• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FLW

ikeslayer

look at this nixon caught 2 bass for 10 ounces - i didn't know it was possible to catch 2 bass over 12 inches that weighed that little

1. Rusty Salweske -- Alpine, CA -- 5, 6-06

2. David Curtis -- Trinity, TX -- 5, 5-07

3. Cody Meyer -- Redding, CA -- 5, 5-00

4. Michael Iaconelli -- Runnemede, NJ -- 4, 4-12

5. Scott Suggs -- Bryant, AR -- 3, 4-06

6. Greg Hackney -- Gonzales, LA -- 4, 4-03

7. Dave Lefebre -- Union City, PA -- 1, 3-15

8. David Walker -- Sevierville, TN -- 1, 0-13

9. Bryan Thrift -- Shelby, NC -- 1, 0-12

10. Larry Nixon -- Bee Branch, AR -- 2, 0-10

I think it makes for pretty good drama. They go to a lake like Amistad and while the action is a lot better, the strategy doesn't come into play as much I don't think. Nowhere else does every bite mean so much.

As someone who has lived in Pittsburgh his entire life i can say that the weights are embarrassing. But.... Ive been fishing these 3 rivers for 30 years now and i can promise you there are much bigger bass in there. But the FLW, and Bassmasters before it a few years ago, have both come at the worst time to fish our rivers. July and August are so poor that i dont even fish those 2 months anymore. The rivers arent so great for largies but they can be excellent for smallmouths in may/june then again in sept/october. I really hope if either should return they come in one of those months. Having said all that i cant understand why the pros wont fish the shoreline rocks and boulders at the locks and dams. Id say 95 percent of my big smallies have come from those areas, at all differnet times of the year. But hey those guys have forgotten more than i know. Oh well ill be up at the end of august for some real bass fishin. Cant wait.

I think it makes for pretty good drama. They go to a lake like Amistad and while the action is a lot better, the strategy doesn't come into play as much I don't think. Nowhere else does every bite mean so much.

Drama for pounders? Lots of contests on the circuits where a bite means a lot. Bites at this contest meant a 12"er. Yippee!

Yeah but a keeper can be rare. If you are more than likely to not have a limit, each bite means that much more. You lose a 5 pounder on Amistad and there are plenty more you can get. You lose a 12" there and you might not get another shot at one. I don't think the entertainment level is as high, but the drama certainly is.

Yeah, they should all head up to Le Homme Dieu! OR NOT! Although Olski did seem to find a 4.6 pound toad!
Ya had it not been for your little fender bender and me splitting Chuck's head open with a tungsten weight on a hookset it would have been a real sleeper. Oh ya and I guess I did have one lucky cast.

Sounds like it was more than just a lucky cast olski, and sorry for the typo, it was a 4.7 pound toad! (Don't feel bad about the sinker thing, at least you didn't drill him in the back of the head with a football jig like I maybe did to Nate on Tonka...)

Figured I might as well weigh in my opinion (bad pun intended). I would much rather see the big boys battling it out with big bags and maybe a 12 # edging out a bag with an 11. I think that is much more exciting and better than watching a guy strategize over catching 5 12" fish...I did hear that had Olski not foul hook charlie that said Charles was going in the bag grin.

I bet Greg Hackney didn't care if he was catching 1 lb. fish or 4 lb. fish. Just as long as he came out on top at the end. I personally don't care if there whacking big fish or not, I think you learn from every tournament what worked and what didn't and why. No matter how tough it is in every tournament somebody always finds them.

Not sure anyone would mind winning half a million bucks. Probably evident that two guys known for shallow water shakey finesse fishing were on top. Question is how many fish did they catch each day? Every tourny has someone who wins, but to each his own, maybe I am just burned out after being on Le Homme for two events where you get a ton of small fish, which I am not sure was the case in Pitt. Ike may have had a slight advantage having practiced there more than the rest of the field along with having fished the Classic. Havent read much about technique yet, but I am sure 12" swimbaits wont be mentioned..

Although catching big bags is exciting for both angler and fans, I find it interesting to watch the pros struggle for a limit of keepers. We have all had those days when it was tough. There is something to be learned by watching the best in the world do whatever it takes to get bit. Even if the bass are 12" keepers. It is a part of tournament fishing that sometimes separates the good from the great.

I agree superduty...it's nice to see them struggle a little. It's kind of like the winning score in golf being +4 instead of -20. It's not something you want to see often but there's nothing wrong with it every now and then.