• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sell me on a new trolling motor.

slick2526

Question

I like to fish out of the back of my boat and it is a tiller. 87 alumacraft competitor 16.5. I mainly fish walleye and occasionally bass and I need a trolling motor with more power. I am going to be doing some upgrades as far as re wiring the whole boat, new lights inside, new toggle panel, and rebuilding the cast deck so I can get two batteries up front instead of one.

Getting to my point I am looking for 24 volt bow or transom mount trolling motor no less then 80lb thrust. I was looking at the different type of tiller handle trolling motors and 80lb thrust. I plan on having this boat and the trolling motor for a long time and the first this i seen was the vantage series and I like all the features but of course its 1300 and some change.

I also have been looking at the terrova with I pilot like but I dont think I can throw that much cash into my boat this summer with the upgrades i want to do. I am running a 858hd di so I have been drooling over the i pilot link system but that is some serious coin up front.

I am leaning hard toward buying just a plain terrova and upgrading it with the i pilot link system down the road and just sticking with the 12 volt I have on the back for a trolling motor now.Whats your thoughts on what I should do? Will i be happy with just a bow mount and not a good transom mount trolling motor? I shouldnt have issues with the bow mount getting in the way of the type on fishing I do. At least not what i can see anyways.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions

Slick

I'd agree there is some serious coin involved no matter what your choice.

I have a 1198 bird am too drooling for the link, however I prefer sitting in my cockpit I run a tiller.

So I have the vantage on the back for now.

It really comes down to what you prefer fishing in the front or the back.

And of course you have advantages with different presentations with either choice.

I can say that I've had 2 vantage motors and they have held up well.

Slick I had that same boat with a 48 lb autopilot until 2003 and found that to be plenty of power.

Yesterday I bought the 80 lb Terrova with I Pilot last years display model for 1350.00.

They also have a 55lb terova with I Pilot for 1050.00 at FF in Oakdale. Just a thought.

Now to sell the 65lb Autopilot.

HTB

With the boat you have, I seriously do not think you need 80lbs of thrust (your boat, your call. I fully realize that). I have a MK 50 lb Powerdrive v2 with iPilot and it moves my Fish Hawk 1750 around real good (I'm 6'2", pushing 3-bills, and I like to have ALL my stuff in the boat) . I have never needed it above 6. Granted, I have not been out in conditions that warranted 6.5+, but I don't think I would like to be out in those conditions anyway. I realize that you want the link-up and all the other bits, I am just going on sheer lbs. of thrust. Save yourself some coin (or get it earlier) by downsizing the thrust. If you REALLY need one that big, look at a 70. Seriously, you could pull water-skiers in your boat with an 80.

iPilot in whatever size is the ticket. Use spotlock once and you will be sold. We don't have it yet, but that is next major move when the ca$h is around. We had an '87 Competitor (you didn't buy it from us did you? 90 merc with pin-striping?) and had only 12v 40 pounds I think. 55 would work I would think, as having 2 batteries for 24v would weigh it down noticeably in that size boat. I think we used a group 29 instead of 27 for a bit of extra time.

If you don't care about weight, then go 24v as you get much longer running time, regardless of what thrust you are using. But then you need two batteries, 3 bank (I guess two would work) charger, maybe heavier wiring.... it all adds up smile

That Competitor was an awesome boat to fish out of, and ski from in our younger years smile

Whats the big difference between the powerdrive and the terrova? What I have seen with my 45lb thrust trolling motor on the back of my boat I am not very impressed with it. To me it seems like it takes to long for it to react quickly enough even at full power try to turn or stop the boat in one spot. trying to back troll its pretty useless for what I have experienced in any type of wind. I just have a hard time believing that 10lb more thrust will make that big of difference but maybe I am wrong also judging a transom mount motor compared to a bow mount motor capabilities. I am looking forward to the spot lock and auto pilot I know that.

From what you guys are saying you have had good luck with the 12 volt 55lb thrust bowmount systems. Would be less remodeling my boat but how long of battery life are you getting in a 15-20 mph head wind when trying to stay on course between 1-2 mph headed straight into the wind?

