• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best bent stick n string?

Random guy

I used to be the guy with the new Mathews and all the latest and greatest gadgets and sights. Now that stuff is cool but I am thinking simpler, cheaper times. Trade the 320, carbon arrows at 4.2 grains per inch at 13% FOC and fiber optic sights for a good recurve and a shooting glove. My longest kill shot ever was 29 yards away with a twenty yard norm, guess I just want to go shoot/hunt and not worry about sight leads breaking, releases sticking and if my rest got bumped and moved 3/32 of an inch. Not to mention I feel it increases the sport/challenge to do it stick and string verses the modern compound.

So I am wondering who makes or currently uses a good recurve that is not wicked exspensive. Looking at a 55-60" bow around the 45-50 lb mark without sight/rest inserts so I am not tempted to start fitting it. wink I see most major compound companies have a recurve line...or maybe they where recurve companies that devolped a compound line?

Johnny,

I've dabbled in the stick and string, but after missing a nice 6ptr 3x in about 5 minutes a few years ago, I went back to my compound. grin There are several companies that make them commercailly. I know a guy near here (Deer River) that makes custom recurves and long bows. My dad has one of this guy's recurves.....what a beautiful bow!!! His name is Frank Hellman 218-246-2834. I'm not sure on what his prices are, but you won't be disappointed if you go this route!

My recurve is a Martin X-200, they had a couple other models at that time, 5-10 years ago. My dad runs an archery shop and used to have the Martin's, now he just has Hellman's sticks in the shop.

Brian

I get a kick out of people who think the stickbow is something new and exciting. I am old enough that I HAD to shoot one. I've found a better way and I'm not going back. grin

Hiya,

To me, going back to a basic recurve and arrows is something revered and respected...especially if one becomes an extremely accurate shot.

Instinctive shooting (to me) is the utmost in ability. To be consistent enough at 20 yards to take an animal in this manner is something I highly respect because it takes dedication to practice..much more than what we do with our compounds, release aids, peep sights, etc.

I say go for it!! Someday I will be doing that as well...

Steve

I commend you John for looking to go back (or starting with) a recurve bow.

I have been looking to get back in archery and I just have glanced at the recurves. P.S.E had a good recurve at a great price.

The PSE Kudu Recurve Bow.

It is right hand only and has draw length of 45 lbs., 50 lbs., 55 lbs., 60 lbs. It was around the 3 bills mark though the last time I checked on them.

Good luck and to shoot a recurve takes a mans man wink.

I hear you Jonny. I stared out with the older recurve probably before you were starting to archery hunt. I know, what an old coot.

I went to the compound as it was the thing to do and have never looked back. I have a buddy that bow hunted for years and he went back as it is more of a challenge.

I cannot name any real good recurves but they are out there. I don't know if I will ever go back but I commmed you for going the more simple route with a much bigger challenge.

It is a going back.

When I started I learned by gap shooting down the arrow shaft, in fact my first archery kills where shot instinctive or gap with the barely legal forty pound pull that took everything I had. Hardest part for me was learning to hold a bow straight and learning to re-anchor for the peep/sights on a compound. So it is not something new and exciting for me. Basicaly I am sick and tired of fifty things attached to bow running the bill up in the thousands only to be deamed outdated by the next hunting season.

Guess it boils down to just going hunting, that simple.

One thing I have noticed while researching is that longbows and recurves have come a long ways in 15 years. New limb construction, fancy risers, short 48" recurves,take downs and modern version of mongolain horse bows. That and a few that run well over a grand. eek

The customs can be HORIBLY expensive. Here is what I learned when I made the switch....

You can find good deals on bows on the various auction sites. I have also had good success at "antique" shops, pawn shops, and garage/estate sales. A word of warning... when it comes to recurves and longbows, there is no such thing as having "a bow". I dont know a single trad shooter who has but one. I am down to 5 blush the rack is getting kind of thin. Due to some finacial hardships the heard had to get thined cry.

You will find there are some very good "production" bows out there to be had. I prefer the Pearson line of bows, but I also have a Bear. You will pay more for the Bear name though, some are collector items and that will drive up price's. Martin's are also good bow's. The Mamba especialy.

If you do get a used bow, which is were I would start, dont be afraid to "tweek it" just a little. Wooden bows can stand up to a little creative sanding and shaping. If you were to put my best shooting pearson next to one that came off the line right before or after it you would never believe they were the same.

I currently shoot a Hoyt Gamemaster. It was spendy for me ('bout $400) but I wanted to add a metal risered bow to my line up and it looked cool.

Good luck, and welcome back. For me I had the basics of shooting down. (archery coach) So going from wheels to wood didn't take that much effort. sickwhistlesick I shoot truly extinctive. I suck at shooting spots, but do very well at the 3d range, with groups that get the job done.

JP, I keep hearing good things about the Martin Mamba. Also, it's hard to argue with the ads that Martin uses! wink I looked at one of their ads for 20 minutes before I noticed that it was an archery advertisement!!!

Anyway... I can offer the 2nd hand recomendation of a Mamba.

I really like my 45# Martin Dreamcatcher. I bought it probably 10 or 12 years ago. I haven't hunted with it for 5 or so years no though because I have gone back to a compound for more accurate shots at elk. I just don't have the space or time anymore to properly practice with the recurve to be confident hunting with it.

One of my uncles shoots custom recurves, most go for $900 to over $1000 easily. Very pretty bows though.