• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After spending an hour in Urgent Care...

I was wondering what the worse work accident you have had is. Let's even include fishing/outdoors activities. Here is how it all started tonight....

I was at work tonight cutting some peppers and the serrated knife decided I didn't need the tip of my index finger ( I do believe my store is possessed, thank goodness I had one of my shift leaders on tonight!) crycrycry . (My employees were amazed I didn't cry and scream, but what I had to say wasn't appropriate for children and we had quite a few guests crazy .) While I didn't lose it, a great doctor later and some glue on the tip helped me come up with this. Not only that, I missed working out tonight!!!!!!!!! mad

hmmm

i was 9 or 10 when i was at my friends house and we were messing around on our bikes. he hopped a curb so i thought that whatever he could do i could do better. I got some speed, but it wasnt enough. My front tire made it over the curb but that was about it. as i fell to my left, I decided that the best way i could stop myself was by putting my knee down....but that was the wrong answer. i stood up and noticed a chunk taken out right below my knee. It was just a little bit smaller around than a golf ball and about 1/2" deep. The only reason i cried was the blood, for some reason it didnt help at all. My friends mother got the garden hose and rinsed it off and found the biggest bandage she could. My dad came and got me and i had hoped we would go to urgent care right away to get it all sewen up. but for the second time that day i was wrong about something. I sat on the front step for 2 and a half hours before we went to UC. I had to wait because my dad was expecting one of our neighbors to come over and take care of our computer printer (shows you where i rank sometimes wink ). got to UC and had to wait another hour to get in, by this time it was 8:30. After four or five stitches and a still numb leg we were ready to head home at 10 in the evening.

that is my worst injury so far

Lets see, 4" grinder..... steel door frame..... bound grinder kicked back and about cut my trigger finger off, 4 days before turkey opener. 3 permanent stitches in the tendon and 9 more to close the cut.

4th of July muskie fishing, partner hooks a 10 pound pike. I put on the Lindy glove and lip the fish and start to remove the 2 buried 5/0 trebles. Get first hook out fish gets loose and the hook burys in my leg right above the knee. $320 later and an hour in the ER I'm back on the lake. Reason I had to unhook his fish was due to him being injured at work cutting the end of his finger off.

In my line of work ( construction) bleedings a daily thing. Theres many more but no time now for a novel

umm which one is worse not sure but when i was 5 my older brother (15) was takin me to the park and he tied our red wagon to the back of his back and started goin as fast as he could took a corner well we didn't account for the whip action so i went flyin outta the wagon sliding all the way to the other curb blood comin from everywhere (face knees arms hands etc) still have the scars from that............

or it could be when i was 8 my brother and i once again were playin and it got a lil rough and i fell back and hit my head on the corner of the wall and split my head open once again blood was comin out of my head called my dad to come from work and we closed it our way as we didn't wanna explain it to the doc or more importantly mom smile

About 5 years ago I was dragging a canoe through some brush and I swung my leg forward to take another step.

A twig about the size of pencil hit my shin bone and went into the front of my leg right along the bone. Of course it had a little barb on it so it wouldn't come out.

Well I walked home and got a pliers and I've got the skin pulled out about 6 inches and it aint coming out....

Off to urgent care!

Being mister tough guy and pulling on it with a pliers for about an hour the Dr. asks do you wanna watch? I say sure what the [PoorWordUsage].

Well, he takes a scalpel and fillets my shin open right on the spot.

I turn white as a ghost and pass out!

My wife still reminds me of how much of a tough guy I am!LOL...

Glad you're OK.

I can't list mine, way too many. There's a reason my wife refers to me as "tool man taylor". Lets just say I'm hurt weekly and make a few trips to the ER a year. Good thing they went to electronic records, felt bad for the Doc when he had to carry records around.

Happened a couple years ago now, but on a rainy night slammed my finger in a tractor door and landed my ring finger of all the fingers in the latch, cut right through the tendon to the knuckle, lucky me the night before easter. Three hours of surgery later and a nice 3 inch pin and i still have no movement on the tip of my finger, and the circulation is not the greatest either, gotta watch out for frost bite now.

