• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #5 "TOM COMMANDERS" Official Site

bmc

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you blasted them out the window? shocked Atta boy! grin

I should have specified that those pics were from Friday evening while scouting (1 day before opener) although the farmer told us we should take them all out hehe

lets try this again.....

2013 SD turkey hunt recap.

Friday afternoon we hit the road for the small town of Pickstown along the beautiful Missouri River in South central South Dakota.

20130413_093820_zps72bb7f0b.jpg

20130413_131025_zps8c5c3722.jpg

We made our way West of the river scouting the river bluffs in pursuit of birds. We had a group of 5 guys and 2 vehicles so we split up and each vehicle went our own ways. We were met with lots of snow and very few birds but when we did see birds they were often in large groups.

We came across a group of birds on some private ground with lots of nice Toms while the landowner was outside. (see pics in previous post) They were pretty tame in the yard but we were told once they left they got pretty wild. He said we could hunt there but only after a group of youth hunters were done Saturday. So we kept this as an option and continued scouting which was pretty un-eventful.

Saturday morning our group of 5 split up again. We got up early and made a good effort to be out before sun up on some public ground. Temp was about 25degrees with zero wind which was going to make it hard to get a stalk done. In addition with the all the snow on the ground we were met with another very obvious disadvantage. The top layer of snow had melted only to refreeze which made a very loud crunching noise with each and every step. Any bird out there could hear us a mile away. We still set out despite the unpleasant conditions and started to hear lots of gobbling. The sun was starting to rise so we set up in what we guessed was 100 yards from some gobble activity. We then hunkered down and waited for more daylight and called some. The birds were vocal and were responding to our calls so we hoped to call them in. We thought we heard them get down off the roost but didn’t sound like any made their way towards us. We waited it out a bit longer and the birds just stopped talking.

We set out back for the truck and on the way spotted some birds together. It was a handful of hens and 2 small jakes. We were able to get close enough but I opted to pass on taking one in hopes of shooting a nicer bird. One of the guys in our group did shoot one of the young Jakes though so we were on the board.

20130413_093829_zps9c3dd67b.jpg

We then set out for some spot and stalks and climbed to the tops of some ridges hoping to spot some other birds and that the sun would melt the top layer of snow enough so that we could walk through it quietly. We couldn’t find anything close but with the snow they were easy to spot even if they were several ridges over. They seemed to be focusing on the sunny side of these ridges out in the open.The sun finally melted the snow which made it nice for following tracks

20130413_125850_zps9e670073.jpg

It was about this time that it got cloudy and the wind picked up and we no longer could hear or see birds. We continued to hike up and down and sit in areas with no luck or even a gobble. We did this until about 6pm and decided to hit the road and do some more scouting.

20130413_131039_zps36178717.jpg

We found a couple areas that looked good for Sundays hunt but we opted to head back to the private land we saw the birds at on Friday. As we neared the property we found a flock of about 30 birds leaving the feed trough in the cattle yard heading down into a large open pasture. We inquired how the youth hunters did and were told they shot 3 birds. We asked for permission again and planned out our stalk. Even though the birds were downhill and out of site our plan was to use the fence and cows to conceal us from any stragglers and then set up on some hay bales directly uphill from the birds. Once we got to our spot to shoot the birds had already made some good ground away from us. We pulled out the range finder and they were at 357 yards with a strong crosswind. Although we were armed with rifles we opted to not fire for several reasons. We left and did some more scouting and more walking and called it a day.

Our 2 groups met back up for dinner and we discovered the 2 other guys were able to get their 4 tags filled. They had set up a blind on some public ground and they were able to see several turkeys throughout the day. They couldn’t leave the blind setup overnight but told us where they had set it up. We decided that another guy and I (who both coincidently had never bagged a turkey before) would set up the blind and sit there in the morning.

2013 SD turkey hunt recap day 2

We got up extra early to insure we could get to that public spot before anyone else and set up the blind. We got settled around 6:15am and there we sat. The weather was downright awful so thankfully we were in a blind. It was a very cold, windy with a steady rain that at times was a heavy downpour. To make it worse there was lots and lots of heavy fog we couldn’t see more than 30-40yards at times.

