Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishin58

Septic System update

We are looking at a cabin, but they want us to have a confroming septic system. How much would a septic replacement be for a 2 bedroom 1 bath cabin? It currently has a 700 gallon tank and a drain field.

We upgraded our septic system 10 years ago. It was sized for a three-bedroom home and I supplied the top soil for finishing it off and installed the electrical part myself. Total cost was almost $6,000.00 here in Todd County. Would have been closer to $7500.00 if everything was supplied by the contractor.

Yours would have a smaller tank and drain field or mound but with the increased costs over the past 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if it cost close to the same as ours.

Thanks Bob, i saw your old posts about yours, I was trying to find anything current fro some guys on here. I am hoping that i do not have to replace, but it is 40 years old.

You dont mention the area, We bought and moved to our lake home in 2000.I did all the checking of septic,DNR rules for lake shore,County rules.Everything was a go.Next thing the empty lot nextdoor went up forsale at a good price bought it. County refused a permit for septic on that empty lot,Applied for a holding tank permit.Refused! Was then told sewer was comming at a cost of 18,000.00 per lot because of water quality and was told septic systems was the cause of bad water quality.4 years later water quality is getting worse every year with heavy rains.I got screwed sewer was hid from us till last minute. Lakeshore owners voted it down,Then county commissioners said it was necessary with DNR agreement.Watch out and check with the county!!

Typical septic with mound and lift station was around 12,000.00 in 2010

Depends on the county and exact soil type. My last quote was 18,000 for a simple 3 bedroom system, that would without a doubt freeze up in the winter. We went with a composting toilet instead.

we charge depends on the situation but around 11k for 3 bed mound 12 for a 4 and 13k for a 5 will be in the ballpark anyway. at grades are bit cheaper but not as common

We are looking at a cabin, but they want us to have a confroming septic system. How much would a septic replacement be for a 2 bedroom 1 bath cabin? It currently has a 700 gallon tank and a drain field.

Where?

Which lake?

Do you have a place for a mound?

It really depends on the area and if the soils are suitable. Around here it's mostly sand with enough separation to groundwater. I was quoted around $6,000 a couple years ago for a 3 bedroom sized system. Mounds are pretty rare here.

On the other hand, in St Louis Co, lots of mounds especially near the lakes.

Best advice is to discuss with your local licensed Septic Designer. (don't talk to the county health department without them)

We have 2 bids both around 10 grand. The bad news now is 3 different banks said they will not give us a loan until the septic is fixed. So, we have to wait until May or sooner...anybody know average thaw dates for the Fergus area?

Any mortgage reps familiar with this, our realtor initially told us we can buy the place and set-up an escrow to pay for the sewer later. But now the banks are saying different.

you're between 70-90 days from a thaw. That's not too far off. Can you work a deal with the seller on "renting" for a few months? Kind of goofy but if the realtor should be able to work something out.

Obviously best plan is finding a lender who will work with you more.

Did you check with banks in the area of the cabin? When we bought ours, 12 years ago, the city banks were not helpful. Went to a local bank in the area of the cabin and it was a pleasure to work with them, even their rates were good - they know the area and the ins and outs of the cabin purchasing. I know things have changed, but if you haven't yet, give that a try. Good luck!

This isn't the first time this has come up. In fact I suspect that it is routine in areas where there are septic systems. Banks won't take a chance on a mortgage for a property that may end up being uninhabitable.

If the seller sets up the escrow the money is part of the purchase price and gets included in the mortgage. If the buyer has to do it they likely have to come up with the money before the mortgage is approved. If you have an extra $10K to let sit in an escrow for 5 months that can work, but I suspect most would want to pay if off via the mortgage.

Anyone dealing on a property with a septic system that is more than 20 years old is going to have this problem. Most likely those systems don't meet the current code and are going to have to be replaced when the property changes hands.

This isn't the first time this has come up. In fact I suspect that it is routine in areas where there are septic systems. Banks won't take a chance on a mortgage for a property that may end up being uninhabitable.

If the seller sets up the escrow the money is part of the purchase price and gets included in the mortgage. If the buyer has to do it they likely have to come up with the money before the mortgage is approved. If you have an extra $10K to let sit in an escrow for 5 months that can work, but I suspect most would want to pay if off via the mortgage.

Anyone dealing on a property with a septic system that is more than 20 years old is going to have this problem. Most likely those systems don't meet the current code and are going to have to be replaced when the property changes hands.

That certainly is the case in St Louis county. Previously a septic that had not failed and conformed to the previous code at time of construction was grandfathered, but a few years ago they changed the rules. So, at a minimum I think one has to have an approved design for a conforming septic and probably some escrow. For a while the work had to actually be done first, but I think they changed that. (In fact, the septic has to be made conforming to get a building permit even if no sale is involved)

No septics are or have been grandfathered in since 1995.There are many nonconforming yet.But to find nonconforming a core test has to be done.there are few if any septic records from before 1995.In todays world the exchange of property is a required septic test and most likly upgrade,Tests can be omitted if no records exist,which would mean a nonconforming system is present.the new septic rules started getting heavy in 1995 and since have been amended multiple times.Some septics from 1995 to around 2001 are now nonconforming.they need upgrade at exchange of property,They can be forced to upgrade but it seems problems have to be detected first,the state isnt pushing upgrades for systems from 95 forward as they say they are boarder line.

The current regulations for septic systems when buying a property are needed to protect natural resourses and a buyer....If your buying any property with a septic system, it is wise for you to have an inspection, no matter the age....Hoping a system will limp threw an inspection will often come back to haunt you....Life expectancy of 15 years is fairly normal , but, depends on variables.....The seller is normally responsible to upgrade the system prior to a sale, however , he may raise the sale price to offset some of the cost.....Good Luck.

When we sold our lake home on Osakis 20+ years ago, we had a nonconforming septic system. We had to put around 8,000.00 into escrow before we could close. Don't remember if we did it because the bank made us or if we did it to improve our chances to sell.