• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Archery Target

stick

I don't think I've seen this on this thread, but what is everyone's favorite archery target? I'm open to block-style, 3D, etc. I just got into archery last summer, and got a nice little target that had very easy arrow removal. The other side of that coin is that there were very easy pass-throughs. I ended up getting one of the very popular 4-sided targets, that advertises easy arrow removal. Easy compared to what...a tree? I do like the target for the 4 sided different targets and the weight of the target (it doesn't spin with arrow hits). Just curious of anyone's feedback.

Last year I bought a bag target, i really like it for target shooting with field points. I have not used it a lot because last summer i had free axcess to an outdoor range with big bale targets. I have not had a pass through yet, i have not even had a point come out the back side. And arrow removal is very easy compared to any other target i have ever shot into. Only bad side is that you cannot shoot broadheads into them. For broadheads i think i may just get another cheap foam target

Depends on what you shoot. I shoot a 300+ fps bow and well if I shoot a bag I go through it. My buddy got a Black Hole and over shot it. Now he shoots through that. He tried the Yellow Jacket thing and he's going through that. I bought a Block 4x4 and i haven't shot through it and I don't think I ever will. worth the money to buy a Block!

All I shoot are broadheads and my Yellow Jacket block target has taken a pounding the past three years. It's a crossbow version cause that's all that was left at the store. Not sure if that makes a difference but it works. My wife got me a Glendel buck for XMas with the block in it. Looking forward to using that when it warms up in a month or two!

Depends on what you shoot. I shoot a 300+ fps bow and well if I shoot a bag I go through it.

well, must have been a different bag than the one i have, or a lot more abused, because i shoot an 07 hoyt, 70 lbs, 30" draw, that according to the rating should be at 316 fps. I don't know exactly what it is, i have not taken it to a chronograph, but i would say should be around or above 300 fps.

If i had the money, i would use a block 4x4.

UNDSportsman, your hoyt at 70 with a 30" draw is probably shooting around 280 or 290. What arrows do you shoot, and what is the grain per inch of the arrows?

From my experience with a block 4x4 they don't hold up too well to broadheads or field points.

I bought the Glendel last year. I love it and I think I helped me to pin-point my spot on the animal. Once you start shooting the broadheads, it starts getting torn up like everything else on the market. You can shoot thousands of field tips into them and they still hold up well. It doesn't cost anymore to replace the block than buying another target. I've always only gotten 1 year of use out of any target anyway, so to me it nice to have a "life-like" target.

I've owned 3-4 different brands of targets and I never really felt like I had a hard time removing my arrow the from target. Not enough to call it a problem anyway. I think that so-called idea is more of a marketing pitch than an actual concern.

I've only used cheap targets and so far I've been fine with it. I used a Fleet Farm special for everything for my first two years. It got really torn up from the broadheads, but still stops the arrows. Last year I bought a Gander Mtn broadhead target. Its the high-density foam, not layers, and that works well for BH's, but its really hard to remove field tip arrows. It actually sucked out one of my inserts.

I know the top of the line seems to be the 18-n-1 from rhinehart. Since I now have an X-force I've been slamming my arrows almost all the way through my foam so I plan on upgrading too.

UMDSportsman, your hoyt at 70 with a 30" draw is probably shooting around 280 or 290. What arrows do you shoot, and what is the grain per inch of the arrows?

I currently shoot the cabelas carbon hunter 65/80. They are somewhere between 9-10 gpi. I don't have the box anymore, and the HSOforum has two different numbers for the different box sizes, doesn't make any sense. They were given to me, and i know they are a cheaper arrow, so that was good since i have wrecked a fair number of arrows. I am thinking about getting new arrows, but don't know what i want yet.

For years I've been using a homemade target with compressed cardboard, it works ok but sometimes your arrows are hard to get out. Last year I started using a bag target because I wanted to be able to move it around, shoot from diferent distances and angles when practicing from a stand, and I really like the easy arrow removal!!! For broadheads I shoot into a foam deer target.