• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Engines

norm25

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's somewhere close to a million sportsman's out there. That may have something to do with it.

Pick any year that Polaris has made atv's. They are in the top 3 in overall performance since they started. I don't think any other manufacturer can claim that.

It's tough to tell with forums also because some people abuse and some people use their machines. IMO, if you want a machine for work, you should have a skid loader.

You will have to refresh my memory as to when I said Polaris is the ONLY brand to have issues. They can all have issues but it seems some more frequently than others.

My point wasn't that you (Caleb) said Polaris was the only mfgr who has issues. My point was with just a smidgen of sarcasm due to the persistance of those who insist on bashing Polaris at every corner.

This thread has strayed from the OP's original question and has run it's course.

there is no such thing as "over maintenance" if you change the oil every day and what not your machine will be in better shape theoredically. if i blew a motor and the service guy told me if was from changing the oil to much i would kick him between the legs, thats just a big lie to make it sound like its entirly your fault.

If "Over Maintenance" was the excuse, given by an official at Polaris, that is reason enough for me to avoid Polaris. Might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That guy should just be fired! By the way, I tried two different Popos before I bought my Honda, it was an easy choice.

One had 18 miles and constantly died. Second one had 7 miles and either backfired or sputtered when you tried to shut it off. There might be a million pops on the roads, but in Europe there's a million Yugos. Doesn't mean they are a good car though. I will say that since Polaris outsourced much of their clutch and rear end building, they have become much better.

500 Polaris... I have a friend with over 9,000 miles on his 500, 1999 Sportsmen. He weighs 360+ lbs. and uses it daily. He plows snow, drags deer stands, pulls logs out of the woods, and pulls a big fish house. He had to replace the clutch this year on the motor. This is the ONLY thing that has ever been done to it (other than tires and belts) It still doesn't burn oil. A farmer I know had a 700 popo and traded it in for the big Suzy King Quad, GREAT Wheeler to, but it is a lot lighter and he can't pull loaded hay racks anymore, because it just spins no traction, to light. I ran Hondas (3 wheelers) for years and still have 4 Honda cycles, but my wheelers are POLARIS. 700 Sportsman, and a 500 Scrambler HO. One is the work horse and one is just fun. I think any newer wheeler is of good quality, its just personal preference.

Perhaps I am way off base here but i dont care what the label or sticker on the 4 wheeler says. But I do care how well they are treated or maintained. Seems funny that "normal" people wont buy a brand new pickup and drive it through the worst conditions they can find, but almost everyone will with a 4 wheeler then wonder why they may break. I know that is kinda what they are for but after owning Honda and Polaris I see very little differance between them as far as reliability.

I heard the "don't buy a polaris" talk. I thought just this one time I'd "buy American" and see what I get? Well, I learned a real quick lesson on that one as the wheeeler spent more time in the shop than it did running. Yes, some people do actually "use" their wheeler. I "used" my Yamaha's and One Suzuki and they have been flawless. I admit to being a little rough on things blush But the "foreign" wheelers will take anything I've dished out and are ready for more! I know that if I treated a polaris like I treat my Suzuki, the polaris would be broke!

22,500 miles on a 2007 AC 650 H1 TRV. 2 ball joints, 2 sets of tires, 1 set of brake pads, 1 belt, one seal (caused the need to replace belt) and new suspension bushings.

This machine is used daily by my dad and meticulously maintained. Oil changed every 1000 miles, washed after nearly every ride.

IMO Popos are not built for work. Yeah, they are heavy, but the clutching system puts way more strain on the clutch than that of the AC's. I have experienced many of my buddies blowing belts, where the only belt my dad replaced was because of a leaky seal that got oil on the belt and the mechanic said it was just a good idea to replace it.

I don't feel I have to defend my choice of machine to anybody. If you weren't happy with a particular brand get rid of it. No big deal. I garontee they aren't all lemons. I have a Polaris it's great. Have a Yamaha too. Not nearly as great but I don't bash them every chance I get.

yea i agree, everyone has there own brands and no same machine is the same. you can have 2 of the exact same models and one might break all the time and the other may run forever. there is never a guarentee its all personal prefrence. i run polaris just because i have had good luck with them, we got a 03 sportsman 400 with over 6,000 miles and i ran the living wee outa it and never had any major problems just some little maintenece stuff.