All i have to say is thank god for workmans comp.

The worst injury that I can remember was when I was in kindergarten. We had a cabin up on Big Winnie. The whole family was up there one fine summer weekend. Us kids decided to go swimming. Walking along the shore through the rocks, when I slipped on an algae covered rock. Foot slipped down the side of the rock where there was a broken bottle. My foot was cut from ankle bone to ankle bone. The blood was running free. My sisters thought that it would be faster for them to carry me up the steep hill to the cabin and then bring me to the hospital. I just took off running. I now wished I had taken them up on the offer. Mom washed the cut out the best she could. I noticed when she was washing it that my heel looked as if it were ready to fall off. Off to the ER in Deer River we went. It took 3 bottles of novocaine to perform the cleaning and repair. The nurse was up to her second knuckle cleaning it out. After that, I saw the ER in Deer River many more times. By this time, I asked the doctor if I should just get my own stitch kit. They did have an interesting souvenir collection of all the items removed from people.

MNGirl... glad you're okay... just remember... it could've been worse than it is now...

Now for me... well... I have 34+ scars from head to toe... reason for the "+" is that I lost count after 34...

Lets see... got shot with a nailgun on a jobsite when a 2x4 shattered... the nail buried itself all way where top 3/4 inch was still visible...

accidently cut my left index finger on a band saw... was cutting a 6x6 for a wood project... rotten area just broke apart and accidently "pushed" my finger thru...

blew up a tv... sliced a good size chunk off my palm...

accidently jammed a razorblade into my thumb... limited mobility but still can play PS2 with the thumb... was my rehabilation...

amongst many more... *sigh*

Good to hear things are going to be OK. Like Sandmann my emergency room experiences are too many to list. Cuts, broken bones, couple of memorable ones I had a car roll off the jack and land on me at one time, I hurt for about 6 weeks after that one.

Another, working as a machinist and stamping a part number on a piece and part of the end of the hammer fragmented about the size of a .22 bullet lodged itself in my forearm. Talk about bleed! Spent about 2 hours in the ER, about 1 hour of it with a doc with set up forceps a couple inches up in the hole digging around looking for that chunk of steel, looked pretty freaky. Finally they gave up and said if it doesn't get infected just leave it.

I did a good job on my wrist with a chain saw, and dropped a trailer hitch on my hand, with the trailer attached...had to go for tetanus shots both times...All the rest are minor things that the family just rolls their eyes and says the old..."not again" phrase.

Ouchie mngirl!!! Glad they could glue you back together! smirkgrin

I tried to break the seal of a juice bottle with a paring knife. You guessed it-knife slipped and I got cut between my thumb and index finger. Hands bleed a lot don't they!! I cut a tendon/nerves and was in surgery to reattach both that day. Lesson: Don't use knives as tools. Point WELL taken. I got the scar to prove it! OUCH!

Im glad that you are alright mngirl... Dont let that finger tip get in the way of riding bike this spring...

My worst accident was Aug 1 2003. Going down the interstate at 65 miles an hour with my Honda Goldwing motorcycle. The valve stem of the front wheel broke off and I hit the ashphalt at about 50 miles an hour.

5 hours in the ER I left the hospital with a bunch of road rash, ripped clothes, and a broken naughty finger with a splint on it twice the length of my finger... Hmmm wonder what everybody thought about that?

The only damage to the motorcycle was a few scrapes in the paint and on the chrome motor guards. I had the front tire replaced just to make sure and had both valve stems replaced.

