• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 weeks away, gonna take my first with a bow

crazyfishinut

With roughly 2 weeks away until opener, I can hardly wait. This will be my first season with a bow and Im going kill something. New bow in the spring, practicing all summer, wife gonna kill me for spending way to much money on gear, I better kill something! I dont care if it has spots smirk

Good luck crazyfishinut! Don't be too dissapointed if you don't score, I have a couple of friend who were experienced hunters but in 5 years neither of them have been able to bag a deer with the bow. Not saying that will happen to you but sometimes things don't alwasy work out and its easy to make a lot of mistakes, I know I made my fair share when I started bow hunting.

Good luck crazyfishinut! Don't be too dissapointed if you don't score, I have a couple of friend who were experienced hunters but in 5 years neither of them have been able to bag a deer with the bow. Not saying that will happen to you but sometimes things don't alwasy work out and its easy to make a lot of mistakes, I know I made my fair share when I started bow hunting.

Bear that kinda scares me. 5 years without a deer! Were they spending a lot of time in stand? Can you share what kind of mistakes they were making?

I have 16 full days calendared in for sitting in stand this fall (and working on more). I have 5 well defined deer trails that I plan to hunt between those days. I am not counting on taking a deer but I sure am counting on getting to draw back on one this year. I couldn't describe how disappointed I would be if after all the scouting, prep and stand time I didn't get a deer for 5 years!

Please tell me your friends had opportunities but were waiting for that 170 monster...

I think its pretty amazing how many gun hunters take up archery and suddenly go through a dry streak. I think too many gun hunters don't know the importance of scent control and movement to the extent that bowhunting requires.

I've actually surpassed my gun kills 3 to 1 since I started bowhunting. I took bowhunting with an open mind and studied everything I could about practicing shots, stand placement and wind and scent management. After that its all about drawing without being busted.

That's alot to consider when you consider yourself an accomplished deer hunter, but the bow is a whole new game compared to firearms hunting. You'll fall to pieces the first time that doe walks in at less than 20 yds.

If I can give some advice I'd say don't put too much pressure on yourself, and don't overhunt a stand site. Better to sit the night out (well, better yet to go elsewhere) than to hunt the wrong wind.

I didn't have any luck my first year with the bow, but then proceeded to kill 3 the next year, 2 after that, etc. You'll learn a lot. Make sure you bring your camera in the field - you'll see a lot of critters you never otherwise see.

Finally, kill the first deer that walks by - don't try to outsmart yourself until you've taken a few.

This will be my second season and I couldn't agree more with Powerstroke. I learned so much last year watching deer and how they interact up close... and how well they can pick up on things. And like most said, once you shoot one with a bow you will never go back! I passed on many does and small bucks last year, then I eventually took a doe at 18yds just to "get one under my belt" and man what a rush. Good luck

I learned so much last year watching deer and how they interact up close... and how well they can pick up on things. And like most said, once you shoot one with a bow you will never go back!

This is the same for me. I used to rifle hunt in northern MN since the age of 15. The last year I hunted with a rifle, I bagged three deer on opening day, out of the same stand, before noon. The first was a non typical 9pt, second was a basket rack 8pt, and third was a doe.

That is when I decided to start Bow Hunting. It is more of a challenge to arrow a deer. Man do I love Bow Hunting. Addicted for life. I have been unable to get a deer every year, but don't mind it one bit. Makes it more exciting when I do get the opportunity to get one. Time and lots of patience is key.

I think bow hunting is just another step in my deer hunting career. My first couple of deer were shot in the south (kentucky) with a rifle with the closest being about 75 yrds. I moved to MN and the first deer I shot with a shotgun was able 5 yrds. Last 4 years Ive got a deer with the farest being about 30 yrds. I think I can get close enough, the question is will I be able to draw without getting busted!

Bear that kinda scares me. 5 years without a deer! Were they spending a lot of time in stand? Can you share what kind of mistakes they were making?

I have 16 full days calendared in for sitting in stand this fall (and working on more). I have 5 well defined deer trails that I plan to hunt between those days. I am not counting on taking a deer but I sure am counting on getting to draw back on one this year. I couldn't describe how disappointed I would be if after all the scouting, prep and stand time I didn't get a deer for 5 years!

Please tell me your friends had opportunities but were waiting for that 170 monster...

I'm not sure if they spent 16 full days bowhunting but I know they put in their time, one of them passed up on a button buck in close but other than that they tend to get busted either on the draw or before the deer get within range. Those old does can make a bow hunter look pretty silly from time to time.

Like Powerstroke said watch the wind and your scent, and the most important thing to know is when to move and draw when deer are in close. Never make any sudden movements, try and be as slow and smooth as possible. Try and draw when the deer is looking away or is behind a tree or cover. You might have to hold at full draw for several minutes (seems like hours) before you can get a shot. Sometimes you might be at full draw and have to back down without spooking the deer. Also remember every situation is different, if a deer is moving fast you might have to draw and yell at them to get them to stop. I usually don't yell at them but make a baaaa sound that is a little less threatening. I learned these things the hard way but when you make mistakes you gain a lot of experience, learn from those mistakes and try not to make them again.

I know its never easy to find that perfect spot but stand placement can really help from getting busted, not just from scent/wind, but giving you enough cover to pick spots to draw and/or getting close enough to the main deer trails so you are not in their line of sight when they approach. I picked a spot that gave me good background cover but also there are small openings in the brush I can see through when the deer are coming in. Then before they step out into my shooting lane they cross behind a small pine tree (or other cover), this gives me a chance to draw. Also while sitting in the stand look at all the possible lanes or directions the deer could come in and then pick spots where you will draw at. This will build confidence when that deer finally shows up. Like I said, not perfect and the deer some how find ways to mess up a plan but it does help to have a plan and be prepared.

powerstroke,

your not sounding discouraging just being honest and upfront which i think is good for people just getting into bowhunting to know. that way when something goes wrong or find out how difficult it can be to close the deal they realize it happens to everyone and not just them.

Just remember any animal with a bow is a trophy. Shooting a doe with my bow is more exciting for me than shooting a buck with a slug gun. yes it may take longer and be alot more work but in the end its worth it. Plus if your like most guys on here the best part of being a hunter is getting to experience the great outdoors, and i think sometimes bowhunters appreciate it more. because they are closer and more intuned with their surrondings. So if you dont shoot something the first weekend or the first season just take in all the other experience you gained.