• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Single vs Dual console

JRedig

I'm curious for opinions on single vs dual console fiberglass boats such as the ranger 690's vs the 692's.

I see the single console being just fine 99% of the time and opening up more usable deck and storage space. Granted, that 1% of the time, i'm sure my fishing partner would wish i had a dual!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Your question is really a matter of personal preference. Me? I wouldn't have a dual console because it takes up too much space. On the other hand, some boats are getting quite wide and space is more available too but I personally would still lean toward a single console for fishing.

If my boat was going to be used primarily for skiing, boating, and such then I might lean more toward a dual console.

Bob

In a boat that size room is not an issue (IMO). The console also provides for extra storage and a glove box for those items you want quick access to. I think a boater also has to look at the comfort of their passengers. When you are up around 40-50 mph that is a lot of wind blowing on them. In rain it is even worse. This is Minnesota and most of us do run hard in the spring and fall and the temps get cold. Again, think of your passengers.

I agree with Down Deep.

I started with a tiller, then a single console and now dual console.

My wife and fishing partners didn't like sitting shotgun in the elements. I like the added storage in the glove box, and under the console I always keep a small cooler, rain gear, boots, etc under there and it's always protected. Sure, duals eat up boat space, but not enough to bother me. I see the extra console as a benefit for my needs.

I don't like a full windshield, but those will give maximum protection.

I think Chuck N and the others said it well.

I went from a single console to a dual console with windshield. It's a bigger, wider boat and has more space than my single console had. Plus you use the space you have, and putting things under the second console, in the glove box, and on the dash is very handy.

My wife and kids love having the windshield. And my fishing partners and buddies in the boat never complain either, and on the cold days or the rainy days or the long runs they always want to sit behind the windshield.

I guess you could say the windshield affects the way you fish from the boat, but the important thing is that it doesn't hurt the fishability, you just work around it. I have plenty of room behind the windshield to troll with 3 guys and 6 lines. And two of us can cast from the front deck at the same time. I do some muskie fishing too where you need to do figure 8s and work "hot" fish and I don't have any issues with the windshield.

Personally I would not buy a boat without a full windshield. For me it's based on comfort when running from one spot to the next. I love to get out in weather that keeps other boaters off the water. I have never owned a single console but have had a dual console and multiple full windshield boats. The dual console was OK but it seemed that I was always looking for a way to block the wind between the consoles if I was running very far in cold or rainy weather.

I'm in agreement with the rest... having the second console is a big deal to me... and more of a big deal to the guy fishing with me.

I know I wish we had a full windshield with a tarp / cover to snap in the walkway sturgeon fishing in the blizzard this past year - you could have put the bimini top up, put the snap in curtain in the walkway and blocked 85% of the wind, which would have been a huge improvement.

marine_man

I have had both, and both have advantages. When I had a side console, I really loved it, but I also fished alone most of the time. It was not really a big deal. Now I have a wife and kid, and that is why I have a full windshield. When the weather gets windy or wet, I put the top up and get to keep fishing, and all are happy. Otherwise, the wife would only fish with me from 11 to 1 on sunny bright days that the temp was over 80 degrees. (fish love that, don't they!!) The extra storage is great as well.

Thanks for all the input guys, I just couldn't afford the boat I really wanted with a dual console, so I ended up with a single for now. It'll do fine for a couple years, by then i'll have enough to upgrade a little and make it more comfy for my wife and friends.

I think muskie fishing will be easier from a single with 2 people, and fishing 3, which I do often, will be easier too. I'll find out soon enough!

If you ended up with the Ranger 690 in a single console, you got a great boat. I had one for 5 years and it was one of my favorite boats of all time. Of the two you mentioned at the top, the 692 (dual console of that model)is just not a good layout as dual consoles go IMO. Much better to go with the newer models of 619's or 620's if you want to eventually go with a dual console.

So what did you get?

ccarlson

... I just couldn't afford the boat I really wanted with a dual console, so I ended up with a single for now. It'll do fine for a couple years, by then i'll have enough to upgrade a little...

Be careful. You may hear those dreaded words uttered by spouses all over the state "but you already have a boat" eek

Hey guys, here she is! Resting comfortably under wraps till it gets warm enough to run on the river. I am stupid-giddy for open water!!!!!

It's a 1996 690VS with a 1996 175 Merc EFI. The boat is FLAWLESS and runs top notch. I was fortunate enough to buy it on it's second for sale go around in 3 weeks and get a good test drive in on the Chippewa River last weekend prior to purchase. Now to put my good electronics on it and find some gas money for a trip to Kentucky or something!

690VS005.jpg

690VS001.jpg

Thanks for keepin a secret hanson!

Thanks for keepin a secret hanson!

Not a problem. grin

I've been e-mailing "Cjac" for what seams like a long time about these 690 Rangers that

keep coming up for sale.

It was always... "Dude look at this one!". Or... "Check this puppy out!"

Or... "I can't believe the price on this one!"

I saw the one you ended up getting on WC about a month ago probably and thought, now that

is one heck of a boat. Nice color, great condition, its just beautiful. Then Cjac e-mailed

me back and said guess who bought it. grin

Like I said, the (1994)690 I had was one of the best boats I've had. Congratulations on yours. My guess is that you will most likely always run a Ranger from here out. People complain that they are expensive but if you buy them used at a good price, it's no more than a newer aluminum boat and they are built to last so no problem with going used. I paid 13,900 for mine used, ran it for 5 years and sold it for 12,500. I can't rent a boat one week a year for that kind of depreciation.

You will also like that efi. They are a strong running motor and better than the early opti's for reliability.

One other thing, if you are a walleye guy, don't be afraid to throw a Vantage on the back of that Ranger. They make great backtrolling rigs too.

Enjoy it.

ccarlson

Quote:
really good motor but you will go through some gas with it unless you throttle back a ways

Yeah, about 2.2 mpg on average when you run it aggressively. smirk I own one myself.

You'll like that 690, congrats on the boat!