4 days later I drove that same bike back from Wisconsin brused up and nervous but I still ride today so I must have healed... smile

Quote:
Lisa, the "old grouch" says he doesn't want you for a nurse!!
Now there's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one! That's ok though Barb-I'm a little bit older and a lot more wise now. Thank goodness I won't probably be a nurse in the G.R. area since I don't have a fan club starting up anytime soon!! winksmile

Trust me when I say you wouldn't want to have him as a patient!!! sick When he was in the hospital they wanted him to eat yogurt and drink ensure so he would heal faster, he had a nurse with a German accent and he threatened to throw them at her. The only nurse he really got along with was a 5' tall little spitfire that wouldn't take no guff from him. Oh yeah, if I have to hear "Hep me" one more time this week I am going to pack the car and run away. Of course I will take the auger, the wheeler, and all my fishing gear with me. Now I have to go change the bag. EEEEEEEW.

For myself work hasn't given injuries needing to go the ER, except getting hit in the head and needing stitches by the bucket of a backhoe...but workers I have some stories:

1) Had a kitchen manager cut his finer tip off in the slicer and had to find it pack it in ice and then rush him to the ER for that

2) Had a cook cut his finger tip off with a knife and had to find that and ice it and rush him to the ER

3) Had a fryer that the oil popped and splattered one of my cooks from head to toe at 375degrees...that was a rough day, but after the ER just some light burns as we reacted quick enough not to cause major injuries

4) had another cook cleaning the hoods and standing between 2 fryers, slipped and his leg went into the fryer and burned his foot and shin to 3rd degree's

5) so many more to list off.....

Fall of 2007 I got in a atv accident it ran over my foot, and when I got up after the accident I thought I was ok. Then I tried to walk and could not I look down and see and abnormally large bulge coming out the side of my foot. I could not even move my toes with the severe fracture/crush of the navicular bone and all the bones dislocated. Long story short One reconstructive surgey with 2 screws, and another surgery to remove one screw. I still show the signs and have good and bad days with the foot. Can't run for fun anymore which sucks.. Also I have a sweet huge scars all over my foot. I would post pics but I don't think that they would be allowed? no blood but its not pleasent.

Oh geez! Man, I've had a easy life compared to some of you people! I do have another story though from when I was about 9 or 10 I think, I may have posted this before...

I was riding snowmobiles with my cousin. Well, he hit something, and my leg was slammed against a rock, not part, the WHOLE thing. I had a bruise from knee to foot and ended up going to the doctor. They drained over 2 TBSP of blood from my leg. To this day, about 15 years later, I still have a bump in that area and have never quite gained back all sensation in that section of my leg.

Another one, I was about 13 or 14 and riding a three wheeler and was coming around a corner. Well, the brakes didn't work so quick and it went into a small pine tree, that then proceeded to roll into a parked car( Yeah, I'm good like that cool). I had a couple of hurt ribs, but I was too scared to say anything.

Ok, here is a sign it's NOT my week also, I have never this accident prone...

I was handing out flyers for my store, we are doing a free dinner on Monday, and I slipped and landed on my behind. I did your classic, fall with arms out and land on butt style fall(10 for style for sure) blush .

So, I have definitely decided NO sharp objects for a while unless I HAVE to use them, and if I go out fishing on Sunday, I will be in a vehicle and make sure to not walk on ANY patches of ice, only snowy areas. Knock on wood there isn't any more crazy Not like this is bad stuff, but man, I never have weeks like this!!! Thanks for the wishes. grin

I'll just mention the last one. This past June I got concrete stain, which is hydrochloric acid based, splashed in my face and burned my right eye leaving a 7mmx7mm abrasion on the surface of the eye. Partial vision loss for about 6 days. Eye doc says I'm dam lucky to still see at all.

Kids listen up, keep the hydrochloric acid out of the eyes!

I'll tell you what, the burning was bad, yes, but having my eye held open for 35 minutes with an OPTICAL OPTICAL speculum was very uncomforable. Reminded me of the Clockwork Orange. Then if that wasn't bad enough, there is a gritty, flaky feeling when the outer layer of the eye starts coming off during the healing process. Believe it or not, contact lenses actually make it feel better.

Now everyone stop blinking and squinting so much!!!