Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mascad

Amazed by how much channels fight...

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, not a big catfisherman, anyway, went out to a local lake the other night for walleyes and ended up catching catfish instead. It was my first time catching them this big, (25", 27", 28"). All I can say is what a fight!! I was using 8lb test and it took me over ten minutes to get each of them in. I didn't expect that, thought they would fight more like a walleye. I wasn't dissapointed, it was fun and I plan to go back for them Wednesday night.

PS, anyone have a clue about how much they would weigh?? Thanks

welcome to the rush of the cat mascad. becarefull this is very addicting eekcrazy

6 or 7 lbs a 12" er in my neck of the woods weighs 2 lbs.. what part of mn are you from??

thought they would fight more like a walleye waterlogged sock.

Fixed it for you. wink

Once you go cat, you don't go back.

Now just take it to the MN or Mississippi River and catch some 40 lb Flatheads and you won't ever go back to anything else.

Now just take it to the MN or Mississippi River and catch some 40 lb Flatheads and you won't ever go back to anything else.
Amen to that one brother! Haha and boy did I get a laugh out of the 'waterlogged sock' remark smile ... welcome to the catfishing family!

A 3 lb Channel will out fight a 10 lb Walleye.

Now this might be stretching it a little far but they definitely put up a stronger fight pound-4-pound...

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
A 3 lb Channel will out fight a 10 lb Walleye.

Now this might be stretching it a little far but they definitely put up a stronger fight pound-4-pound...

Oh c'mon ... we are fishermen (and women!) after all, and isn't stretching the truth what we do best? smile

I have my 2 brother in laws hooked on this cat stuff. The biggest ones they have ever caught are maybe 5 pounds, and they can not belive the fight. I can not wait to hook them into a 10-15 pounder. No flat heads here so it may be time to take them home to Mankato where the flat head is king

I have my 2 brother in laws hooked on this cat stuff. The biggest ones they have ever caught are maybe 5 pounds, and they can not belive the fight. I can not wait to hook them into a 10-15 pounder. No flat heads here so it may be time to take them home to Mankato where the flat head is king

No Flatheads in Mankato area...only in Jordan.

grin

i got a tiny channel cat the other day at orwell. i thought i had a nice smallmouth on. until it jumped. that was the very first channel cat i have ever caught that actually jumped!

Originally Posted By: Brownie77

No Flatheads in Mankato area...only in Jordan.

grin

Did they all migrate? smile

Yup no Flatheads here...I heard Madison Lake has big Flatheads.

:P

Yup no Flatheads here...I heard Madison Lake has big Flatheads.

:P

Huge! True story ... Madison is only surpassed by the big flats in Eagle Lake wink

well I wll make sure I do not even try all of my old hot spots in the new ulm- mankato area and just head to eagle lake. smile

Hey guys, not a big catfisherman, anyway, went out to a local lake the other night for walleyes and ended up catching catfish instead. It was my first time catching them this big, (25", 27", 28"). All I can say is what a fight!! I was using 8lb test and it took me over ten minutes to get each of them in. I didn't expect that, thought they would fight more like a walleye. I wasn't dissapointed, it was fun and I plan to go back for them Wednesday night.

PS, anyone have a clue about how much they would weigh?? Thanks

Can you believe that when we go to the horseshoe chain all my buddies want to fish for is walleyes?

Good the more you catch, the fewer there are to mess up my fishing. smile

You really want to see a channel fight start fishing small rivers under snags. They really make a rod buck when you try to drag them out from under that stuff.