• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

show us your deer camp

I know this gets brought up each year, but it is always nice to see everyone's deer shacks. It doesn't matter it if a hotel, back of your truck, or an elaborate vista it is nice to share so others that may be looking can get ideas.

So here is my UP getaway, it is on 200 acres surrounded on 2 sides by County land. Powered by a generator, sleeps 6 comfortably and is toasty warm.

full-13775-25435-img_0016.jpg

full-13775-25436-img_0017.jpg

full-13775-25437-img_0020.jpg

full-13775-25438-warming.jpg

Here was our deer camp up until two seasons ago:

full-28108-25441-pb130224.jpg

As much as I like roughing it, the pup tent was a little much when it rained and snowed, and a line was crossed the night it kept collapsing on us from the heavy snow. So, last year my dad spent all summer on an old Singer sewing maching, and here is our current deer camp:

full-28108-25442-pb101721.jpg

It still gets cold at night when you are sleeping, but at least you can have a fire in the evening and morning to stay somewhat warm. It's nice sleeping right out in the woods where we can listen to the wolves, too. It's about 24' tall and could sleep 5 or 6 comfortably, although I limit group size to no more than 3 at any one time, by invite only. Only a couple more weeks!

full-28108-25443-026.jpg

Perch, you're making me jealous! Both places look awesome. Wiser's Teepee looks interesting also. The smoke must go right out the top? Is that something you leave up all year? I bet there's no cell signal at either place either. That's what dreams are made of right there.

Perch, you're making me jealous! Both places look awesome. Wiser's Teepee looks interesting also. The smoke must go right out the top? Is that something you leave up all year? I bet there's no cell signal at either place either. That's what dreams are made of right there.

We don't leave it up all year. It's on public land so we just go in a day early to set it up. It probably takes about an hour to put it up. If you notice the outside skin only goes down to within about 8" of the ground. The inside liner, which goes up about 6' comes all the way down to the ground. This creates an air space the width of the poles (about 3"). When you get a good, hot fire inside, it creates a draft through this air space and shoots the smoke right out the top. The two flaps on the top on the outside can be rotated so they face downwind which also helps keep the smoke going straight up. You do need good, dry wood split fairly small to get a hot fire without much smoke. It really isn't too bad, although after 9 days straight you do kind of stink a bit. As I mentioned it's nice for eating supper, but it's not practical to keep a fire going all night, so when the temp drops down to the single digits at night, it's single digits in the teepee, too. Definitely an upgrade to the pup tent, though! You are right, no cell phone coverage, which is going to hamper my wolf hunt this year. It's a 2 mile canoe paddle, and 3/4 mile hike to the truck, and then about 20 minute drive to cell phone coverage. Will make it tough to check the quota. You are right about dreams being made up there, I dream about it every day at work!

This is going to be a very cool thread! I just wish I didn't have all my hunting shack pics on film instead of digg! frown

Our's was an old log skinning shack turned into a hunting shack with bunks to sleep up to 6 but we did squeeze in nine once!

One light bulb, wood stove, outhouse! Never had so much fun with so little! wink

I kind of wish our group had something more rustic. Lately we've just been going up to a cabin that is owned by my friends parents. Cabin is also a loose term, its basically a suburban style house on a lake in northern MN. Its very comfortable but it doesn't have that deer camp feel.

I kind of wish our group had something more rustic. Lately we've just been going up to a cabin that is owned by my friends parents. Cabin is also a loose term, its basically a suburban style house on a lake in northern MN. Its very comfortable but it doesn't have that deer camp feel.

That's how it is where I hunt in Wisconsin. Best part about having a rustic place is you're forced to hang with the guys, in WI we have satellite tv, a sauna, wireless internet, some of the guys go and do their own thing. Not as great of a bonding experience. Plus way more chores/upkeep with the "lake house" instead of the shack where you basically just have to cut the grass.

On our 80 we have for years talked about putting up a shack or deer hunting, but havent because we'd also be suppling the local youth with a party cabin. so we just make do an someone brings a camper an I'm ten minuets form deer wods. but it sure would be fun.

I thought that was going to be the case also Boar. I have never locked my door, I feel if they want to get it I would rather have them not break the door, I just dont keep anything of value in there if they want some pots and pans take'em. In my 7 years of owing this property I have never had an issue and it is accessible within a 10 minute drive from town.

I'd have to show a picture of my house & garage, as that's where I hunt out of. The farthest spot I regularly hunt is about 23 miles, so we don't go anywhere. Nice having a shower & own bed, plus tv for football, nicer if wife & kids go away for part of the weekend...

Hey lungdeflator, what did you use to chink the gaps between the logs in the shack you posted a pic of? Whoever built mine used cement, which was a very poor choice; every time I pound a nail in the wall I hear about 5 pounds of it fall out.

Crow Hunter

Not a 100% sure what was used on that cabin, they built it long before I was born, but it is some kind of harder material. The one we built in 2008 we stuffed backer rod in between the logs to fill cracks/holes and then chinked with Log Jam, which is in a tube and applied just like caulk. If I remember right, its not cheap, but is a good product that provides some stretch and holds really well.