• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Record Dogfish?

Tippman

"Furthermore it is illegal to release a bowfin after catching it because they are so detramental to lakes"

Are you kidding me? Where's your facts or research? Sounds like another wife's tale, that I've heard time and time again. If they are so detramental to a lake why are they a native species? How come every lake I fish that has bowfin in it I have caught trophy sized fish in it??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fishing Lake Of The Woods a few years back and the game warden was expalining the reason it is illegal to throw eelpout on the ice and leave them there. It's wanton waste if when we leave the house for good. You are to pick the pout up and throw them in the garbage.

Then he explains that we should put the pout back in the lake because taking a few pout out of the lake will not put a dent in there population and that they are part of the lakes ecosystem thats been that way for many years.

So throwing back dogfish in the lake is better than dead and rotting on the shore so your dog can roll in it! smile

"Furthermore it is illegal to release a bowfin after catching it because they are so detrimental to lakes"

You need to read up on Dogfish a bit more bud. As others have already said, they are native and are part of an ecosystem that has been effectively in place for centuries. Wanton waste is a bad idea because rotting fish release ammonia into the soil which leaks into the water, encouraging bacterial growth and algae into our beloved lakes, streams and rivers.

Bowfin, just like pike and bass are predators...they are just as important of a link in keeping stunted panfish in check. Plus they put up a darn good fight!

By the way, 17 pounds would destroy the state record (11 lbs 4 oz). I believe the world record is about 21.5 pounds, out of alabama I think.

Quote:
dude, bowfin are skanked out. You guys always claim there so misunderstood and so native, coyotes are native and id never let one of them live,

So do you think Bowfin should be killed on sight?

No matter what you think or someone tells you, a fish is just a fish. There are no bad fish. If thing get out of wack one fish type population will explode. Take the big Head Carp, Our lakes and streams have so much nutrient in them and so much plant matter because of the nutrient over load, that no other fish are exploiting that Big Head Carp are finding a prime environment with no competition. This doesn’t make them bad, they are just taking advantage of what we are so willing to give them.

Originally Posted By: Jakesbuds
BBB if you want a copy post your email and ill send it to you. Just a regular spreadsheet on one page so it can be folded and stuck in your box...Just in case

I'll take one if you wouldent mind.

Whats your email address bud?

On another note, any updates on this story?

Alright here's the update so far. Sorry I've been busy and this lady moved departments so it's harder to keep in contact.

She said the DNR has had a hundred questions because although the fish is shaped like a dogfish the scales are more carp-like. They aparently also said that it wouldn't be possible for carp and dogfish to interbreed?? Sooo, she's waiting for the genetic testing to come back on just what exactly this fish is, weird I know. Perhaps it is a cross.

that's odd, scales????? the scales of a carp is 5x bigger than a bowfin. a 40" carp would have silver dollar size scales compared to a 40" bowfin which should be about dimes size. all they need to look at is the head. if the biologist can't even tell the diff between the two, makes me wonder how many fish goes misid'ed. i think it's rather ridiculous. even if it's partially decomp'ed, the skull bone structure is still there for easy id.