• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

COME ON SNOW!!!

leech~~

I know, the year started out so promissing for sled heads, but all that snow came too early. Trails not open, and things not froze up yet. Now we have a huge thaw potentially coming.

I have a feeling my prediction is going to come true this year. Very little snow and not real cold.

As a snow lover I hope we get some, but will not be broken hearted since I am sledless at the moment and I need my ATV to get around ice fishing. :-)

prediction:

Minneapolis Winter Summary

This will not be like last winter, we'll get a few spring-like days to head out to the park with a light jacket even in January, yeah January. Expect the unexpected in this upcoming El Nino winter. Mild and sunny one week and cold and snowy the next. If you want variety in your winter weather this is the winter to follow. The winter will start warmer and drier than normal and end on the colder, snowier side in February and March.

AVERAGE SNOWFALL IN MINNEAPOLIS 49.9"

2014-2015 WINTER SNOWFALL WILL BE

44.0"

I got my wish for cold early, and we have ice on the lakes by cabin. Still could use some more cold yet, but I really wish for some snow for sledding by xmas. Have the grandkids coming up, with fresh sled safety certs, and hoping we can hit the trails over xmas weekend.

I agree, it will be a fluctuating winter, just hope that the warm stretches don't take all the snow away like they did a few years ago. I actually loved last winter, even with the cold.

Well it looks like these guys found some! grin

Listen to the very last words on this video at the end. Something you don't want to hear when it's getting dark and your towing out a buddy in the Mtn, in deep snow and snow is still falling! eek

OHH MAN that's hard work pulling a sled out, I pulled an RMK out it sucked! You realize you don't stop unless you pointed downhill or on the trail, my sled turned into a bucking bull, pitching one way then another, I wasn't a happy camper and glad to unhook and let someone else take over.

Buddies are out in W. Yellowstone right now, they sent some pics yesterday, looked like they hit a TON of powder, said they were having a blast.

Speaking of listening to the last words, check out the last 45 seconds of this one, still one of my favorite!

You would be surprised how fast the bottom goes out from under you when the powder is deep, done it many times and the worst part?? you're on the flats and you have NO gravity working for you, it's all grunt work to get out, unlike when you get stuck on the hills, those are easy to get unstuck.

As they say Mtn riding, when in doubt..... throttle out! usually it works to pin it..... usually grin

Had a similar deal one time out there. Drove out non stop, tired as heck but unloaded the trucks and hit the powder. Incredible amounts.... All five of us were stuck in the flats in less than an hour. Took 45 minutes before we were able to get a couple sleds free. Thought my lungs were gonna explode! confused

Here we r. January. No snow. Well, anybody have predictions? January is historically a dry month. What a joke MN has become snow wise.

Wish I had a scheduled that allowed me to travel west.

I was thinking that the other day, once the January cold hits we may not get much snow at all this winter? frown

Guess I'll be doing more ice fishing and putting new hyfax on next spring. But, it may fair well for the Deer herd this year? wink

Things might be turning, they 'say' we are in store for 3 - 5 inches in our area, further north could see 9"...... we'll see.

Hopefully this storm will get it snowing again!

My sled is still sitting on the trailer where I put it last spring, 2 guys have new Mtn sleds with 0 miles on them, they need to get some miles on before we head west.

Mike

I hope the Taconite trail got some good snow as the North Shore trail didnt get much and here in Duluth only about a half inch ,,,,I hope the next blizzard doesnt have to come from Dairy Queen

Funny you just posted this. I was just looking out the window with my morning cup of coffee thinking. Wonder how much snow the Taconite trail to Ely got? laugh

Anybody have a trail report from the arrowhead region or tac trails? I might need to trailer north soon or I'm going to go postal crazy

MR

The DNR posts a trails report on their site which is updated every Thursday. I would swing by and pick you up with my trailer if Brainerd wasn't so far from the trail to Ely which I head right up 35W for. frown

Well I'm not much for riding except when I'm headed ou. t fishing so I'm angry to say this. We got somewhere between 8-10" in Ely the last couple days. I was really liking the conditions for hiking into the BWCAW and riding my wheeler out fishing. Not sure if they started to groom yet though.