• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one else building a fish house?

fishingguy

I am building a 6x12. I am about ready to start putting it together. Anyone else doing one this summer? Anyone have any advice? do's and don'ts?

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-22-2004).]

I'm building myself a nice 6.5 x 14! Got it framed and getting ready to start the interior! if anyone has any great ideas about building or whatever let us know.

I'm using Tar paper on the outside instead of tyvec or plastic that way it will absorb more heat!

I am building a 10 x 20, got her vinyl sided, shingled, floor insulated and hole covers in. Next weekend i'll be doing the electrical and the rest of the insulation, then the real fun begins, tongue and groove,hanging lights, building bunks, installing heater etc.

Hi all. Im new to the forum and glad to see that im not the only one thinking about ice when it is 90 degrees and 100% humidity. I am in the planning stages of a house and could use help with the retractable wheels. I would be interested in any pictures that people have of their systems. I have an idea in my head but would like to see other peoples. Im always trying to build a better mouse trap ya know. Any thoughts on torsion vs. leaf spring suspension?? My plans are to build a 6'6" x 14 house on a 2x3 steel tubing frame and have a full width rear door so I can haul an atv in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wow! I thought I was the only one getting weird looks from people, working on a fish house in july! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Last weekend I painted the frame, mounted the floor on, and got the wall plates all layed out. This weekend its framing the studs, standing the walls, and hopefully framing the rafters.
What is everyone using for lights? How many? Anyone putting lights over the holes? Is anyone insulating there floor? I'm thinking of cutting foam and mounting it from the bottom, between the steel frame, to the plywood. Any thoughts?

What are you guys using for hole lights? I was thinking about mounting a small dome light of some sort on the underside of the house in between the floor joists to keep it protected. Any ideas?

If your building your own their are several things to consider. Interior and possibly exterior lighting. Propane and/or 120v-12v. Or I reccommmend both. Also if your making the walls or ceilings structure from metal make sure to put insulation between the metal and the interior sheeting to stop thermal bridging. Otherwise it will sweat and ruin the house as well as make it humid and possbily be dripping on you. Lots more things but the last thing I would recommend is urethane spray foam over sheet insulation or batting. No rot or mold and stiffens up the structure. Have fun its alot of work to do it right.

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.minnesotacharterfishing.com

DCON

For hole lights I have used licence plate lights that are used on semi-trailers. Made by Truck-Lite (model 15) they make nice mounting brackets that you can screw to the wall and the lights point straight down. I just checked their HSOforum and I see that they are making LED lights that fit the same bracket (same model 15) I don't know what the LEDs cost but it would be worth a little extra cash to save alot of battery life. Just remember that when hooking up an LED that it is a diode and will not work if pluged in backwards like a standard light will. You can buy (or order) them at any heavy truck dealer or store. Hope this helps.

Wow, summer is flying by and I haven't started on my house yet. Yikes. There is definitely going to be some thrashing to get it together this fall.

She's going to be 8'x14' on skids, can't afford the drop wheel trailer yet. Anyway, it's going to sleep 4 people, 3 bunks and a dinette that converts to a bed. Catch covers on all the holes and a nice Empire direct vent so I sleep better at night. Not quite sure about a cooktop yet, gonna have to see how much room I have inside.

Since I work for an architecture firm, the entire house has been designed and redesigned many times in AutoCad. I've even gone so far as to compile a materials list and somewhat accurate cost estimate. Now I've just got to build the thing.

Its definitely going to make the winter a whole lot more fun. I can't wait!

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 07-15-2004).]

RV interior/exterior lights work great...
Many different styles and are directional for wall mounts.Connect wires and mount to wall in seconds.
Some have the switch right on the light assembly.
Any RV parts store or refurbisher is where to look..

One thing you guys building houses might want to do is to search this forum and the equipment forums. There have been several excellant threads - some have pics in them of houses that have been built. They range from simple to elaborate. One thread by Troy(?) goes on for many pages.

Vary your search words, and see what you get.

UG

I envy you guys too! I wish I had the time and the $ to put together a house for this year.

I guess I'll just have to suffer through one more year of motels and portables frown.gif.

Oh Well, it beats watching TV grin.gif.

I did order and recieve some ceiling/wall lights on HSOList. Fixture with bulb, and on and off switch for around $4 each with frt. Did a search in HSOList motors, other vehicle parts and acc.
Kind of wondering about over hole lights thou. Are they needed? Over each hole?
How about catch covers. Anyone using them? thanks for all the advice.

Catch Covers are the only way to go and almost every manufacturer uses them now.

Hole lights are essential I think unless you happen to have a recessed typed ceiling light over your holes.

I have RV wall lights about 3" X 5" that are directional/wedge towards the floor.
Mounted about a foot up the wall over the holes with the switch right in the light assembly. They were like $8 a piece and put out a clear bright beam.

I like gas lights, am too lazy to carry around batteries. Don't need to put hole light over every hole can see bobbers just fine. Also wonder if lights shining down holes afectts fishing or not. Am thinking of adding TV, VCR, satelite dish to my house this year. If I do I'd get permanent batteries and go w/wind powered generator. Money is the issue with that. I wish catch covers were made back when I built my house (made my ownb out of 5gal. buckets).

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

I was thinking of hole lights also, but instead put 2 gas lights in the house and they light the holes up enough.

I bought white buckets from the local bakery, and use those for hole inserts for only $1 each.

I believe a good light like a gas light shining down the holes, draws the minnows in and gives you a better chance of catching those slabs in the middle of the night.

From the amount of posts tonight in the icefishing forum, you can see what everyone is thinking about.

Ron

FOR YOU GUYS LOOKING FOR LIGHTS FOR OVER THE HOLES LOOK AT MENARDS SOME OF THE LANDSCAPING LIGHTS RUN ON 12 VOLT AND THE REPLACEMENT BULBS ARE NORMAL AUTOMOTIVE BULBS. THE FIXTURES I BOUGHT WERE HOODED AND ALL THE LIGHT SHINES DOWN AND LOOK GOOD I GET LOTS OF COMPLIMENTS ON THEM. HOPE IT HELPS.

Progress has been going pretty good. Got all the framing done. Plus put up the siding this morning. Next is the roof steel. Then wiring and insulating. The constuction part of the build is no problem with a building back round. Where I'm going to have to stop and really think is the wiring. The were to and how to will take me a while. If everything goes good I'll start that over the weekend.

I resided mt fish house last year so I was able to do all my copper and wiring in the walls. I put in 2 outlets and ran a short heavy gauge extension on the front, so i can use a generator. Even thought you might not use one, it only costs 15 bucks. I don't know if you go to LOW but the night can be long without a t.v. Especially if the wife is there. She had a much better time when I had the t.v. The one thing I wish I did was run a 12v outlet to the top bunk for a fan. Also I used thid corrugated aluminum from Home Depot to side it. To my surprise it only added about 140 lbs. and 10 times the strength. Also I put in a cooktop last year. The best option i did. When you can get up and do bacon and eggs on the lake instead of going in, that's what I'm talking about. I think it's ok to talk fish houses since we are on the backside of the year. Later

Exterior is done. Still have not started the wiring. Holding off on it for a few days until I decide on lighting position and type. Have gotten a lot of great ideas from every one who posted. Thanks! Keep the ideas coming!