We did some calling even though we didn’t hear any birds gobbling. So we roughed it out and just sat and sat hoping the weather would clear and warm up enough to get the fog to move out. It made for some long waiting and I am very impatient as a rookie turkey hunter but I knew we should stay in blind after the other guys had success there the day before.

20130414_122852_zps1445121a.jpg

Around 10 it finally stopped raining but the fog was still heavy. The blind was setup in a small opening just on the top of a big ravine. I knew the birds wouldn’t want to sit in the woods and they eventually would come out to feed and probably dry out. We said if the fog lifted and we didn’t see or hear any action by 11am we would move. 11am came and we headed back to the truck to warm up and get something to eat. We did some driving as the fog started to lift and we started to see birds everywhere!

We got back out and set up in similar areas where we were seeing birds. We found a great spot to sit while the 3rd guy set up about 200 yards away. It wasn’t more than a few minutes and we had jake come by us in shotgun range and I let the other guy shoot and we had our first bird of the day (his first turkey ever). It wasn’t more than 15 minutes and we had a flock of Jakes and hens come through. We both whispered what bird we were going to shoot and fired a shot each and we managed a double on 2 jakes (one being my first bird ever)!

No time to celebrate we grabbed our birds and set up in another spot that looked good. It wasn’t long and we spotted another jake a ways out so we tried to sneak up on it. We got close enough for a position to offer me a shot. He spotted us first but I got him on the run and with one shot my 2nd bird was down.

It wasn’t much longer and we heard some shooting off in the distance and come to find it was the 3rd guy in our group who also got his last bird which was another young jake.

*Disclaimer* So I know this is a team contest and I by any means did not shoot a trophy bird or a bird worth shooting IMHO. However I have been at this turkey hunting game for 4 years now and yet to bag a bird and it was time for me to stop eating turkey tag soup. If I didn’t bring a bird home I don’t think my wife would let me go back out again lol. I have always wanted my first bird to be a nice tom with a long beard etc, but I guess it wasn’t in the cards.

My 1 bird was just under 10lbs and no beard and 2 small bumps you could hardly call spurs. My other bird was 11.4lbs and was pretty much the same for beard and spurs. It doesnt score us much for points but the good news is I may opt to grab an over the counter tag and hunt in the black hills yet this spring.

Here is our group shot of our birds I am furthest on the left:20130414_161424_zps8886fbfb.jpg

Have to say I am impressed with both my shooting and my choke pattern smile

20130414_115522_zps46f14e7d.jpg

I will wait until end of contest to submit my score, worse case scenario I contribute 11 measesly points, or I go out west and shoot a trophy.

Sorry for the dissapointment but I may improve my score. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Congrats, my first bird was a jake as well. No need for disappointment, any bird is a trophy IMO.

Got permission for my usual turkey hunting land but the owner said he hasn't seen or heard anything but yesterday I went for a drive around the area and seen 2 hens on the land next to where I'll be hunting so that's a start but with the weather starting to improve by this weekend I expect things to change... 12 more days for me!

Congrats on your 1st bird. Your group hunted under some tough condition so my hats off to you. Thanks for the details of your hunt,now we can all dream about our up coming hunts. Good Luck to All. DrJ.........

Points are points rundrave!!!

More importanly, CONGRATS on your 1st turkey!!!

Nice pics and I was wondering if you guys got all Merriams because it looked like a bird or two on the right of the harvest picture had darker tail feathers like eastern birds.

A great hunt in some tough conditions, GREAT JOB!!!

Brian

First on the board should count for somthing. smile

You might as well as get it entered since your first bird is it.

It does not look like you wasted any meat looking at the picture.

It looks like you gave him a nice haircut. grin

I am curious- you mentioned no beard on the Jake. Is South Dakota different than Minnesota when it comes to the "visible beard" requirement?

DonBo would probobly be grilling up some of those bacon wrapped turkey cubes with those tastey Jakes. smile

I am curious- you mentioned no beard on the Jake. Is South Dakota different than Minnesota when it comes to the "visible beard" requirement?

