• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog pee stains in yard

LovenLifeGuy

I know I have heard many things about the stains a dog puts in the yard but with the snow melting I noticed two spots in the yard. He only went on the yard a few times over the winter. Anyways, I put the sod down last fall and was woundering if anyone knows a good way to get the grass back? I know it's early but was hoping if I got on it early I could stop it. Any ideas?

We use gypsum in the spring. Just put it in a fertilizer spreader and do the whole yard. We put a little more on the existing big spots, but treating the whole yard prevents spots for the remainder of the year. We spread a little more in their favorite winter "go-to" areas before it gets to cold each fall too.

Have dog,have spots! I've come to the conclusion that the only way I can oliviate the yearly dog spots is to completely pave my landscape! I know, it's an unsitely delema,and it's a chore to re-seed (plus her digging holes) but, a dog is a dog,as the wife says. And if she will except it, woo hoo!! so will I!!

Just don't let it out in the front yard!! That's my only bowndries!!

Good Luck!!

><>

I think that what you use is lime, not lye. You can buy it as a powder and I think that's called hydrated lime, or you can get gypsum pellets. The powder may be easier for small spots but frankly it seems to do the lawn good to use the spreader and put the pellets down on the entire lawns.

ok feetoe,

the toilette is over their. put en on a leash, train them, and when their trained, you won;t need the leash.

just like a kid. you don't let them pea all over the house, do you?

no. you take them to the place and tell them this is where you go, and them you praise them for what their doing or have done. you don't force them, byt praise them, and tell them what ther doing, and them love them a lots...........

We had the same problem last spring. From what I read is that since the grass in not growing in the winter that the pee will kill it. We had an area behind our patio that had hundreds of dead spots, and I spent several hours last spring reseeding and watering.

We did what lovfs said, retrain the dog to go in 1 area. We trained her to go in the mulch area and she has done really well. I know I will have a spot or two to fix, but not like last spring.

Use Gypsum.

20 lbs per 1000 sq ft.

Use it on the spots in the spring, then use it again 2 more times during the year.

It'll keep the salts in the urine from burning your lawn.

Also use it along boulevards if you have a city / county / state street where they're constantly dumping salt in the winter.

You can use it more on the spots where the burn is, then lighter amounts over the rest of the lawn.

I hvae a 4 year old, 80 lb , Golden retriever/ yellow lab cross.

She was destroying my yard until I invested in a product called "Green ums"

I had looked into other supplements and was finding warning labels on them and refused to give her something that could hurt her. I talked to my vet and she recommended the Greenums. No health warning label so I took that as a good sign.

It has decreased the dead spots and given me my yard back.

Talk to your Vet and see if they recommend something to help.

Gypsum and lime both nutralize the acid from dog urine. The gypsum is a coarse granule that is easy to work with. Lime is a fine powder like portland cement that is messy to use and sticks to everything.