• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AX MAN **Official Thread**

bassNspear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a lot of work, but some of that old flame birch can bring in excess of 50 bucks for a board foot. To put that in perspective, a board one inch thick, six feet long, and a foot wide would bring 300 bucks. Now picture how many boards could be sawn from a log 20-30 inches thick, and 20-30 feet long.

Ka-Ching!

Even more value comes from some of the old growth hardwood logs that are recovered and turned into veneer.

From the article I read here, there aren't any permits issued to do this type of log recovery where they are working. If the water's governing body wants a deadhead removed, they hire a contractor to do it for them, and the do with the wood as they will. I doubt they's sell it, though, as they rearely try to make money on any ventures like that. S&S attempted to get permits, only to find there aren't permits issued, and they did it anyways.

As far as donating to S&S's "defense fund", I wouldn't give them a penny. I might toss the owner's kid a few bucks to go towards his therapy bills, though.

another great show last night. I get such a kick out of watching the father son out on the river. They just love to yell at one another, and i think its funny as heck. The heliocoper was a bit scary looking last night as well, and its going to be interesting to see what happens next week!

As far as donating to S&S's "defense fund", I wouldn't give them a penny. I might toss the owner's kid a few bucks to go towards his therapy bills, though.

I agree, I would love to see his son give him the plunge

Is it just me or do most of the guys on the crews seem like a bunch of babies. Don't get me wrong I love the show, but they all could use some training on communication skills. They pee & moan about anything & anyone. If something doesn't go right they just leave for the day.

Yes, to me it was amazing to hear that this Pihl guy had fired this Duane character a bunch of times and that he had quit a bunch of times too.

Sounds like a good way to get an afternoon off, because obviously his job is never in jeopardy.

DD

i dont think they get over paid by any means? but yea they wine about everything and say how they loose so much money and can barly make it, but they always seem to pull up in some pretty nice pickups for being to poor?(atleast the boss's)

as for jimmy, all i can say is WOW. he is by far my most favorite person on that show to watch. you never know what stupid thing he is going to do next! a tiny amount of common sense with him would go a long way.

The green horn kinda surprised me. Glad they let the kid get to the next job. He sure is working his butt off. And man, If I were that guys kid on S&S I would of been done WEEKS ago! I think he yells because of the cameras. Trying to sound like he knows what he is doing on tv. Because honestly it looks as though he really has no idea what he is doing out there. Plus im also guessing he really is not making any money. The boat they use is kinda crappy, and that new boat he just bought is still sittin idle. I really do not see them making it very far. I was also thinking about the gps thing in the helicopter. Why would a $800,000 machine come without gps? I mean it IS a helicopter, I would assume most come with something to tell you where your at. Thought it was kinda boneheaded to go back up when he saw another big storm moving in.

Being in the aviation field, that helicopter segment seemed to be drama-ed up pretty good. No way do they not have a cheap GPS in there for these situations. They also have a Nav/Com unit (I can see the antennas)that would allow him to navigate to an airport, or at least let him follow a navigation beacon to a safer area. In addition, I'd be very surprised if they dont have alternate landing sites should they fog in. To let his fuel state get that low is also eye raising, and I wonder if that actually happened the way it was portrayed.

The problem that is more of a killer in those situations is getting vertigo from the low/no visibility. That guy is obviously a good stick to keep from crashing in the fog. He trusted his instruments, and they kept him alive.

Jimmy from S and S? What a jerk, LOL. I wondered why he did not have a few timbers along that bank to let those logs ride up on when he hauls them out with the dozer. Nope, brute force them and let them spear into the mud bank. Uff da....

[quote

Jimmy from S and S? What a jerk, LOL. I wondered why he did not have a few timbers along that bank to let those logs ride up on when he hauls them out with the dozer. Nope, brute force them and let them spear into the mud bank. Uff da....