• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NHO & the Mouse...

Observing raptors at their game, hunting, is something that truly must be seen or witnessed to fully appreciate. Like most top preditors, they will patiently wait for their intended prey to show up and that's when they abilities kick into warp speed!

Today I sitting quietly observing the observer, who was perch at the top of a White Polar (Aspen) tree. Suddenly and withour hesitation, this beautiful Northern Hawk Owl errupts off the branch, bolting nearly straight down at an unbelievable rate of descent! So why all the comotion you ask...ask the mouse. Well maybe not, as it's apparent the little mouse is beyond any and all forms of comunication now!!!

IMG_6081-1.png

The NHO wasted no time in biting into the back of the mouse and then it quickly took to the air and landed in a tree to dispatch it's dinner! What a treat, what a great treat to have watched this scenario play itself out!

Oh ya, judging by the glare I was given, it's quite apparent that the owl was not in any mood to share! wink

IMG_6099-1.png

Thanks all! I consider myself to be very fortunate by having this NHO hang around where I reside. Unlike the Great Horned Owl, NHO's are not people shy, therefore getting close for quality shots is not difficult most times.

Two winters ago, before I was equipped with my Canon products, there were six Great Grey's hanging around. By shear numbers, this was totally unprecedented. Once again, great Grey's do not seem to be overly people shy and there was me without any muscle as far as lenses was concerned! mad I am now on a GG owl watch and I'm looking foreword to the opporutnity when it rolls around.

Thanks again all for your comments.

My place of residence, a rural setting, is unique in the sense that it offers many bird species and other mamals excellent cover and habitat. I live on a forty acer spread in mixed agriculture zone. There are grain famers as wellas livestock producers throughout the region. With that, they are plenty of open spaces as well. Plenty of hay meadows and wooded area's and our home is located just a couple of miles south of Netley /Libau Marsh. A natural wetland which mass covers more than 100 squre miles! The region is excellent for providing necesary food and shelter for birds etc and a multitude of other creatures.

The NHO which has settled in my area for the winter, can be observed on most days. In fact, I honestly believe (maybe wishful thinking on my behalf) that the little owl is getting used to my presence, who can say?

My plans are to continue my observation and to see just what kind of photo opps. the owl is going to present me.

Here's a few more from yesterday.

IMG_6122-1.png

IMG_6129-1.png

IMG_6133-1.png

All captured on my 70-200 set at 70mm.

In fact, I honestly believe (maybe wishful thinking on my behalf) that the little owl is getting used to my presence, who can say?

My plans are to continue my observation and to see just what kind of photo opps. the owl is going to present me.

And we will know that your theory is correct when he starts showing a big mousy grin on all of your shots. It will be fun to follow your continued observation and photos. Is he really a "little" owl? I was picturing him as quite large. I guess I can go look that up in a book, can't I? Have fun on your quest.