Its like Ford VS. Chevy, I have Chevys, but there are some REALLY good Fords, I did have a Ford van many years ago. When I repainted it, I turned the individual letters around so it read DORF, because I wouldn't drive a Ford. I got a speeding ticket out in the state of VA. and the Trooper looked at the rear doors 4 times and put Dodge on the ticket, what a slam, LOL. Talk about a hillbilly its only 4 letters.

Polaris innovation?? mayb on the auto tranny.... Suzuki built the first atv with true four wheel drive & fully independent suspension, back in 1987...I still have one...takes a country mile to turn the ol girl, butt its still going strong...Ive personally seen 3 of those 500 fuji motors take a [PoorWordUsage] and Ive never owned a polaris...Ive always felt there were some issues there... either way Good Luck.

1. auto tranny

2. AWD

3. IRS that stuck through the lineup since introduced

4. 26" tires

5. 14" rims

6. a real running light (most atv's still only have a light in the rear with the lights on or hitting the brakes

7. disk brakes (4 wheel now)

8. switchable AWD

9. a radiator

10. made in USA

11. full floorboards

12. one of the first atv's with EFI

13. halogen headlights

14. sport model with AWD

15. engine braking

16. youth models with standard safety features

There are more, but I think that's enough to make a point.

Most of these were copied by every manufacturer.

dont forget you can go from 2wd to AWD with the flip of switch regardless of how fast or slow you are going. Not to many other manufacturers allow that. Not to mention you actually get true AWD and not a 3 wheel wonder.

Polaris's AWD is a unique feature, when it works. It seems like a makeshift system to me that is not very reliable. Look at the past posts and you will see. They did come out with the belt system 1st on an atv, but others (Yamaha,Suzuki) have improved the belt system and made it way more reliable.

Made in USA with the help of Fuji engines.

Sport model with AWD, if you call the portly Scramblers sporty?

Engine braking? Actually remember polaris's earlier machines freewheeling downhill (very scary on a big hill)! Just grab the single handed brake lever right! They do have some good ideas, and I'm glad they are always trying something new. But they leave the customer as the guinea pig and if something wasn't a good idea it's up to the customer to find out.

This is beautiful

Just this pass weekend we pulled in 3 ATV's "non Polaris" off of Mille Lacs with a 98 Sportsman..... grin

We couldn't stop laughing even my Buddy with the almighty SEIZED 07 Honda had to laugh... grin

I hope those Camera phone pics turned out......LOL!

The reason I call it makeshift, is that it has so many things to go out on it. I remember someone saying check by the tires for a wire that has to do with it's 4wd? You have some type of shim in the switch or something for 4wd? When you put them in reverse they are in 2wd until you hold down a button and then it switches to 4wd? I know when I had my popo when I was plowing the front 2 tires would engage and disengage, and not both at the same time. It was very junky sounding to say the least.

I completely agree with Polaris needing to update their Scrambler design. Heck they needed to do that shortly after they came out with them! A little to tubby to be a true sport 4wd IMO.

Polaris's AWD is a unique feature, when it works. It seems like a makeshift system to me that is not very reliable. Look at the past posts and you will see. They did come out with the belt system 1st on an atv, but others (Yamaha,Suzuki) have improved the belt system and made it way more reliable.

Made in USA with the help of Fuji engines.

Sport model with AWD, if you call the portly Scramblers sporty?

Engine braking? Actually remember polaris's earlier machines freewheeling downhill (very scary on a big hill)! Just grab the single handed brake lever right! They do have some good ideas, and I'm glad they are always trying something new. But they leave the customer as the guinea pig and if something wasn't a good idea it's up to the customer to find out.

I said they were first to do these things. didn't say they always had these things.

One good point you made was about the belt system. Others have made it better. I don't know a whole lot about the new Polaris belt system. It may be better, may not be, but it has a 5000 miles belt life.....????????? We'll have to see.

NAMA, you have more to do with this that what you tell. I would be interested to know.