I always though 24 volt systems were better on battery life also for all day use on open water trolling, not just in bays or protected by the wind.

I was planning on replacing my casting deck anyways and making it bigger.

12 volt 55#PD here also on a 1750 Crestliner FH.Have 24volt 70# on transom that doen't get used a lot.When it gets that windy I'm usually driting & only using TM to adjust drift.You didn't mention a charging system.Do you have a on board charger?I fished a lot out my dad's boat('88 Classic) & all it ever had was a 55#PD without OB charger.I do a lot of rigging & if it gets too windy I just throw out a drift sock.I can see your point though trying to backtroll in that kind of wind without enough power can be a PITA.

Curious why you are back trolling with an electric? When I think back trolling it is utilizing that flat transom to intentionally slow you down. Unless you are talking jigging instead of trolling.

Most back trolling I know of is trying to reduce speed when using the main motor.

A 70lb would be more than adequate. I have a 70lb bow mount on an 18' (1,700 pound dry) with a windshield and it moves it around 2.5mph at full speed. I turn on the main motor if I want to go faster.

Sometimes I wish I had an 80lb then I look in my wallet and I'm happier.

The main selling point to me between the terrova and PD2 is the stow and release mechanisms. The Terrova is easier to stow and release when you are spot hopping.

I am assuming he wants the Terrova for the ease of link up. Also, with the Terrova you can use the spot-lock and other features along with the foot pedal. You cannot do that with the Powerdrive V-2. You can attach a foot pedal but then your i-pilot stuff is inactive. It took me about a month to get used to no foot pedal (Put the remote on a retractable key cord. Still not thrilled about it since I bass fish but I got it at a yard sale for $350.00 so that settled that). And spot-lock is the bomb if you want to fish a spot thoroughly with out an anchor or forking out $2600 for dual PowerPoles/Talons The reason you can use a bow-mount with less lbs. of thrust vs a transom is that the transom has to push a boat whereas a bow mount is pulling the boat. This decreases motor strain, and thus improves battery life.

Also if you go with a 12v 55lb'er, you can run two batteries in Parallel (Please read how to do this on real science sites, not here). This allows you to technically have twice as long battery life as it stays 12v (that stuff you can read up on here. I only sorta understand it).

I have an 80 lb terrova with no ipilot on an old 1775 provee. The two advantages of the terrova over the pd I previously had are easier stow and deploy, and a better autopilot.

With the ipilot, the autopilot thing might not matter. It steers faster to my perception. Then there is the foot pedal thing.

I also have the US2, which I really like, for hooking up sonar in the bow.

Looks like the PD2 doesn't have the built in transducer. Price difference for the package is like 3-400 with the rebate on the terrova.

I also like the 80 lb thrust, although I don't run wide open very often

According to the Minn Kota site, you can still get the PD2 with US2. You scared me Del.

First in their list of PDV2 models, PowerDrive V2 70/US2/i-Pilot. Which is what I have. I also wouldn't be without iPilot.

According to the Minn Kota site, you can still get the PD2 with US2. You scared me Del.

First in their list of PDV2 models, PowerDrive V2 70/US2/i-Pilot. Which is what I have. I also wouldn't be without iPilot.

Sorry. I just took a quick look at the site of the Big C.

It seems to me that the autopilot is redundant with the gps on the ipilot, right?

12 volt 55#PD here also on a 1750 Crestliner FH.Have 24volt 70# on transom that doen't get used a lot.When it gets that windy I'm usually driting & only using TM to adjust drift.You didn't mention a charging system.Do you have a on board charger?I fished a lot out my dad's boat('88 Classic) & all it ever had was a 55#PD without OB charger.I do a lot of rigging & if it gets too windy I just throw out a drift sock.I can see your point though trying to backtroll in that kind of wind without enough power can be a PITA.

havent decided on what on board charger yet. as of right now no I dont. I was only running a 12v system with one trolling motor so I just used a single charger.

Curious why you are back trolling with an electric? When I think back trolling it is utilizing that flat transom to intentionally slow you down. Unless you are talking jigging instead of trolling.

