• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I charge my laptop in my truck???

I was wondering if there is a way I can use the cig. lighter for a power source to my laptop computer. Would be nice for the Canada drive this fall. I have a Dell XPS laptop. Does Dell sell anything or can I pick something up from a local store?

Browning-

Just run into any electronics store and ask for a "dc to ac power inverter". Tell them what you want to do and they will guide you as to what you need. I know BestBuy has them in Kato. I got mine there. I have a 225 watt inverter..works good.

You could go to the Dell HSOforum and search for a 12V cord for your specific laptop that'll plug right into your lighter socket.

The other option was already mentioned where you just buy a 12V/120VAC inverter that plugs into the lighter socket and then you plug in the regular charger you use at home.

Something like this:

9355707_ra.jpg

9355752_ra.jpg

Browning-

Just run into any electronics store and ask for a "dc to ac power inverter". Tell them what you want to do and they will guide you as to what you need. I know BestBuy has them in Kato. I got mine there. I have a 225 watt inverter..works good.

probably be cheaper too, plus it will have more uses than the dc cable for the laptop

Make sure you buy one with a high enough wattage. I've had issues in the past with the laptop not working because the inverter was too small.

Most of these have guidelines on the packaging to suggest the best uses.

Aside from the laptop, these inverter come in very handy for other uses. I "plug in" all kinds of different sorts of things in my boat.

I have 400 watt inverter setup in the RV to run the TV DVD on. We go a lot of places with out hookups and don't want to run the generator all the time. I like to watch the news or something while I have my 1st cup o coffee.

You may have a USB style charging port on the laptop, if so, a realitively cheap 12 V plug in with a USB charger cord that is designed for that laptop can be had at Wally World for a few bucks.

But I agree with the guys that a portable converter may have more cross use down the line. More watts available to run Vex chargers or other systems one may need in the field.

I have a handy little 140W inverter sort of like the one pictured earlier with the pivoting plug-in, except mine doesn't pivot.

It works great, but it seems more and more that it doesn't fit in the space provided to plug it in. So, I'd recommend that what ever you get has a cord, not the all-in-one housing style.

I've used the cheapy $20 dollar inverters for just charging the battery and I have a more expensive 200 watt that works for using the Laptop in the vehicle and that one will suposedly protect it better from surges and what not but the cheapy does charge the Laptop.

As mentioned above, be sure to get an inverter big enough. A typical laptop will need somewhere between 200 and 300 watts to operate correctly. If you size it too small, it will overheat and lots of bad things can happen.

I certainly don't know all laptops, but mine seems to run fine off my 140W inverter.

I don't necessarily disagree with bigger is better but, for me, portability is a key aspect. One has to evaluate if they want or need something that can be easily carried in the laptop case, or something the size and somewhat less weight than a brick.

One bit of advice: Do NOT go to Lambeau Field with two gallon size bags of breaded cheesecurds and try to run a deep fryer off of a normal power inverter. I found out the hard way that not reading the capacity labels will increase the likelihood of blowing the fuse.

Then again, if you're lucky like me then there is a cheese shop next to the stadium that just finished deep frying a turkey and willing to deep fry someone else's curds!

Ok one last question....might be a dumb one but just dont want to ruin anything. Can I run my computer with the invertor or will that draw too much power. Or is the invertor only to charge it. I am mostly going to use it for a DVD player or check weather reports. Anyways sorry for the dumb question.

I just look at my power supply and it is rated to draw 65 watts. If yours is similar you should be fine. I run a 22 inch lcd tv and a dvd player with 400 watt inverter with no problems. It is all about how much power the device draws.

Oh we had the grill, the keg, the fire pit, but just not the deep fryer...but we got our curds!

Browning - you absolutely can run your laptop, DVD player, or most other common device off of a standard power inverter. You can charge batteries, run stuff (like a DVD player), basically using the outlet just as you would an outlet in the wall of your house. As has been stated, there are several options in terms of the total watts. A 400 watt inverter will power a lot of stuff and often has multiple outlets. Although a deep fryer requires about 1200 watts!

As far as size, I was just saying that it is very possible to buy one that is too small. I had a small compact 90w inverter and it wouldn't power up my laptop and that is specifically what I bought it for.