I had 2 tags to fill, they were for any bird Hen, Jake or Tom. So by definition I could shoot any dark turkey that bears the characteristics of a Merriam’s, Rio Grande or Eastern turkey.

My "source" gets home from Hawaii today, if I was him I'd be staying there another month or so! grin

I'll start getting reports from him next week. Just have to get my wife out to shoot the shotgun a little bit and keep flinging a few arrows here and there till it's time to hunt.

Dusted off the snowshoes the other day, but hopefully we won't need them. eek

Good luck this weekend Scoot!!

Come on Illini Walli, the suspense is killing us! LOL

Brian

well, guys ....... still a big 0. cry

just got back from hunting through another downpour. its been a tough four days with cool temps, wind and rain.

lots of gobbling on the roost but very little gobbling once they hit the ground. its go time and hens everywhere.

got a tom to work each of the first three days and each day had one almost in shooting range before the "real hens" pulled him away. waited for the t-storms to subside today before heading out about 9. didnt go 100 yards until i struck a gobble. i knew where he was in a pasture but i couldnt move into the best position because i couldnt get across a small creek that was flash flooding after last nights 6 inches of rain.

got as close as i could anyway, called a couple times, he gobbled and there he was strutting about 75 yards away. he came a little closer and if he kept coming i was gonna shoot and worry about wading the swolen creek later but he stopped where there was a big lake in a low area.

i was hoping he would come around the water, but he stayed put, strutted and gobbled some more before heading back up the hill. i maneuvered closer, called again and two toms cut loose, but they werent about to cross the "lake" and eventually lost interest.

then about a half hour later, despite the "clear" forecast, the rain cut loose again and i got soaked to the bone through my "waterproof" rain gear slogging back to the wheeler.

got one more shot tomorrow on my first season tag and i have two more tags and seasons left after that.

so i feel pretty confident a tom is going down for the commanders grin

so ... any updates from the tom commanders?

sorry to say i struck out on first season.

had a tom within 75 yards each of the first five days but couldnt pull one away from the hens and into range.

didnt hear a single gobble friday. saw two strutters on the roost, they dropped down on the ridge and were joined by seven or eight hens. one tom dropped into strut for an instant but no breeding activity at all on the windy, chilly morning. i called them down the hill a ways and they hung around for half an hour with several hens getting close, but the toms stayed out of range before they eventually headed for a field. i circled to the other end of the field, but they were gone.

went to another woods, called a couple times and here comes a flock of 20 off the ridge, including seven longbeards. called softly, they all strutted but no gobbles. pulled a tom within 60 yards, but the hens - followed by the beards - drifted away onto an off-limits property.

back at em again starting friday ....

Wednesday morning went to locate a roost on some public land behind my place. Found it and heard at least 2 gobbling in the tree along with a hen. Another gobbler was roosted about 1/2 mile south. Left and went and drove around for a while and came back to my place and sure enough the turkeys from the public land were up on the hill out in the field. counted 10.. 1 hen, 2 long beards, the rest jakes or toms with broken beards. They seen me after a while and ran off. Went back in took a short nap, look out the window and there was then hen, a long beard and 3 of the jakes 60 yards from the edge of my yard. The hen started wandering off and man did those guys chase after her like she was the only hen in the world.

Saturday morning, went to my usual turkey land which is private property. Got out of the truck and instantly heard a gobble and I knew right about where he was roosted. Didn't walk off the road with the crunchy snow and little wind I didn't want to get busted.

Last night, toughed out the rain and did a little scouting on the same land hoping to roost a bird but it was silent.

This morning, same spot. Walked out there early and he was roosted close to where he was Saturday morning. Waited him out hoping to catch a glimpse of him because some of the gobbles sounded "weak" making me think it was just a Jake but some of them sounded like an old gobbler. After a while it sounded to me that there may be 2 different birds down there. Heard a hen also but wasn't close to the gobbling. Scouting all this week and then its go-time come Saturday!