• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Announces 2009 Limits and Seasons

I have heard frin a couple CO's that the reason of the 9 a.m. start on opener is that there are so many people out there that it would be dangerous for people to shoot when it is not completely light out. This way at 9 you can see where people are and its safer.

If this is truely the reason I am all for it. A few more ducks is not worth anyone getting hurt.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have told him that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and asked him why is it safe the other 59 days of the season then. It ranks up there with not selling cars on Sundays. If you don't know where people are you don't point a gun there!

You have to remember there are a lot of people that go out on opener that really aren't waterfowl hunters like most of us. They don't all have the safety concerns they should. There is way to many people out on opener than most areas can handle safely. I have been pelted with pellets on more than one occassion.

a few years ago the DNR had a forum and someone asked about the shooting time of noon on opening day. Someone from the DNR said it was the result of a couple drownings that happened in 1916 or 1918(can;t remember the exact date) on Herron lake in SW MN

Apparently there was a fight over spots and some boats flipped and people drowned. Back then of course there where no Q-beam's etc just lanterns to help find people so they decided to let us find our spots in the daylight on opening day. IMHO opinion it is a stupid law its just as dark on Sun of opening weekend etc. They also explained why shotgun zones for deer but that is another story.

Mwal

serioulsy why do you need 6 ducks? even teal.. 2 will fill me.. i would think 3 a day and 6 in possesion would be enough.. and restrict some areas that hold alot of birds theres a slough thats a little ways past my house that no one can hunt that hosts rougly 3000 to 4000 geese everyfall and countless ducks.. and thats the only area where you really see lots of breeding birds...

Seriously. Seriously why do I need six ducks?

1.Six is more fun than three.

2.Some people share their ducks with family and friends.

3.They taste pretty good.

4.Limiting out on the first flock is no fun.

5.Hunting more than ten minutes is fun.

6.I need to rest after setting up all those decoys.

7.I like to drink coffee after sunrise.

8.How about having a few ducks in the freezer for the off season.

9.Two little ducks don't fill me up.

10.Six is more fun than three.

hey guys im all for the 9am opener because it is a lot better then noon. Growing up my dad always told me that it could be helpful to have the later opener because people may travel to un familiar hunting areas or are not hard core or safe hunter likes the guys who are out hunting later in the season.

I'm happy the DNR set the wood duck limit at two. I have about 35 wood duck houses out and I'm lucky to get half of them filled with hens - we're shooting too many!!! The easiest and dumbest duck around is the wood duck, how many times have you had them come and land in your decoys before shooting light?

I also like the 9 AM opener, LOTS better than noon!!!

I believe I took the DNR survey some time ago and I voted to 2 Wood Ducks.

I have noticed a HUGE decline in wood ducks on my watershed, and the whole area I reside the past few years. About 5 years ago, I would see my pond loaded with Teal and Woodies, and in the evenings they would get up and stretch their wings for an evening flight. It was cool to watch upwards of 50 ducks fly around.

Now, I'm lucky to have one successful nest in several wood ducks houses. Woodies and Teal are nowhere, only a few mallards I've spotted this year. Mallard tubes don't get used.

Pretty sad for a nice, large wild rice pond.

Side note: I have roamed western MN and I have been impressed with duck numbers!

Yes sir, I'm from sw minnesota and there are plenty of woodies on the land i hunt. Opening day i saw upwards of 300 woodies that i spooked up. Our Limit was quickly achieved with minimal effort. Next day I left the woodies alone and the 4 of us limited on mallards and teal just a few miles away from where the wood ducks were.

I would think that most everyone is supportive of the DNR's idea to take hunter surveys to find out what we want. Regardless of the science of it, or of personal opinion, WE voted for the 2 wood duck limit...Quite decisively as well.

I would think that most everyone is supportive of the DNR's idea to take hunter surveys to find out what we want. Regardless of the science of it, or of personal opinion, WE voted for the 2 wood duck limit...Quite decisively as well.

I am supportive of the DNR taking hunter surveys but that survey did not require you to be a hunter or probably not even from MN. A person could also take it multiple times.

Did they ever publish the results? I only heard it was about 60/40.

I hunted several days last season not harvesting any wood ducks. I hunt in southern Minnesota where we have had good numbers of woodies in the past. However in the past two years i have seen a decline in the population during the hunting season. I believe it is due to the amount of water that we haven't had. I would be fine with a three woodduck limit, but they should have it similar to the mallard rule where you may only take one hen.

Minnesota once again opted for only 2 wood ducks. According to the DNR, an overwhelming majority of survey takers on the DNR HSOforum said they would like to keep the wood duck limit at 2 or EVEN DROP IT TO ONE. Can we get an informal poll going in here to see what everyone here chose? We will be the only state in the Mississippi flyway who once again take only a 2 wood duck limit.

I don't understand what the big riff is about the 2 woodduck limit? confused IMHO they are great ducks and Minnesota does produce a lot of them but I feel they are more of a trophy duck them most and I would rather shoot mallards or bills for eating..again IMHO

Duck opener is October 3rd!

I disagree. I think the woodduck numbers were up. I hunt in SC Mn on lakes near the rivers. On years where the woodducks are low we have a terrible opener. Last year we had a very healthy population and I believe I harvested my last wooduck aroun holloween. Great ducks, great tasting, great shooting, the only thing they arent is great at listening to a call