• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grinding up deer meat

I'm with swedishP...I follow those same percentages. I don't mind the venison taste, but I have a wife that would rather not taste so much "game" meat. So in order for me to keep hunting and putting venison in the freezer I make it to her liking because I'm not picky. I have noticed that smoking it, I can get away with less mix.

I typically recommend 10% beef suet to my customers. Never have had a complaint. I run it thru my course grind 7mm(#42 sized head) twice and fine 4 mm, once. People call it a "Gamey" taste when in fact THAT"S how venison tastes. I'll do it any way the guy wants it. I've got one guy that wants bacon mixed in his and had a guy that passed away always had me add a tablespoon of course grind black pepper per pound. How ever they want it, I'll do it. Guess tnat's why I get paid and have repeat cutomers.

Agreed, 100% venison for jerky.

I have used 25% hamburger 75% venison for burger meat, keeps the wife happy that way! Plus it sticks together better with some hamburger.

I like your idea of 25 / 75 mix.

but how lean is that 25% Hambuger that you are using?

80 % lean?

10% beef fat for making hamburger is pretty standard

I also agree with this. Beef fat will freeze better, longer than pork.

For me it also depends on how much scrap I have. We won't buy any hamburger for the year, so if the scrap pile is small, I'll add up to 50% chuck. I may be the guy paul mentioned, I like bacon ends mixed in for the fat, about 20%. It's not that I don't like the venison flavor, I do, but the bacon flavor/smell? Mmmmmmm!