Most back trolling I know of is trying to reduce speed when using the main motor.

A 70lb would be more than adequate. I have a 70lb bow mount on an 18' (1,700 pound dry) with a windshield and it moves it around 2.5mph at full speed. I turn on the main motor if I want to go faster.

Sometimes I wish I had an 80lb then I look in my wallet and I'm happier.

The main selling point to me between the terrova and PD2 is the stow and release mechanisms. The Terrova is easier to stow and release when you are spot hopping.

bingo on the jigging statement. electric doesnt work worth a dump doing that. a lot of times the big motor is still to much back trolling/ trying to stay in place. I have the grey area I am trying to fix. I would like something to be able to hold me with out have to switch from neutral to reverse all the time

I think the Big C store has a sale on them once or twice a year yet.Not sure when though.Sometimes you can find 1 or 2 in the "Bargain Cave" or they had a few "reconditioned" every now & then,but they go fast.We have went that direction(reconditioned) a couple of times with good results.We couldn't find what we wanted from Cabelas so we ordered from a tackle shop that's only a block or so from the Minnkota plant in Mankato.It's called "The Bobber Shop" & they a big selection of reconditioned ones.L&M is another good place.

Don't be afraid to look at reman chargers. They are out there in many brands, for much less than new. We have one now that is working fine.

For on-board charger, I would get one that has high output and also able to split up the charge according to battery need.

Another BIG thing to me, that our current three bank does NOT have, is to have a visible light EACH battery. Our old one did, we bought new one online without reailizing, and we really miss not being able to easily look at the charger and seeing which batt is taking a charge, or charged, or has some issue that needs tending to. Get one with individual lights.

We have a two bank Cabelas brand in another boat and I like it. Have had good luck with Guest brand as well.

You guys have really been a big help and I appreciate it. I am really leaning toward just sticking with the 12 volt system after everything I have read and from your guys experiences.

My question is further down the road if I decide I want to upgrade the bow mount the I pilot is a permanent accessory on what trolling motor I buy is it? I can take it off if I want correct?

One thing I dont understand when reading the HSOforum is the i pilot link is only a accessory for the pd v2? you cant buy it already installed on the trolling motor? I dont quite understand why it would be like that or maybe I am not getting it reading the HSOforum

I have no experience with them but many here do(used to be a sponsor) with nothing but good things to say.Call Pro Fishing Supply & talk to them,they will at least help you figure out was is best for your needs.He knows his stuff & goes out of his way to help everyone, from what I hear.I'm sure he will tell you when he going to have it on sale.Personally I wouldn't worry about price to much at 1st as I would about getting what you need for your boat & the way you fish.There's a lot of competition out there these days with the internet & everything.Many find the best price & get a vendor in thier area to pricmatch so if they need some CS later on there's no problem.I'm sure he can answer your I-pilot questions.

bingo on the jigging statement. electric doesnt work worth a dump doing that. a lot of times the big motor is still to much back trolling/ trying to stay in place. I have the grey area I am trying to fix. I would like something to be able to hold me with out have to switch from neutral to reverse all the time

That clears things up.

The next thing to decide is what do you prefer, transom or bow mount? I fish with a friend that prefers his transom mount over his bow mount 2:1. I prefer using a bow mount. We both do a lot of vertical jigging and both options work. So it comes down to preferences.

If you are good with a bow mount then the iPilot would be the way to go, just for spot lock alone. Then it comes down to how much you want to spend, PD2 or Terrova. And can you get by without foot peddle? If not, then a terrova.

I have an 18' Lund and was going to buy a kicker motor for back trolling. I ended up buying a bow mount Terrova 80lb with Ipilot because I wanted the spot lock and thought I'd add the kicker later. Absolutely no need for a kicker now. We forward troll a lot using the Terrova and it works great. Go with the longer shaft if you plan to do this to keep from cavitating on the windy days.

Dual Pro for an on board charger.

I buy almost all of my high dollar boat stuff from Pro Fishing Supply. Tough to beat their prices and free shipping.