• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tear in my beer!!!

This morning when I walked outside I found out that someone jacked my outboard (johnson 6 horse). I was so mad I could not beleave that someone would take a 66' outboard. I am still so upset over this. but all I could really do is make a police report and wait for nothing to happen. I don't understand why there are people like this out there. even though that motor was given to me and I loss no money its going to cost me money to get a different motor. but thanks for letting me vent.

My outboard was ripped off at the end of April. 35 Johnson. It was heavy as H and took 2 guys to carry.

It just never ceases to amaze me how people can just take something from someone else.

I feel for ya. It will work out in the end, but haveing a boat with no motor is worse than haveing no boat at all.

I haven't had the tragedy of having my motor stolen but I have experienced some [PoorWordUsage] though. A few years back I had my boat on a lift at the cabin. One friday afternoon, driving up I was day dreaming of all the fish I will be getting into. When I walked on the dock I noticed a major component was missing. The whole fricken lower unit. They might as well have taken the whole thing.

That just flat out sucks, sorry to hear about that. I think it's sad that we have to keep everything under lock and key these days. What's next, keeping your engine block in your truck locked down? These idiots are rediculous.

I feel for ya. I have a 65 Johhny 6HP and love the little guy.

I picked up an old 18HP johnson about a month ago. it was a 1962 model and didnt run for crud. it had water in the LU and the tiller assy was screwed up. the hose and bulb were rotten and the tank had a hole in it and the gas guage was busted. the hood and recoil were mangled and it was housepainted camo and someone else still figured they needed it more then me. I hadnt even got it in the water, just ran it a barrel to acess the situation.

so someone stole my $165 outboard that ran like crud and will need a carb rebuild and probably a set of coils, needs a 24-1 oil mix, had water in the L/U, has a loose hood, a recoil that bites your hand and needs a hose and tank....... I hope it leaves them stranded in the middle of a large lake.

at least I still have my trusty old 6 horse.....

Did you guys have your motors locked when they were stolen? I have a motor lock on mine but now I am getting nervous. Here's a strange one, I was fishing at Lake Carlos State Park last month and when I got home and went out fishing again I discovered someone took the fuse off the power line to my locater. Next trip out I noticed my livewell wasn't working, so I went to check the fuse in the panel and it had been loosened. Somebody must have needed a fuse. Thankfully they didn't take my rods or locater in the rod locker................

thankfully my boat is stored in a garage, but i do have a pad lock on my motor. hopefully something like that will never happen to me.

hopefully you can have something done or the motor will be found.

I had a motor stolen off my boat once as well. I did have a "non cutable" padlock on the motor, but aparently the "non cutable" claim doesn't include bolt cutters. It was a 9.9 horse merc and my insurance covered it so it wasn't a big deal. I lost a new one and got one that had been used for a year. I wish I had the original, but the one I have now works. I can't believe people would steal something like that.

I didnt have the lock on it since I had just picked up the motor and was still in the diagnosis stage.

I basically clamped it to the back of the boat, drove over to my friends house, ran it in a bucket for a minute and then stopped at the bar for a quick beer and it was gone.

I had a motor stolen off my boat once as well. I did have a "non cutable" padlock on the motor, but aparently the "non cutable" claim doesn't include bolt cutters.

ha most all of those locks that say that arn't. we've have the "big heavy duty" ones on some of our companey trailers that someone lost the key to. all of them with break if you just hit them straight down with a hammer. or a bolt cutter.

I still think that the locks help keep people from taking your motors. I know that they can be cut with a bolt cutter. A bolt cutter is just one more thing that they are going to have to carry around with them. I try and keep my boats in a garage. If they sit outside it's only for a day or two. If they sit outside everyday in the same place it just give people more time to plan how to steal your property.

What a cruddy deal. Sorry to hear. Some people simply lack the ability for leading productive lives where they can afford their own. I don't get too tied to material objects - but hearing these stories bugs me. I also sell leeches - and when they get sorted, you know what we do with the blood suckers? We throw them out. Why? They come, they eat, they leave. Good leeches live a very community oriented life and work to keep ponds and tanks clean.

I'm sorry you lost your motor. It's too bad some people don't have any respect for others or their property.

I really get tired of having to take everything out of my boat when traveling or camping. At home, I have motion sensors in the garage with an alarm system.

Many years ago, someone stole all my equipment while we were eating lunch in a campground. I had all my gramps things after he passed and the thieves took it all. Never recovered.

I am very carefull now, but hate to have to be so watchfull.

When I used to trap leeches, I would throw the bloodsuckers out in the grass where the crows/ravens would peck them and tear them.

Too bad we can't get the crows/ravens to keep an eye on the bad guys.

Went to start the boat this spring and noticed someone had stolen the gas tank. Don't know why they didn't take the trolling motor right next to it. Still cost me 70 bucks to replace it. Just don't know why people have to steal things.

Man, I don't know if it is this poor economy, but I am hearing more stories of crooks and thefts this year than most. I hope karmha gets those guys good... or "bad" I should say...

I guess all we can do is lock the best we can, keep an eye out for neighbors and watch for punks looking suspicious. And hope the cops come quick if we see it happening...