quality and was told septic systems was the cause of bad water quality.4 years later water quality is getting worse every year with heavy rains.I got screwed sewer was hid from us till last minute. Lakeshore owners voted it down,Then county commissioners said it was necessary with DNR agreement.Watch out and check with the county!!

Typical septic with mound and lift station was around 12,000.00 in 2010

We are looking at a cabin, but they want us to have a confroming septic system. How much would a septic replacement be for a 2 bedroom 1 bath cabin? It currently has a 700 gallon tank and a drain field.

Where?

Which lake?

Do you have a place for a mound?

We have 2 bids both around 10 grand. The bad news now is 3 different banks said they will not give us a loan until the septic is fixed. So, we have to wait until May or sooner...anybody know average thaw dates for the Fergus area?

Any mortgage reps familiar with this, our realtor initially told us we can buy the place and set-up an escrow to pay for the sewer later. But now the banks are saying different.

you're between 70-90 days from a thaw. That's not too far off. Can you work a deal with the seller on "renting" for a few months? Kind of goofy but if the realtor should be able to work something out.

Obviously best plan is finding a lender who will work with you more.

Did you check with banks in the area of the cabin? When we bought ours, 12 years ago, the city banks were not helpful. Went to a local bank in the area of the cabin and it was a pleasure to work with them, even their rates were good - they know the area and the ins and outs of the cabin purchasing. I know things have changed, but if you haven't yet, give that a try. Good luck!

This isn't the first time this has come up. In fact I suspect that it is routine in areas where there are septic systems. Banks won't take a chance on a mortgage for a property that may end up being uninhabitable.

If the seller sets up the escrow the money is part of the purchase price and gets included in the mortgage. If the buyer has to do it they likely have to come up with the money before the mortgage is approved. If you have an extra $10K to let sit in an escrow for 5 months that can work, but I suspect most would want to pay if off via the mortgage.

Anyone dealing on a property with a septic system that is more than 20 years old is going to have this problem. Most likely those systems don't meet the current code and are going to have to be replaced when the property changes hands.

This isn't the first time this has come up. In fact I suspect that it is routine in areas where there are septic systems. Banks won't take a chance on a mortgage for a property that may end up being uninhabitable.

If the seller sets up the escrow the money is part of the purchase price and gets included in the mortgage. If the buyer has to do it they likely have to come up with the money before the mortgage is approved. If you have an extra $10K to let sit in an escrow for 5 months that can work, but I suspect most would want to pay if off via the mortgage.

Anyone dealing on a property with a septic system that is more than 20 years old is going to have this problem. Most likely those systems don't meet the current code and are going to have to be replaced when the property changes hands.

That certainly is the case in St Louis county. Previously a septic that had not failed and conformed to the previous code at time of construction was grandfathered, but a few years ago they changed the rules. So, at a minimum I think one has to have an approved design for a conforming septic and probably some escrow. For a while the work had to actually be done first, but I think they changed that. (In fact, the septic has to be made conforming to get a building permit even if no sale is involved)

No septics are or have been grandfathered in since 1995.There are many nonconforming yet.But to find nonconforming a core test has to be done.there are few if any septic records from before 1995.In todays world the exchange of property is a required septic test and most likly upgrade,Tests can be omitted if no records exist,which would mean a nonconforming system is present.the new septic rules started getting heavy in 1995 and since have been amended multiple times.Some septics from 1995 to around 2001 are now nonconforming.they need upgrade at exchange of property,They can be forced to upgrade but it seems problems have to be detected first,the state isnt pushing upgrades for systems from 95 forward as they say they are boarder line.

The current regulations for septic systems when buying a property are needed to protect natural resourses and a buyer....If your buying any property with a septic system, it is wise for you to have an inspection, no matter the age....Hoping a system will limp threw an inspection will often come back to haunt you....Life expectancy of 15 years is fairly normal , but, depends on variables.....The seller is normally responsible to upgrade the system prior to a sale, however , he may raise the sale price to offset some of the cost.....Good Luck.

When we sold our lake home on Osakis 20+ years ago, we had a nonconforming septic system. We had to put around 8,000.00 into escrow before we could close. Don't remember if we did it because the bank made us or if we did it to improve our chances to sell.