• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tikka Owners question

paul pachowicz

I've got an opportunity to pick up a Tikka with a Leupold 3 X 9 in .308 along with several boxes of ammo. What can you guys tell me about em? I'm not too sure about the base mounting system or the rings. I've always been a fan of Leupold style one piece base and dovetail rings in "low" mount. How are the triggers and are they adjustable. I've not yet seen or handled the gun. The guy is an ole bud of mine that lives out of state. He picked up two Tikka's for some ridiculous price during a divorce sale but, already has a .308 and is in no hurry to sell it but, I've got the right of 1st refusal.

Hey Paul,

I have a Tikka in .270 and have sold dozens of them (I work firearms retail). The scope mounting system works fine but if you suspect it the receiver is drilled and tapped for standard scope bases.

Trust me when I say you won't have any complaints about the trigger. It is adjustable from 2-4 pounds. You won't have any complaints at all, for that matter. They are universally good guns and shoot lights out.

thanks fellas, I closed the deal. I'll get a set of dies for it and reload. I've always been intriged by the caliber and looking forward to workin up a load which is something that I haven't done in decades and get myself caught up on current powder loads. I like the 150 grain but, might look at a lighter bullet. Matter of fact the last new gun I got was in 1983 other then a 10-22. Again, thanks for re-confirming my initial thoughts.

You wont be sorry. I have one in .270 and it shoots lights out and is very smooth. I have a Leupold 3x9 as well. They are made by Sako which is owned by beretta. Sako makes the best rifles money can buy period IMHO. The only drawback to the tikka in .308 is the longer bolt throw as it is a long caliber gun (30-06, .270, .300 win mag etc...) that is chambered in the shorter calibers. If you don't mind that which some guys don't it is awesome. You will be very happy with it. It most likely will be the most accurate gun you now own. Congrats and I hope you enjoy!!

Sako/Tikka is just a typical example of Finnish engineering and dedication to quality. Another company based in Finland is called Rapala. I hear a few guys use their products for fishing.

lakevet

P.S. Finland was invaded by the Soviet Union and survived as an independent and free country without any significant outside help . Having Russia as your next door neighbor can make you focus intently on making highly accurate and very reliable weapons. It is also a reason they encourage foreign ownership of their companies (like Beretta buying Sako). If Russia tries something again, Finns hope that they will be backed up better than last time by the rest of the world because of foreign business interests wanting protection of their assets.

A couple years ago Tikka had a major issue with exploding barrels. This is not widely known if you do a search online you can find some recall info that will list the serial numbers that area in question. I owned one in 30-06 and it was a great shooter, but when I heard how they handled the recall I sold it to a gun shop and traded for a Kimber Montana. I would check the serial numbers prior to purchase. The photos I've seen with the catastrophic barrel failure is nothing to sneeze at.

Nice to hear all the positives about the Tikka T3s. I just looked at one in .243 for our youngest. Plus I'd like to use it for those prairie whitetails.

The .300 Win Mag took a severe dump in the reliability department this year as I developed the "Magnum flinch" and couldn't seem to get over it on the trip. Very disappointing.

I have been looking for a bolt action rifle for years. I would have preferred to buy American but none of the American manufactures had what I was looking. I have had my eye on the T3 for some time and just couldn't take it anymore I purchased a Lite Hunter in 300 WSM. I love it. It shoulders like a dream and it only weighs 6 3/8 lbs. Like everyone else said the trigger is smooth and the gun balances great. It also shoots tight groups at 100 yds. The 300 WSM just about to much for whitetail but just enough for black bear and elk.